News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Angela, am I right in thinking that Berlin State Ballet is a classical company much like the Royal Ballet? Who would be an obvious (and acceptable) successor to Malakhov?

Absolutely, Aileen. I don't see a successor, and certainly no obvious successor - in my opinion you don't throw out a ballet director without having a least an idea what should happen to your ballet company in the future, but it seems that's what they did. Malakhov made some unlucky decisions in the past about the story ballets he acquired, and the papers there don't like old-fashioned ballets like Ashton's Syvlvia or the Bolshoi version of Esmeralda, they want more new works. But when they show new works, the audience doesn't come, difficult situation. Malakhov has a great eye for ballerinas, he discovered Polina Semionova and made her principal dancer with 17 or 18 years (her departure last year was another stone on his grave), the company has fine female soloists. Of course the dancers are uncertain what will happen now, a normal thing when a new AD comes.

Angela, do the audiences in Berlin like the more old-fashioned story ballets or do they prefer new work as well? Of course, there are other ballets which are neither old-fashioned nor new. Are Cranko's and Neumeier's ballets not performed much in Berlin?

They have Cranko's Onegin and Romeo, no Neumeier currently, but something rather modern like Preljocaj's Snow White was also a huge success. They show Eifman's Tchaikovsky and Peer Gynt by Heinz Spoerli, modern full-evening ballets like Caravaggio by Bigonzetti or The Open Square by Itzik Galili. Some classics like Sleeping Beauty or Nutcracker in Malakhov's versions (not so great), La Peri, La Esmeralda, Swan Like of course. Very few double or triple bills. Here's their repertory for 2012/2013

Duato is now officially announced as AD in Berlin. Here is a link to a less-than-enthusiastic article in Die Welt with the revealing title "The choreographer from the banana wholesaler" and the subtitle "a portrait of yesterday's man", the concluding sentence of which is "But unfortunately Duato is no longer an interesting name internationally."

Edited by toursenlair

Here's the first picture of Duato in Berlin, with mayor Klaus Wowereit - who, as the article in BZ says, asked the journalists to be less aggressive with the new AD; seems like many of their questions remained without an answer. Duato said that it's a dream to become director of such a famous company (well, what else would he say), that he will keep the classical repertory and hire young choreographers (no names yet - must have been one of the questions :-)). Duato himself has to make one new piece per year and he could imagine to hire Sasha Waltz who threatens to leave Berlin. He will keep Malakhov's co-director and dramaturg Christiane Theobald.

Duato will not leave St. Petersburg, says this Press Release from the Mikhailovsky:

"In 2014 Nacho Duato will become the head of the Staatsballett Berlin. At the same time he’ll continue his work with the Mikhailovsky Ballet Company as Resident Choreographer.

The famous Spanish choreographer Nacho Duato will be the director of the German ballet company: in August 2014, after Vladimir Malakhov’s contract expires, Duato will become Intendant of the Staatsballett Berlin. Nacho Duato will continue his work as Artistic Director of the Mikhailovsky Ballet till 1 February 2014, afterwards he’ll continue his work with the Company as Resident Choreographer.

The upcoming plans of the choreographer at the Mikhailovsky Theatre include the première of a one-act ballet set to Andrzej Panufnik’s musiс (the working title – Promenade). In May his famous Na Floresta, the ballet to music by Heitor Villa-Lobos, will also première at the Mikhailovsky Theatre.

In December 2013 the choreographer will present to the public his version of Pyotr Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker. Duato’s “Russian period” is characterized by his attention to the titles of the classical ballet repertoire. In future Nacho Duato will continue producing new ballets for the Mikhailovsky Ballet and will personally ensure the quality of the performance of his ballets.

“My “Russian period” is of great importance for me, my Russian experience is absolutely priceless. But nobody can sit on two chairs at once. When I got the offer from Berlin, I discussed it with Vladimir Kekhman very thoroughly. We reached mutual understanding, and I think, we found a solution, when my open-ended obligations towards the Mikhailovsky Theatre will be slightly different. I’m not going to part with Russia or with my dancers. My future work with Berlin, among other things, means co-production with the Mikhailovsky Theatre, ballet stars guest appearances, other forms of cooperation,” Nacho Duato says.

