News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vienna State Ballet has announced its 2013-14 season including three new programs:

• triple bill opening 15. Dezember 2013)  William Forsythe, Natalia Horecna and Harald Lander
  • Rudolf Nureyev's Swan Lake opening 16. Märch 2014
  • Nureyev Gala 2014 (28. June 2014).

They will also start livestreaming. Details to be released in the autumn.

For the full calendar: http://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/Content.Node/home/aktuelles/neuigkeiten/Spielzeit-20132014.de.php

Next season at Zurich Ballet, online here in Zurich's opera season brochure:

- Christian Spuck’s "Woyzeck", made for Norwegian National Ballet in 2011, Zurich premiere in October

- a triple bill with "Forellenquintett" by Martin Schläpfer, a new piece by Douglas Lee, "Wings of Wax" by Kylián in February

- a triple bill with creations by Wayne McGregor, Marco Goecke and Christian Spuck in April 2014

no changes in the dancer roster, as far as I can see

ed. for typo

Edited by Angela

Angela:  I'm aware of at least one change at Zurich Junior Ballett , and it looks to me as if there will be 4 dancers fewer next season (15 to 11).  Happily, the one in whom I have an interest was snapped up at a first audition and will be just a bit more reachable from over here from next season!

Ian, I didn't check the Junior Ballet company and I'm not sure if they really reduced the dancers, maybe they still have vacancies. I guess the dancers have two year contracts but I'm not sure, and of course there's always much change in these junior companies.

I also forgot the revival of Mats Ek's "Sleeping Beauty" which was brought to Zurich by Heinz Spoerli some years ago. Interesting that already in his second year Spuck got rid of all Spoerli choreographies... or Spoerli doesn't give him the rights. Spoerli is still pretty much in demand, the Ballet du Rhin and Karlsruhe Ballet recently took two of his older pieces in the repertory.

At Stuttgart Ballet, Demis Volpi was promoted to Resident Choreographer after the successful premiere of his story ballet "Krabat" yesterday. With Volpi and Marco Goecke, the company has now two house choreographers again, after Christian Spuck left for Zurich one year ago.

British demi-soloist David Moore, who danced the title role, was promoted to soloist.

@ tim b:

I found a review about the Nuremberg Gala: Rojo and Berlanga danced pdds from Raymonda and Manon, the other guests were Bridget Breiner from Gelsenkirchen with Marco Goecke's solo "Tué", Marina Jiménez / Aleix Mañè from the Spanish Compania Nacional, who did the balcony pdd from Goyo Montero's "Romeo", and Seh Yun Kim / Moises Martin from the Compania Nacional with "Sonatas" by José Carlos Martinez. Nuremberg ballet director Goyo Montero danced with his father, Goyo Montero Cortijo.

At Vienna State Ballet, Japanese dancer Masayu Kimoto has been promoted to soloist after his debut as James in La Sylphide.

At Stuttgart Ballet, principal dancers Alexander Zaitsev and Elizabeth Mason will leave the company after this season. Zaitsev will continue to dance freelance and work as a ballet master, Mason will return to the US as a principal with Tulsa Ballet in Oklahoma.

At Berlin State Ballet, Polina's brother Dmitry Semionov will leave the company after this season.

Next season at the Ballet on the Rhine in Düsseldorf/Duisburg: two evening-long creations by Martin Schläpfer to music by Mahler and Adriana Hölszky, Afternoon of a Faun/Robbins, Without Words/van Manen, Episodes/Balanchine, Scenario/Merce Cunningham, Große Fuge/van Manen and creations by Nils Christe and Antoine Jully. Full brochure here

Hamburg Ballet announces two new works by John Neumeier for next season. In December 2013, the choreographer will complete his "Christmas Oratorio" with music by J.S. Bach; three parts he made in 2007, now he will create the last three parts.

In June 2014, Neumeier will premiere his very own version of Pushkins "Evgenij Onegin", a ballet called "Tatiana", exposing the female character as the "real hero" of this story (as opposed to Cranko’s famous version, of course). The music will be composed by Lera Auerbach. As Hamburg Ballet had a revival of Cranko’s "Onegin" last season, this is a very ambitious enterprise, with Neumeier scratching on the surface of John Cranko’s glory, who had once hired him for Stuttgart Ballet and to whom he has ever since been compared as a storytelling choreographer.

Next season at the Ballet on the Rhine in Düsseldorf/Duisburg: two evening-long creations by Martin Schläpfer to music by Mahler and Adriana Hölszky, Afternoon of a Faun/Robbins, Without Words/van Manen, Episodes/Balanchine, Scenario/Merce Cunningham, Große Fuge/van Manen and creations by Nils Christe and Antoine Jully. Full brochure here

Attending a Ballett am Rhein performance at the opera house in Düsseldorf is on my list of things to do, and I am too impatient to wait until next season.  So, I made plans to see Afternoon of a Faun (Jerome Robbins), Without Words (Hans van Manen) and the premiere of Nacht umstellt (Martin Schläpfer) on 5 July.   I am looking forward the experience.

Hamburg Ballet the

In June 2014, Neumeier will premiere his very own version of Pushkins "Evgenij Onegin", a ballet called "Tatiana", exposing the female character as the "real hero" of this story (as opposed to Cranko’s famous version, of course). The music will be composed by Lera Auerbach. As Hamburg Ballet had a revival of Cranko’s "Onegin" last season, this is a very ambitious enterprise, with Neumeier scratching on the surface of John Cranko’s glory, who had once hired him for Stuttgart Ballet and to whom he has ever since been compared as a storytelling choreographer.

