Angela

News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

7 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I know how the Scots-born choreographer spelled his name, but I can assure you that the Clan MacMillan Society is none too rigorous regarding the spellings that it will countenance.  232 documented spellings are listed here, my own amongst them.

Ian, it's just that I think anybody who works at a ballet company should know how to spell the names of the former directors correctly, even if they worked there a long time ago.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Darlex said:

It seems that nobody took Remus Suchema's appointment very seriously then?

He is still ballet director until 2024, the newspaper articles about Volpi's appointment say that they are "getting to know each other". Already when Schläpfer announced that he is leaving, the Opera Director at Düsseldorf made it clear that Sucheana will not lead the company alone. It's all a bit confused at the moment, I guess.

Next season at Bavarian State Ballet Munich:  https://www.staatsoper.de/en/19-20/ballet.html

New: Roland Petit's "Coppélia"

A triple bill with Ratmansky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" and a creation by David Dawson (and "a surprise" which Igor Zelensky does not know yet)

"A jour" with contemporary choreographers like Edwaard Liang and Andrey Kaydanovskiy at the Prinzregententheater

Ray Barra's "Swan Lake" comes back (so no more "Illusions like Swan Lake" by Neumeier)

The repertoire continues as last season, but all the Cranko ballets are gone.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

...the “surprise”  - hopefully termination of Polunin’s guest contract! 

(...ouch!)

Somehow, Vanartus, I'm not sure that the season suggests that such is on (at least) these cards given that Polunin danced Petit's Coppelia for Zelenksy at the Stanislavsky.  (In fact he danced it for him with the Company here too in London at the Coliseum.)  I fear it might well be a case of more not less in the wayward one's regard in Munich.  His options I fear may be drawing in.  

I applaud the inclusion of Ratmansky's Pictures at an Exhibition.  It is one of those pieces that the more I see it the  more I like it ... and I very much enjoyed it the first time round.  :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3