alison

Dance on terrestrial TV

So pleased to see Woolf Works again, as often happens the picture quality was better on my TV than the cinema, and I could hear Virginia Woolf's words properly for the first time too!  The first ballet is still my favourite, love the music, makes me want to dance!

Caught the first act of this yesterday at 1.30 am just as I was about to go to bed after a pretty exhausting weekend my partner called me back with " Hey theres ballet on the tv!!" 

I went back and Wolf works had just started I'd forgotten it was on 

I stayed to watch the first Act and loved it all over again enjoying some of the closer shots too.....in fact I think I enjoyed it even more and saw more lovely detail I'd missed before etc. Lovely surprise. 

Will have to catch up with the other two acts on I-player though.

On 27/03/2017 at 17:27, Jane S said:

On Sunday April 2nd at 8 pm BBC4 is showing a 1-hour programme called Giselle: Belle of the Ballet, in which Tamara Rojo uses ENB's two productions as a basis for an examination of "the cultural and social background to the ballet's genesis in 1840s Paris, and the spiritual themes that have fuelled its success over the last 175 years."

There's a clip showing the first 3 minutes of the programme here

This is about to be repeated on BBC2.

Ed Watson has posted to say he is appearing on Sunday Brunch on Channel 4 this morning. I can't find the running order to work out when during the programme his 'segment' is (or whether it was during the first hour of broadcast before I knew to turn it on although the programme's twitter feed hasn't mentioned him yet so assume not). Fingers crossed we haven't missed it! If not will have to catch up online. 

I managed to watch it on the 'All 4' app, Ed's appearance is at approx 20mins 45secs. It's promo for the Alice's Adventures in Wonderland cinema relay but he talks about his career and what the future might hold too. 

On 04/11/2017 at 16:37, RMM1 said:

BBC4  10.40pm on Sunday 5th November. A reworking of Parade by the National Dance Company of Wales.

Anyone else watch this? It was really weird. In the introduction they said Satie went to prison after the first performance  - for punching a critic. Hmm!

55 minutes ago, MargaretN7 said:

Anyone else watch this? It was really weird. In the introduction they said Satie went to prison after the first performance  - for punching a critic. Hmm!

I tried to watch this but after about 10 minutes felt as baffled as I do when watching works by McGregor without programme notes (though sometimes I don't follow the notes either).  According to the BBC, it is a 're-imagined' work but with a new choreographer and designs only the music seems to be original. 

It's part of the celebrations (?) for the centenary of the Russian Revolution so I assume it's some sort of celebration of freedom from oppression.  The setting appeared to be in an Amazon distribution centre where the workers were being strangled in packing tape.  To add to their misery, the aircon must have been acting up making some of them strip to their underwear while others had donned woolly hats. Very symbolic but of what?

Perhaps it's a protest against the power of the internet giants taking over modern life?  I'd love to know what others made of it.

Linda

I forgot it was on until about halfway through, so you can imagine how bemused I was!  Plus I misread/interpreted "reworking" :(

loveclassics - I think that you are correct in that only the music was original. Robery Joffrey worked with Massine in the early 1970s to recreate the original. Massine was able to contact some of the original dancers, who had moved to the USA, for their memories.  This new version draws heavily on Fritz Lang's Metropolis. The robot costume was a direct copy, as the image with the heart at the end.  The shoppers in that brief shot where referred to in the credits as Stepford Wives - another story about robot.

I liked the robot, liked the music but I thought overall it was pretty dull. Perhaps you had to be there.