Dance on terrestrial TV

55 minutes ago, MargaretN7 said:

Anyone else watch this? It was really weird. In the introduction they said Satie went to prison after the first performance  - for punching a critic. Hmm!

I tried to watch this but after about 10 minutes felt as baffled as I do when watching works by McGregor without programme notes (though sometimes I don't follow the notes either).  According to the BBC, it is a 're-imagined' work but with a new choreographer and designs only the music seems to be original. 

It's part of the celebrations (?) for the centenary of the Russian Revolution so I assume it's some sort of celebration of freedom from oppression.  The setting appeared to be in an Amazon distribution centre where the workers were being strangled in packing tape.  To add to their misery, the aircon must have been acting up making some of them strip to their underwear while others had donned woolly hats. Very symbolic but of what?

Perhaps it's a protest against the power of the internet giants taking over modern life?  I'd love to know what others made of it.

Linda

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

loveclassics - I think that you are correct in that only the music was original. Robery Joffrey worked with Massine in the early 1970s to recreate the original. Massine was able to contact some of the original dancers, who had moved to the USA, for their memories.  This new version draws heavily on Fritz Lang's Metropolis. The robot costume was a direct copy, as the image with the heart at the end.  The shoppers in that brief shot where referred to in the credits as Stepford Wives - another story about robot.

I liked the robot, liked the music but I thought overall it was pretty dull. Perhaps you had to be there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just opened my tv guide to find out that this evening on BBC2 at 10 pm there's a programme "Darcey Bussell: Dance Beyond Boundaries" featuring Canadian "ice dancing" (which I gather doesn't begin to describe it!) collective Le Patin Libre and street dance group Boy Blue Entertainment.  Apologies for the late notice.

While an interesting range of programmes (especially the Kenneth Macmillan doc) it once again seems to highlight the BBCs current obsession with screening ballet docs rather than ballets themselves. After showing an in-depth doc about the Nutcracker without showing the Nutcracker itself they now seem to be showing a doc. about Kenneth Macmillan without either one of his full length ballets or one of last years special Macmillan ballet programmes (which would have been potentially more interesting given the range of companies and dancers involved). Of course they might still be doing this and just not mentioned it as it wouldn't have been commissioned specially by their Arts Dept. but I have my doubts. They seem to think the 2 or 3 minute clips shown in these sort of docs (which often have commentators talking over them) are an adequate substitute for the real thing. It is as if they think modern audiences can't sit through a full length ballet and can only cope with short extracts which to me seems patronising in the extreme. I know they showed Matthew Bourne's Cinderella (which I fell asleep during!) and the other year they showed his Sleeping Beauty but it is as if they think the ballets produced by their 'partner' the ROH somehow aren't suitable; very strange.

• Like 5

I very much agree with jmhompton.  

In light of the suggestions from the Forum that 1 February Giselle would have been ideal for the BBC and ROH to have worked as partners and broadcast the performance, I was trying to think when was the last such occasion.  Was it Darcey Bussell's final performance in June 2007?  And wouldn't a repeat broadcast of 'Song of the Earth' complement the documentary?

I'm sure others with much better memories will correct me.

• Like 2

But you need to remember that dancers have unionised rights over the showing of their performances on broadcast media. I've been involved in talking through actors' contracts with Equity around recordings of their performances (although not for broadcast media) and there are rights to be protected. It may be that the broadcasters haven't wanted to pay for the broadcasting of performances, or the ballet companies don't wish to "sell" their productions in this way.

I wonder whether it is BBC reluctance to broadcast ballet performances or the ROH's decision to stream some of its performances which is the reason why the only ballet we get on the box is in the form of dance documentaries ? I can see that the company might be concerned that televising ballets might  reduce the audience for its streamed ballets but I am not convinced that it would and the company could always stipulate that the ballets shown on terrestrial television either had to be specially filmed for television broadcast or had to be recordings of performances which had been streamed four or five years ago. Of course it could be that any BBC filmed performance might show up the quality of Mr Dowson's efforts both as far as camera work and lighting are concerned. As far as arrangements with other companies such as Sky or Medici are concerned, Sky is not exactly active in the field at the moment and Medici is not available here.

