Missing ballet through illness

charlie4dancin

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a lovely evening C4D - I'm sure your dd will have a brilliant time. It's sounds like just the right ballet to lift the spirits - should provide lots of drawing inspiration too ;) Hope all goes smoothly and you can relax and enjoy yourselves :)

• Like 1

I've only just found this thread.....I'm so sorry your daughter was so unwell, Charlie, but the fact that you are at the ballet tonight shows that she is on the mend.  For inspiration, you could tell her the story of Royal Ballet principal Lauren Cuthbertson, who was so ill three years ago that she couldn't get out of bed, and had to start walking again for two or three minutes at a time.  From that state, she never gave up, returned to full health through good care and incredibly hard work, and returned to the stage much the better dancer than she had been before, both technically and, more especially, dramatically/emotionally. She had been out for a year.  Unfortunately, she has been plagued by injuries since then, but is still fighting to come back strong again.  Tell your dd that your mind can often beat your body if they work together.

Do let us know how your evening went!   By the way, I'm very impressed with your dd's drawing on the profile pic....for a 10 or 11 year-old, it's excellent!

• Like 3

Hi ballet co...

We are getting ready to go to the theatre to see Birmingham Royal Ballet perform Aladdin ;) DD's first proper look out since becoming unwell last November... I am slightly nervous about it all going smoothly, getting parked and walking with crutches to the theatre and her having a long evening!!

I'm sure it will be worth it ;)

Cx

Thanks everyone we loved BRB Aladdin but had to leave after the Act 2... Still delighted we managed the first 2 Acts and dd had a lovely time with lovely company ;)

Emslove2dance so sorry we missed your dd last night we were unable to wander about during the intervals... We did see EYB friends last night ;) the carpark wasn't too bad thanks...

Cx

• Like 3

I've only just found this thread.....I'm so sorry your daughter was so unwell, Charlie, but the fact that you are at the ballet tonight shows that she is on the mend.  For inspiration, you could tell her the story of Royal Ballet principal Lauren Cuthbertson, who was so ill three years ago that she couldn't get out of bed, and had to start walking again for two or three minutes at a time.  From that state, she never gave up, returned to full health through good care and incredibly hard work, and returned to the stage much the better dancer than she had been before, both technically and, more especially, dramatically/emotionally. She had been out for a year.  Unfortunately, she has been plagued by injuries since then, but is still fighting to come back strong again.  Tell your dd that your mind can often beat your body if they work together.

Do let us know how your evening went!   By the way, I'm very impressed with your dd's drawing on the profile pic....for a 10 or 11 year-old, it's excellent!

Thanks for the inspiration Sim its very much appreciated it seems like we have been stuck in a bubble for 4/5 months and knowing there is light at the end of a very long tunnel is a relief...

Thanks she loves drawing and has quite a portfolio now ;)

Cx

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Morning all ;)

Just thought I would update everyone... Dd is making progress and managed to walk unaided this week :) it's been a very emotional few days for her... I am continually trying to keep her motivated and have told her how extremely proud we are of her!! She obviously wants to run before she can walk so we need to set out a plan to keep her on track and healthy physically, emotionally and mentally so lots to think about and changes to be made to move carefully forward!!

Thank you to everyone for your kindness, help and support we really appreciate it.... Thought I would share this quote I sent to my dd this week with a "Alice in Wonderland" pic...

"A... "What road do I take?"

CC..."Where are you going?"

A... "I don't know.

CC... "Then it doesn't matter. if you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."

Cx

• Like 22

Hi C4D,

Just to share - obviously I do not know what your daughter's condition is , but assuming it is the same as the head girl of my school . After a huge struggle which involved being in clinic for 6 months, she is now back to dancing , looking better than she has ever looked , and with renewed vigour . She is laying to rest all our fears about any long term damage , and I thank God that her fighting spirit , her friends , and of course her Mum ! got her through this . please don't think I am making assumptions , just wanted to share good news . I wish dd well and well done to you , I know its hard , - hang on in there. xxxx

• Like 3

A wonderful step in the right direction for you all. The quote from Alice in Wonderland brought tears to my eyes with the thought of all you are going through. Don't look back now and good luck with the next stage. 

• Like 1

I've only recently joined the forum so possibly coming in "unknown" to this thread but wishing your dd a speedy recovery. For someone who is so passionate about dance to be so unwell must be very very difficult. And my thoughts are with you.

From a different perspective your dd's artwork is fabulous. I mean really fabulous (and I spent 6 years training in art!). She should definitely try, when she is well enough, to sketch her friends in class, (a Degas for the 21st century). Not only will help from a dance point of view but also art-wise. You'll probably find some parent or even the teacher will want them on their walls...perhaps even at a price! A small exhibition on the dance school's walls? Or just for fun... whichever way her pointe shoe picture is amazing.

Wishing your daughter well,  X

• Like 4

Hi C4D,

Just to share - obviously I do not know what your daughter's condition is , but assuming it is the same as the head girl of my school . After a huge struggle which involved being in clinic for 6 months, she is now back to dancing , looking better than she has ever looked , and with renewed vigour . She is laying to rest all our fears about any long term damage , and I thank God that her fighting spirit , her friends , and of course her Mum ! got her through this . please don't think I am making assumptions , just wanted to share good news . I wish dd well and well done to you , I know its hard , - hang on in there. xxxx

Lovely to hear tutugirl and thank you for sharing your story with us ;) I agree dd fighting spirit is returning, she has had continued support from our family and has had support here at home from lovely friends away from dancing which has been refreshing for her to recover without feeling pressure or feel like she has to talk about what she has missed or equally so left behind!!!

Obviously we have been there for every step of the way willing her to recover ;) lots of smiles, love and encouragement!

Cx