“The new quality of the Mikhailovsky Ballet acquired due to its work with Nacho Duato is obvious to everybody. I’m grateful to the great master for everything that he’s done and will do for our theatre. At the beginning of our cooperation, when we were discussing his work with us, Nacho Duato outlined two stages of work with the company: at first, the dancers work only with him, then, when the company is ready, he’d pave the way for different styles and would invite other choreographers to the theatre. We can say, we have successfully completed the first stage. The name of the new Artistic Director of the Mikhailovsky Ballet, starting in 2014, will be announced till the end of the season,” Vladimir Kekhman comments."

Trip to Munich coming up to see "Migratory Birds". This is a piece by Jiří Kylián and includes, as a precursor to the performance, a trip through the bowels of the National Theatre where various "birds" are tucked in corners etc.

Hopefully this is a link  http://www.bayerische.staatsoper.de/922-ZG9tPWRvbTImaWQ9MTU2MyZsPWVu-~spielplan~ballett~veranstaltungen~vorstellung.html

• Like 1

Oh that sounds fab Julie.  A couple of years ago we enjoyed a Kylian evening at the Royal Theatre in Copenhagen including a trip through the bowels of the theatre.  I don't know if the ending will be the same but I won't say what it was in case I ruin the surprise!  It was a wonderful evening altogether.  Please report back....

Best is that at the end of the trip through the bowels, you climb up the stairs and stand right in the middle of the stage of the huge theatre - great moment! Enjoy, Julie!

Angela - I wasn't going to mention that for the surprise factor!!  That's what happened in Copenhagen too.  We were some of the first through and it was great when we were sat back down watching the amazement on people's faces!

Ah i already knew. Martin told me. Think I have one of the later tickets so the theatre will be quite full I expect as it is sold out. I am really looking forward to it.

For those who like Dr Who the National Theatre in Munich is quite scary (in a fun way) as it has these massive angels. Dr Who had some very scarey episodes about Weeping Angels and it was the first thing I noticed the first time I went.

Fortunately Martin is also a Dr Who fan so when the first thing I said was "Don't Blink" he fully understood.lol

• Like 3

I'm sorry!!!! :huh: Forgive me, Julie, I really should read the other posts first before bursting out with my exitement! But there's so much to discover down there, it'll still be a surprise journey. Didn't know Kylian made the same thing for Copenhagen too, interesting. *shame on me*

• Like 1

I'm sorry!!!! :huh: Forgive me, Julie, I really should read the other posts first before bursting out with my exitement! But there's so much to discover down there, it'll still be a surprise journey. Didn't know Kylian made the same thing for Copenhagen too, interesting. *shame on me*

It was a mixed programme that had Petite Mort, Bella Figura and a couple of other things as well as a closing duet specially made for Gudrun Bojesen and Thomas Lund.  The bowels tour (which we knew nothing about till we got to the theatre) way over-ran.  The performance didn't start until around 2130 (over an hour late) but it was great fun and a truly memorable evening.  I wish I had a photograph of my friend and I's faces when we walked up the stairs and found ourselves on the main stage of the theatre!

FWIW, this forum does have a "Spoiler" feature which you can use to cover up postings where you might otherwise spoil a surprise.  For example,

salacious piece of really juicy gossip

It's slightly hidden away, but if you select the third icon from the left in the top row (i.e. next to the Font field) you can select "Spoiler" and then click "OK".

• 2 weeks later...

Well a very interesting performance. The tour through the bowels was fascinating but actually I would have liked it to be darker and to have more "birds". Obviously it is quite packed with people though they stagger the groups.

It was certainly amazing to stand on the stage. We were very much at the front because of course, they cannot risk us traipsing over the bit they dance on.

I enjoyed the performance itself. Not sure I totally "got" all the videos :-).

The dancing itself was great though I must admit a sneaking relief when the final "group" started as the music moves from rather cacophanous to beautifully melodic.

Would highly recommend this to everyone.