As far as the BBC is concerned its charter may require it to inform,educate and entertain but "entertainment" does not seem to extend to screening ballet performances. Perhaps the BBC worries about its audience's attention span or perhaps it fears being accused of foisting elitist entertainment on its unsuspecting and trusting viewers .I don't know. A documentary shown on the BBC a couple of Christmases ago about televised ballet in the 1950's, when it was not sneering at the very idea of watching ballet on television, made it pretty clear that those televised performances did not materialize out of thin air. It suggested that de Valois pushed for them and stated that she took some control over how performances were shown to the viewer. Interestingly some of the company's televised performances during the 1960's and 70's were undertaken in the context of the development in television technology. The Sibley, Dowell Cinderella shown in 1968 was, I believe, one of the BBC's first, if not the first, televised outside broadcast in colour while a programme of ballets shown under the title ""The Royal Ballet Salutes the USA" was the first to be televised direct to the US via satellite.

Now I know that many can remember the days when the BBC had Dance Months but an awful lot of that output, like the Diaghilev documentaries was attributable to the enthusiasm of individuals like John Drummond who was an "unapologetic elitist" who thought that other people might have an interest in the arts, if they knew about them, and that they had the right to access them. It was far from being a corporate interest at the time. It would now seem that many in a position to make decisions about content and programming at the BBC see the average audience member as someone who only wants brain deadening entertainment.

As to performing rights and repeat fees I am pretty sure that the RB's dancers gave up their rights to additional payment for filmed performances and repeat fees in the 1990's at the time when the company was threatened with closure. In the talk Morera gave to Ballet Association in 2007 she referred to the company being given new contracts at the time it was out of the House and that losing their rights to payments for broadcasts was part of the price the dancers paid for their continued employment. If I recall correctly it was suggested by the powers that be that the simplest solution to the company being out of the House would be to disband it during the theatre's closure and establish a new one operating on seasonal contracts similar to those which American companies have. Anthony Russell Roberts said that at the point that it was being proposed that the company should be disbanded and  reestablished as a part time one when the House reopened was the point at which Dowell and he began to investigate whether the company's royal charter required them to be resident at the ROH. As he said neither Dowell nor he wanted to be responsible and remembered for destroying de Valois' creation, Britain's first full time ballet company.

So it seems to me that the reason that there is little ballet on television other than documentary is not additional costs but a lack of imagination and will on both sides but that the BBC probably should take more of the blame because it has already decided what its audience wants and what it does not want and it has decided that unlike endless repeats of the Old Grey Whistle Test their audience does not want ballet. But the really stupid thing about it is that the BBC actually needs reasonably priced product much as it did in the 1950's and the RB could do with more carefully managed exposure to the general public who contribute to its costs through their taxation.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 5

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:07, alison said:

Just opened my tv guide to find out that this evening on BBC2 at 10 pm there's a programme "Darcey Bussell: Dance Beyond Boundaries" featuring Canadian "ice dancing" (which I gather doesn't begin to describe it!) collective Le Patin Libre and street dance group Boy Blue Entertainment.  Apologies for the late notice.

Did anyone watch it? :)

Josephine, thank you for that link.  I'm particularly pleased to see the Michael Clark being televised, since the Barbican (once again) didn't bother to inform me that it was on and I missed out again.

• Like 1

All the recent ROH ballets televised on the BBC such as Woolf Works, Frankenstein, Carmen and beyond are new productions. Whether this is because it is easier to convince BBC Arts editors that new is more arty or the ROH is keener to show off its newer works I don't know. However Floss is certainly right to raise the factor of live streaming. With The Nutcracker in particular, the annual live screening in cinemas will certainly be a factor in not having a television screening as well to potentially reduce the cinema audience.

I am not clear why the only options for showing ballet on the BBC seem to revolve around either a live broadcast of a complete performance, or some sort of documentary with occasional 30 second segments of dance being shown before a talking head breaks in and obscures the view.  

What is wrong with a programme that allows various artists to perform in one of the television studios?  A short, 30 minute programme, maybe an arts based programme similar in style to the Jules Holland programmes.  Pre recorded, but in front of a small audience.  Perhaps based around certain themes: love, hate, jealousy or whatever.    With an opera singer performing an aria specific to the theme, followed by perhaps two classical ballet dancers performing a complete pdd, and then a classical musician playing something relevant.  With a compere who is both knowledgeable and interesting, saying something about the historical background of each piece, and perhaps a little about the technical aspects when performing? The performers don't have to be top stars or household names (which would presumably keep the costs down.)  Personally, I can think of several current soloists and even corps members of the RB whom I would love to see doing stuff normally reserved for those of higher rank.  And it would give ballet fans a chance to see dancers they might not normally see - which for me would be those from BRB, NB, etc.  No need for fancy scenery, elaborate stage settings, or a full orchestra.  The dancers could perform to a piano accompaniment.  

