Stanislavsky at ENO in summer 2013?

There have been two recent interviews with Polunin.  Both were in the links.  One was in the Telegraph.  I don't remember where the other one was.

In each of these interviews he said that the Stanislavsky would be coming to the Coliseum in July and that he would be dancing in Coppelia.  Here is the link to the Telegraph interview: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/9824446/Ballets-prodigal-son-interview-with-Sergei-Polunin.html

Edited to add that I've just reread the Telegraph interview and it only implies that he will be dancing in Coppelia.  I'm pretty sure the other interview made it seem more certain.  Perhaps someone who remembers where the other interview is can confirm?

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

I've seen those interviews and both said Polunin would be dancing in Coppelia in July, I think the 2nd interview was in the Times which specifically mentioned the Coliseum ? I did then look at the Coli website and there appears to be a slot after Boston Ballet.

Edited by annamk
  • Like 1

These quotes from both papers mention Polunin in 'Coppelia' in London this July:

“ … he relishes learning new ballets such as Roland Petit's version of Coppélia, which the Stanislavsky will bring to London in July.”

“… while Zelensky is bringing the Stanislavsky Ballet to the Coliseum with Coppélia in July, again with Polunin in the leading male role.”
The Times, February 12 2013 
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

It's charming and funny with a big, romantic role for Dr Coppelius who was originally played by Petit himself.  I certainly don't remember it as dark or unsuitable for children, although it's perhaps a little sophisticated.

I've always liked Roland Petit's choreography, I find it stylish although it can be rather quirky at times, never seen Coppelia so look forward to it, with or without Sergei Polunin. Prices are high again but there is a small reduction for OAP's and others, any little perk from the Coliseum is welcome!

• Like 1

Aileen -

It's intended to be light and comic (in the Stanislavsky performances at least), although personally I find the Coppelius character quite tragic.  It has a romantic storyline, but I wouldn't say it's sexual.

It's brightly presented (e.g. pink and blue costumes) by the Stanislavsky and it has some big fun set-pieces, so I think would be quite enjoyable for children.

I nearly fell off my seat £120?!  They must be VIP tickets/meet and greet or something.  The other tickets are "normal" prices £85 being top and down...I'll think about it - if Sergei is dancing then maybe.

Polunin is supposed to be dancing the opening evening (11th) and the two weekend matinees (13th and 14th).  The first two performances I believe with Kristina Shapran, and the final with Erika Mikirticheva.

Polunin is supposed to be dancing the opening evening (11th) and the two weekend matinees (13th and 14th).  The first two performances I believe with Kristina Shapran, and the final with Erika Mikirticheva.

My money would have been on him dancing all the evenings, but this is a good ploy to get people to book for the matinees :)

Hope you are right though as I've booked for the 11th.

From the Guardian interview published today:

The six performances will run from 11 to 14 July, with three featuring Polunin. Hopefully, that is.

"You have to take it day by day," he said. "But it's pretty certain I will come."

What gives with this guy (????) .... especially when his now resident Company has obviously paid for him to come over and give interviews in promotion!

Forgive me, but I would have hoped that Polunin was now old/mature enough to fundamentally understand his job and be able - for at least a bit - to look beyond himself.  Am I alone to find the 'pretty certain' downright insulting???  From comments like the above it makes me for one (and I realise I may be in a minority here) question his commitment to anyone other than himself and certainly feel that the RB (and the British tax payer) is well out of his concern.  Who was it who said: 'everything happens for a reason'.  Osipova's comments in terms of her own commitment to the RB come as a relative oasis in such a regard.  I'm sorry Sergei but the privilege of an audience's appreciation not only has to be earned it has to be maintained.  Perhaps our dear Mr. Polunin has had one too many free lunches.  Everything, I fear, in the end has a price for even you, dear sir.     

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 2

A friend of mine asked the management at the Stanislavsky Theatre about casting for other dates. They replied:

12 July mat - Sobolevsky, N.Somova

12 July evn - Velichko, Mikirticheva

13 July evn - Velichko, N.Somova

Edited for technical hick-up.

Edited by Amelia

As it happens am in London that weekend so might try and go but not at £85 a time!! I could make the sat eve or sun mat. But I wouldn't be tempted to rely on Polunin just at the moment....he must have injury probs doesn't want to publicly admit to or perhaps he has some degree of mental health issue.......that he can't get the better of at the moment.....I say this because I am loathe to believe any dancer just acting on mercenary principles alone.

I have found out about this rather late as I am currently in hospital and without regular Internet access and I am relying upon newspapers for ballet info and not the wonderful ballet co forum :( however should I be well enough I would love to see Sergei perform in coppelia! There appears to be only restricted view tickets remaining though:(

As it happens am in London that weekend so might try and go but not at £85 a time!! 

The seats at the very sides of the balcony are only £5.  The view is only slightly restricted.  You can't, however, buy these seats online.  You either have  to get them on the phone or in person.

• Like 1

Thanks Bluebird it looks like a turn up on the day and see what I can get at this point I have been very lucky with returns in recent years.

However if Polunin manages to stay on track does dance the matinee I wouldn't rate my chances so much then!! I'm sure it will then be a sell out.

I have found out about this rather late as I am currently in hospital and without regular Internet access and I am relying upon newspapers for ballet info and not the wonderful ballet co forum :( however should I be well enough I would love to see Sergei perform in coppelia! There appears to be only restricted view tickets remaining though:(

Eh?  There are still tickets at all prices for the first night, at least.  And if Polunin's performances do all sell out I'm sure I could go and see one of the other casts instead - casting of Franz isn't what I tend to look for in most Coppelias - is Petit's version any different?

Oh, and hope you get better soon, lartiste.

Yes I agree Alison I would be going to see that company and a different version of Coppelia not just Polunin.......who I have never seen dance.....but others seem to rate him highly!! In practical terms the eve would be better for me anyway so no probs with other dancers.....except a little bit of me wants to go and see what all the fuss is about so if he does do what he says maybe I'll be tempted by the matinee after all!

There's an interview with Polunin in the Sunday Times( main paper) and unfortunately to me he doesn't seem to have much understanding of the real world out there but then he is very young and some take longer to mature or...just always remain mavericks slightly outside main stream thinking. It does seem sad that he thinks he was really only happy when a young child before school age.

I notice that on the Coliseum's website the production is advertised as "Roland Petit's Coppelia starring Sergei Polunin". Personally, I feel that all these interviews that Polunin gives are ill advised. Many of his comments just alienate people but, presumably, the Stanislavsky takes the view that no publicity is bad publicity. I've booked for this production because I'm interested in seeing what Roland Petit's version is like and because my daughter would like to see Coppelia again, having recently performed in her ballet schools's production. Polunin is due to dance in the performance which I have booked but, if he doesn't, I don't mind provided that his replacement is good (I know nothing about any of the other dancers). I feel that Polunin is getting a bit big for his boots and that he overestimates his box office appeal. BRB's Coppelia seems to have sold well at the Coliseum last year (certainly, the Saturday night was packed) without any advertised "stars" or "controversial" interviews.