I've just finished reading all the posts on this topic and I wanted to add my thanks to Angela for starting it. A whole new world is opening up for me!

A question about Stuttgart's current season - isn't it unusual to have performances of Onegin scheduled in October/November 2012 and then the last one in July 2013?

The first news about the Terpsichore Gala at Bavarian State Ballet's ballet week in April: the company will dance Ashton's "Birthday Offering", guests include Ekaterina Krysanova and Dmitry Gudanov from the Bolshoi, Ekaterina Osmolkina and Maxim Zyuzin from St. Petersburg, Igone de Jongh, Anna Tsygankova, Jozef Varga and Alexander Zhembrovskyy from Het Nationale and Iana Salenko and Marian Walter from Berlin.

The casting for the Mikhailovsky Sleeping Beauty is also on the website now: both performances with Novikova - Sarafanov.

Still tickets left - Munich's not quite as mad as Stuttgart ;)

• Like 1

Ian, yes, she is ex-Stuttgart, but no ex-ballerina - she quit Stuttgart Ballett last year to become ballet director of the small company at Gelsenkirchen. She made a new Cinderella for them recently, and she still dances.

Jiri Bubenicek is a former Neumeier principal who now dances at Dresden Semper Opera Ballet (his twin brother Otto is still with Neumeier). Bubenicek started choreographing some years ago.

Here is a link to a film a friend of mine made with Bridget Breiner in 2011.  Bridget danced and choreographed, and it's designed by Jean-Marc Puissant, who designed Wheeldon's new ballet Aeternum.  I'd be interested to know what you think of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bavarian State Ballet announces three new pieces and two reconstructions for next season:

Three creations at the Opera House in April 2014 by Michael Simon ("Der gelbe Klang" – "The Yellow Sound", after a concept by Wassily Kandinsky), new pieces by Russell Maliphant and Aszure Barton. At the Reithalle, without a fixed date yet: reconstructions of "Das Triadische Ballett" ("Triadic Ballet") by Oskar Schlemmer, choreography Gerhard Bohner, and "Le Sacre du Printemps" by Mary Wigman. Further in the repertory: Neumeier’s "Midsummer Night Dream", the "Choreartium" evening, Cranko’s "Romeo", "La Bayadère", the Ballets Russes evening, Robbins/Kylian, Cunningham/Siegal and Terence Kohler’s "Heroes", which will premiere this April. Online only in German language

Dresden Semperoper Ballet announces for 2013/2014 "Legends – Homage to Richard Strauss" with a new "Josephslegende" by Stijn Celis and another Strauss ballet, yet to be confirmed. A "Nordic Lights" evening combines a creation by Pontus Lidberg, Johan Inger’s "Walking Mad" (Ravel’s Bolero) and Alexander Ekman’s "Cacti".

Casting for "Krabat", the new story ballet at Stuttgart by Demis Volpi after a youth/fantasy novel by Otfried Preussler, is fixed now, with two RBS alumni in the main parts: David Moore as Krabat, Elisa Badenes as Kantorka, Marijn Rademaker as the Master and Sue Jin Kang as Gevatter/Death.

Edited by Angela

Berlin State Ballet announces the following plans for next season:

- a new "Nutcracker" by Vasily Medvedev and Yuri Burlaka (according to the press release their version will "rely on the tradition of the original version from 1892 and unite it with the brillance of modern virtuosity", doesn’t sound like a reconstruction)

-  "The Nights", a ballet about "One Thousand and One Nights" by Angelin Preljocaj, in a cooperation with Ballet Preljocaj/Aix-en-Provence. Music by Natacha Atlas, costumes by fashion designer Azzedine Alaïa

- "Ratmansky | Welch" with "Namouna" by Alexei Ratmansky and "Clear" by Stanton Welch

- "Don Juan" by Giorgio Madia (at the Komische Oper)

many galas celebrating the tenth anniversary of the company, founded in 2004

Vladimir Malakhov will dance his farewell performances from Berlin on June 13th, 2014 ("Caravaggio" by Bigonzetti) and June 14th, 2014 ("Tchaikovsky" by Eifman).

Press Release (in German only)

• Like 1