I am warming to this theme.  Anybody else up for this sort of programme?  And if the criticism is that nobody wants to watch it....well, how do they know if they haven't tried it? I personally would find that fascinating.  And I don't care if it does go out on BBC4, which as far as I am concerned does some of the most interesting programmes on television, and is the first channel I scan at the start of the week.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, alison said:

Did anyone watch it? :)

Josephine, thank you for that link.  I'm particularly pleased to see the Michael Clark being televised, since the Barbican (once again) didn't bother to inform me that it was on and I missed out again.

I did. I thought both pieces were very dull. In the prologue to the ice skating, the speaker said they had placed a camera at the end of the ice and decided that should be the view point of the audience, except the broadcast showed many different angles. It seemed to be the usual "let's use a different camera every three seconds" rule.

3 hours ago, trog said:

I did. I thought both pieces were very dull. In the prologue to the ice skating, the speaker said they had placed a camera at the end of the ice and decided that should be the view point of the audience, except the broadcast showed many different angles. It seemed to be the usual "let's use a different camera every three seconds" rule.

Agree with you about the hip-hop/contemporary/whateveritwas piece, we thought it was rather dull and (to my eyes) didn't offer anything new, but both DD and I really liked the ice skating piece, totally original and we'd never seen anything quite like it before.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trog said:

The Patin Libre video was made at Alexandra Palace where they performed in 2015. The live performance was a lot longer and in two parts. In the first the audience was seated on one side of the rink, in the second we were all moved to the end and, as I recall, the skating reflected this change in perspective. As one might expect it was much more engaging and aesthetically interesting when seen live.

There's another version of the video on the Dance Umbrella website which is slightly longer than the one on the BBC though I haven't run them side by side to see what the differences are.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Apologies for starting a new thread on this subject but I searched and couldn't find the previous one. As well as Northern Ballet's Casanova which is on Sky Arts tonight at 18.00 (this came up as Digital Theatre on my Virgin listing which had me confused at first), there is a repeat of Dancing in the Blitz: How World War Two Made British Ballet on BBC4 tonight at 00.30.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A press release from Sadler's Wells about the BBC4 Dance Series:

TGV0dGVyaGVhcmRKcGVnIC0gQ29weS5qcGc=

17 April 2018

Sadler’s Wells Partners with the BBC to present DanceWorks on BBC Four

In a new partnership, the BBC and Sadler’s Wells have curated and commissioned DanceWorks, four 30-minute artist-led films for broadcast on BBC Four this May as part of their forthcoming dance season, which was announced at a press conference at Sadler’s Wells this morning. 

Co-produced with Islington-based production company ClearStory, each film in the DanceWorks series introduces the audience to a different artist:Zenaida Yanowsky, Dickson Mbi, Carlos Pons Guerra and Shobana Jeyasingh. Following them as they create new work and gaining behind-the-scenes access to the creative process, these films allow viewers a unique insight into the world of dance in Britain today.

The films will be broadcast on BBC Four from Monday 7 - Thursday 10 May.

• The Dying Swan follows former Principal dancer Zenaida Yanowsky as she overcomes knee surgery and fights her body back to fitness to prepare for one of her final public performances following an acclaimed classical ballet career.  
  • The artistic process behind Shobana Jeyasingh’s new work, Contagion, an evocation of the 1918 flu epidemic, is revealed in Choreographing History. 
  • Dancer and choreographer Dickson Mbi is followed as he transitions from his street dance roots to the contemporary dance limelight under the guidance of his mentor, Akram Khan’s producer, Farooq Chaudhry. 
  • Prejudice and Passion follows Carlos Pons Guerra as he begins choreographing a new children’s production, the true story of two male penguins raising a baby penguin.

Alistair Spalding, Artistic Director and Chief Executive at Sadler’s Wells said: “At Sadler’s Wells, we’re always looking for ways to introduce the experience of high quality dance to the widest possible audience. Beyond the stage we also want people to be able to experience dance through different media. I’m delighted that our partnership with the BBC and ClearStory has enabled us to present these films on BBC Four, which will give viewers an opportunity to go behind the scenes with some of today’s most exciting artists and discover how they create dance.”

The BBC Four Dance Season launches on Sunday 6 May and lifts the curtain on today’s thriving dance scene, featuring some of today’s most exciting dance makers and the enduring legacy of others whilst shining a light on a broad range of dance styles from ballet and contemporary to tap and hip-hop.