Not only they had a revival the past year, they are dancing Onegin also in the next! It will be interesting to see two different readings of the poem.

I think that the female character is the "real hero" also in Cranko ballet (of course if danced by a dramatic Ballerina, a species so rare that should be protected by WWF).

• Like 1

According to radio station WDR, Tanztheater Wuppertal will be directed from this summer on by Lutz Förster, a longtime dancer of the company, choreographer and professor at the Folkwang University at Essen. He takes over from Pina Bausch’s son Robert Sturm and former Wuppertal dancer Dominique Mercy, who have directed the company since Bausch’s sudden death in 2009. Förster is supposed to bring new choreographers to the company, for the very first time since 40 years.

The Bundesjugendballett (Federal Youth Ballet) at Hamburg announced its eight new members from next season on. Directed by John Neumeier and Kevin Haigen, this is the junior company of the Hamburg Ballet, the dancers stay for two seasons. Three of the former dancers will be taken in the main company.

It’s John Neumeier’s 70th birthday today, with congratulations in all national newspapers. Though in truth he is already 73, which was published three years ago when his Catholic parish in Hamburg accidentally congratulated him on his 70th birthday. Next year will be his 40th year with Hamburg Ballet, he received practically every German dance award, many other prizes and every honour that the town of Hamburg has to offer.

His latest acquisition is the Bundesjugendballett („Federal youth ballet“), a youth company like NDT 2, but with only eight dancers, starting over right now with performances all over Germany. There’s also a new youth company in Munich, the Bavarian State Ballet 2 with 16 young dancers.

A year on and now in his 40th year with Hamburg Ballett no way does John Neumeier even look 60! With so much energy and creativity it is obvious that his work his keeping him young and long may it continue that way! Those lucky dancers of Hamburg Ballett :-)

Hello Angela, and many thanks for starting this thread. It is already very interesting, and much appreciated. We don't hear enough about what is happening in the European dance scene, so for you to cover Germany, Austria, Swizterland etc. is fantastic. Please keep up the good work of keeping us informed!

A year on and just back to this forum after a couple of years away hope you can keep the news in Europe, especially Germany, updated! :-)

The Konzert Theater in Bern (previously the Stadt Theater) has announced its 2013-14 programmes.  Unsurprisingly, and presumably done to emphasise the change in Dance programming that the new Intendant wants to see, I see that the title Bern:Ballett will no longer be used after Cathy Marston's departure as Director this summer.  The resident company will then be known as 'Tanzcompagnie Konzert Theater Bern,' and it looks as if there will be a fair-sized churn of dancers before next season.

http://issuu.com/konzerttheaterbern/docs/ktb_gesamtspielplan/246

The text is, of course, in German - the Dance programme starts at page 38 and the new company details are on page 244.

• 4 weeks later...

Alina Cojocaru, Yuan Yuan Tan, Laetitia Pujol, Heather Odgen and Guillaume Côté, Ida Praetorius and Andreas Kaas, Alicia Amatrian and Jason Reilly will be the guests at the 39th Nijinsky Gala at Hamburg Ballet, with choreography exclusively by John Neumeier. Also on stage: ballet directors Ivan Liška and Manuel Legris in Neumeier ballets that were made for them. The programme should be online here soon. For his 40 year jubilee with Hamburg Ballet, the choreographer will show 23 ballets in this year's Ballet Days in June, with guest companies Bavarian State Ballet and Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight there is live streaming from Munich of the new piece "Helden" (Heroes) by Terence Kohler.

I'm so cross I'm out so will miss it and haven't seen it, nor will. I'm out in a couple of weeks but for "Exits and Entrances" (Cuningham)

http://www.bayerische.staatsoper.de//tv

What a shame you'll miss it!  We've all got to work on this being in two places at one time thing! They're doing it again next Feb and March though. And any consolation, my group who saw it in April weren't that enamoured (though of course in your case it's not necessarily the choreography you're interested in!)

Daniel Camargo was promoted to Principal Dancer after yesterday’s performance at Stuttgart Ballet. The Brazilian is only 22 years old, a very fast and versatile dancer who excelled as Basilio in DQ at the beginning of the season and who is just as brillant in modern works like Glen Tetley’s Sacre. A great and intense actor, a very handsome young man with the most winning smile and indeed a very special dancer. He danced the title role in "Krabat" yesterday, a kind of German "Raven Boy" after a youth book by Otfried Preußler – check out the feather costumes here

Always the last company to announce their plans for the next season, Stuttgart Ballet’s next season is finally online here.

They announce new pieces by Resident Choreographers Marco Goecke and Demis Volpi, by Edward Clug and company members Katarzyna Kozielska and Louis Stiens, combined in three mixed bills with "workwithinwork" by Forsythe, "Frank Bridge Variations" by Hans van Manen and – hallelujah! – Béjart’s "Songs of a Wayfarer", not seen at Stuttgart for over 20 years.

In the repertory: Cranko’s "Romeo" and "Taming of the Shrew", Neumeier’s "Othello" (all three for Shakespeare’s 450th birthday), "Giselle", Demis Volpi’s very successful "Krabat" and a "Made in Germany" evening in the playhouse with choreography made at Stuttgart.

Elisa Badenes will be promoted to Principal Dancer, Angelina Zuccarini, David Moore (one of four British dancers at Stuttgart) and Roman Novitzky will be promoted to soloists.

• Like 1