Dance on terrestrial TV

Clearly a thread doomed to have little life in it, but still:

This Saturday, at 7.30 on BBC4, a repeat of "Nureyev: From Russia with Love"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0080kjw

Oh, and if anyone was hoping for some more performances on terrestrial TV, it emerged from the Metamorphosis insight evening this evening that Sky Arts have grabbed that as well.

EDIT: General rule of thumb: if it can be received using Freeview only, it goes here!

Edited by alison
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time there was something new on an open terrestrial network? .... I guess it was Alice in 2011 (with last Christmas being a repeat of the same as their token offering).  Perhaps Tony Hall will wave a magic wand ... or perhaps the BBC won't get the license fee renewed ... (justified in my view) .... and all would have to be a tad more careful in terms of overall response.  (Certainly it could not be any more lackadaisical than now surely).  

• 1 year later...

I was watching a repeat of a documentary with Dan Cruickshank the other day, and was totally unable to concentrate on the documentary itself, as I was avidly listening to all the wonderful incidental music - from ballets!

Yes, I think the new BBC person in charge of incidental music on BBC2 & BBC4 must be a secret ballet lover.    I noticed a lot of ballet music being used lately, for example the recent BBC4 programme about the Romanov princesses featured Prokofiev's Cinderella and Michael Portillo's latest series of continental railway journeys (what a lovely job he has!) has also used music from many different ballets.  Sometimes, like taxiforballet, I completely miss what's happening as I try to place the music.

Linda

Edited by loveclassics

• 10 months later...

I am sure that most people are aware that the BBC's charter is up for renewal i am not sure how many people have registered the fact that the BBC is conducting a survey about its future. I haven't had a look at it properly and I know that it closes early next month, the 5th, I think.I imagine that at some point the questionaire will ask about the range of the corporation's coverage and what it should concentrate on or what it could do better.I haven't got the link but you can find it by googling BBC FUTURE SURVEY.

Tomorrow night (Friday), BBC4 at 8 pm: Balletboyz at the Roundhouse: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06l17fl - featuring Serpent by Liam Scarlett and Fallen by Russell Maliphant.

There was a review on ArtsDesk (via yesterday's links).

As I can't watch the BBC i-player, I looked for it on youtube yesterday and found that some kind soul had put it up there. This is a very interesting and well made documentary, I enjoyed it very much.

"Fallen" is SO beautiful, I wish the BalletBoyz could bring it here.

The Roundhouse looks like a fantastic venue.

Thanks Alison for the notice!

I watched this last night, really starting to like Max Richter's music, Infra, Woolf Works and now Serpent (this uses various pieces of music), enjoyed Fallen too which was a contrast to the sinuous Serpent, this programme mixed performances of the ballets with interesting explanations from the choreographers, dancers, and Paul Murphy.

• 6 months later...

This programme contains what must be one of the best masterclasses for dancing the black swan pdd, by Tamara Rojo and a delightfully puzzled young prince, Vadim Muntagirov. Should be essential viewing for all those dancing Odile. She could kill with a flash of those eyes alone!

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...

Not sure if this the right place to mention but the regional BBC Inside Out programme had an interesting piece last night, about the Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds and its founder Nadine Senior. Don't know if it is generally available on BBC iplayer, should've looked before I posted,sorry.

Edited by Jacqueline

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that "Darcey Bussell Dances Hollywood" is repeated on BBC4 in less than 15 minutes.

Ms Bussell announced on the Jonathan Ross Show that she has been recording a programme on Margot Fonteyn, to be aired "nearer Christmas"!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The royal ballet production of Frankenstein will be broadcast on  BBC4 next sunday 30th October at 8 pm.

Delighted - great news. Thank you greypuss. This question now becomes - with Frankenstein committed to air next Sunday, what will be the traditional  BBC Xmas Ballet? Dare one hope for Khan's Giselle?

• Like 1

The royal ballet production of Frankenstein will be broadcast on  BBC4 next sunday 30th October at 8 pm.

Oh thank you, greypuss. I missed out on Frankenstein but my daughter saw it at ROH and loved it. I'll make a note to record it.

• Like 2

A number of new BBC ballet programmes have been announced.  I've pasted in the summary below (the link is below the summary).

The BBC today (Thursday 27 October) announced a new raft of dance programming for winter 2016.
  • Darcey Bussell searches for the real Margot Fonteyn, for BBC One
  • BalletBoyz present the first ever full length feature film to be made by a dance company – Young Men – for BBC Two
  • BBC Two goes behind-the-scenes at the Royal Ballet’s renowned Christmas production, The Nutcracker
  • BBC Four marks Sir Peter Wright’s 90th birthday with a documentary featuring his first major profile interview
  • Plus, BBC Young Dancer returns on BBC Two and BBC Four, providing a platform for dancers aged 16-21 in a search for the next generation of dance talent

Highlights include a Christmas special for BBC Two going behind-the-scenes at the Royal Ballet’s festive production, The Nutcracker; an exploration of the life, loves and career of Margot Fonteyn presented by Darcey Bussell for BBC One; and a programme marking the 90th birthday of a legend of British ballet, Sir Peter Wright, on BBC Four.

The internationally acclaimed, all-male BalletBoyz present the first ever full length feature film to be made by a dance company. A world premiere on BBC Two in November, Young Men follows a group of young soldiers as they experience the indiscriminate brutality of warfare.

Plus, following the success of BBC Young Dancer 2015’s inaugural competition, the search for the next generation of dance talent continues. Launching on BBC Four in March 2017, BBC Young Dancer 2017 will culminate in a Grand Final at Sadler’s Wells on 22 April 2017.

More details here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/winter-dance-programming

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 7