The Dying Swan: Using the lyrical and elegant metaphor of a ballet classic about death, this film explores how a dancer fights age, the deterioration of the body over time and fear of retirement. Former Royal Ballet Principal Zenaida Yanowsky plans to overcome knee surgery and fight her body back to fitness so as to perform a swansong, one of ballet’s best-known of solos, The Dying Swan. For Yanowsky, this is one of her last public performances before drawing the curtains on an acclaimed classical ballet career. The film also features an encounter between Zenaida Yanowsky and a current rising star of The Royal Ballet, Russian dancer Natalia Osipova, as they exchange reflections on The Dying Swan routine.

Street to Stage: Dickson Mbi is at a critical breakthrough point in his career as he transitions from his street dance roots to the contemporary dance limelight. This film follows him as he wins the UK heat of the international street dance competition Keep on Dancing (KOD). This is nothing, however, compared to the challenge that now faces him as he starts to choreograph and perform his first contemporary dance solo under the watchful eyes of Akram Khan’s producer, Farooq Chaudhry. 

Prejudice and Passion: Audacious and funny, Leeds-based Carlos Pons Guerra creates darkly humorous, highly theatrical and vigorously physical work that often explores questions of gender and sexual identity. Now, he wants to bring his avant-garde style and preoccupations to a broader audience. This film follows Carlos Pons Guerra as he begins choreographing a new children’s production at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre, which tells a true story of two male penguins raising a chick. This work is about using dance to set an agenda - can he bring the fight for acceptance that has defined him into the mainstream and win over family audiences?

Choreographing History: Experimental and highly original, Shobana Jeyasingh’s new work Contagion will, through dance, evoke the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, which killed over 50 million people. This film offers a unique insight into a choreographer’s artistic process and their sources of inspiration as Jeyasingh researches the pandemic and attempts to translate what she finds into movement, working closely with dancers on the stage.

Jonty Claypole, Director of BBC Arts said: “Dance has the power to bring together different communities and generations in a shared love of creative expression, and you only have to look at the extraordinary diversity of dance talent and audiences right across the UK to realise how successfully it fulfils this promise. As part of our forthcoming Dance Season we’re delighted to be partnering with Sadler’s Wells for the first time to present these four fascinating DanceWorks films, placing the spotlight on some of the UK’s most exciting dancers.”

ClearStory Executive Producers Molly Milton and Russell Barnes said: “This has been a creatively exciting partnership with Sadler’s Wells. Through working so closely and intimately with leading dancers and choreographers, ClearStory has been able to push the boundaries of what a dance film can be, threading performance through an observational narrative.  We hope viewers come away with a fresh perspective and insight into the world behind the stage curtain.”

Production Company:                         Sadler’s Wells & ClearStory

Director:                                               Glen Milner

Producer:                                             Bia Oliveira

Executive Producers:                           Russell Barnes, Molly Milton, Alistair Spalding

Exec Producer for BBC:                       Emma Cahusac

Notes to Editors:

Contagion is co-commissioned by Shobana Jeyasingh Dance and 14-18 NOW, the UK’s arts programme for the First World War centenary, with support from the National Lottery through Arts Council England and the Heritage Lottery Fund, and from the Department for Culture Media and Sport.

Supported by The Deborah Loeb Brice Donor Advised Fund at CAF America, Garcia Family Foundation, Dr Michael and Anna Brynberg Charitable Foundation, Oak Foundation and Wellcome.

Sadler’s Wells’ other broadcast and digital projects in 2018

In addition to the Danceworks films with the BBC, Sadler’s Wells’ other broadcast and digital projects in 2018 include a partnership with Channel 4’s Random Acts to commission three original films from Julie Cunningham, Alesandra Seutin and Botis Seva for broadcast later in the year. Linked to the new works the artists are creating for Reckonings in the 20th Anniversary week, the films will be creative entities in their own right, offering the three distinctive younger artists an opportunity to tell their stories in a different medium to a wider audience. 

Celestial Motion is a new virtual reality experience adapted from Alexander Whitley’s production 8 Minutes, which premiered at the theatre in June 2017 and was commissioned as part of the New Wave Associates programme. This is the first arts-inspired experience made by The Guardian’s award-winning VR team, with the Alexander Whitley Dance Company in association with Sadler’s Wells. It uses the latest 360 and motion capture technology to explore the human relationship with the Sun, enabling viewers to get closer to the dancers. Audiences previewed it at the theatre’s Sampled festival on 2 & 3 February 2018. Celestial Motion is available to view on Daydream and will be available on Google Cardboard and YouTube 360 video later this year. Download The Guardian’s new VR app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

About Sadler’s Wells

Sadler's Wells is a world-leading creative organisation dedicated to dance in all its forms. With over three centuries of theatrical heritage and a year-round programme of performances and learning activities, it is the place where artists come together to create dance, and where people of all backgrounds come to experience it – to take part, learn, experiment and be inspired.

Audiences of over half a million come to its London theatres each year, with many more enjoying its touring productions at venues across the UK and around the world, and accessing its content through digital channels.

Sadler's Wells commissions, produces and presents more new dance work than any other theatre in the world, embracing the popular and the unknown. Since 2005, it has helped to bring over 160 new dance works to the stage, many of them involving its 16 Associate Artists, three Resident Companies and four Associate Companies – the most exciting talents working in dance today.

It also nurtures the next generation of talent through research and development, running the National Youth Dance Company and a range of programmes including Wild Card, New Wave Associates, Open Art Surgery and Summer University. Sadler's Wells' learning and engagement activities reach over 25,000 annually through programmes that take dance out into the community and invite communities into the theatre. Projects include community productions and the renowned Company of Elders, its resident over-60s performance group, while events range from pre and post-show talks with dance artists to classes, workshops and assisted performances.

Located in Islington, north London, the current building is the sixth to have stood on site since entrepreneur Richard Sadler first established the theatre in 1683. The venue has played an illustrious role in the history of theatre ever since, with The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and English National Opera having all started at Sadler's Wells.

sadlerswells.com

About ClearStory

ClearStory (www.clearstory.co.uk) is run by the BAFTA and Grierson Award-winning Executive Producers Molly Milton and Russell Barnes. The company has built a reputation for its dynamic and diverse creative output. ClearStory productions released in 2017 include a humorous biography of Damien Hirst, Passions: Damien Hirst by Harry Hill, for Sky Arts, The Great Village Green Crusade, a feature-length science documentary about renewable energy, and Utopia: In Search of the Dream, a three-part series about visions of a better future, for BBC4. ClearStory is currently in production with three major new BBC projects due to broadcast in 2018.

About BBC Arts

The BBC is the biggest creator of arts content and is Britain's creative partner – a stage for the nation to experience the very best arts; when they want, how they want. 

• The nation’s stage: access to arts and culture programming for all through the licence fee – we create and showcase more arts and culture than any other broadcaster 

• An Innovator: constantly finding new ways to bring the best quality culture to audiences; working with the arts sector as partner and acting as a hot house for new talent 

• Britain’s creative partner: a bold force in the UK creative sector as creator and commissioner, also a platform for new talent 

• An investor in quality: we only present the highest quality arts and culture programming, crafted by skilled production teams and shared with all audiences 

• Bringing the nation together: like no other we create and amplify moments in arts and culture, cutting through with a broad audience 

• Like 1

Schedule for BBC4's Danceworks series - all at 7.30pm:

The Dying Swan - Zenaida Yanowsky has to fight her body back to fitness so as to perform a swansong. May 7

Street to Stage - Follows dancer Dickson Mbi at a critical point in his career. May 8

Choreographing History - Film which reveals the artistic process behind Shobana Jeyasingh's new work. May 9

Prejudice and Passion -  An insight into Carlos Pons Guerra's work, exploring questions of gender and sexual identity. May 10

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, alison said:

Thanks, John.  So, no indication as yet as to when the other items are to be scheduled?  I'm thinking Kenneth MacMillan, Michael Clark et al.

Sunday May 6 at 9pm (MacMillan) and 10pm (Michael Clark)

:

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/ghsxjq/ballets-dark-knight---sir-kenneth-macmillan/

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/ghsxjt/michael-clarks-to-a-simple-rock-n-roll---song/

Edited to add that I just had another look at the Radio Times listings and, when I clicked on the unnamed item at 10.55, I found 'Duet', a short film featuring Yasmine Naghdi and Beatriz Stix-Brunell.

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/ghsxjs/duet/

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

Thanks, Bluebird.

Not that I'm wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, or anything, but do they have to bunch them all together in one week like that (especially since I have 4 live performances that week.  Grrrr!)?  I suppose some will eventually get reshown, but it tends to be pretty hit or miss whether you pick up on them in time.