Angela

News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Madoka Sugai, winner of the Prix de Lausanne 2012, will join the Hamburg Bundesjugendballett as a guest for one season. The 18 year old Japanese ballerina comes to John Neumeier’s youth company with a scholarship.

Bavarian State Ballet has announced the following guests for the "Bayadère" performances in autumn:

21. and 22. September: Vadim Muntagirov as Solor, with Ekaterina Petina as Nikiya

28. September and 4. October: Yun Wang (winner of the Helsinki International Ballet Competition 2012) as Nikiya, with Lukas Slavicky as Solor

5. and 13. October: Svetlana Zakharova as Nikiya, with Marlon Dino as Solor

• Like 1

News from Stuttgart Ballet: The company dedicates the whole season to Richard Cragun, a digital book of condolence can be found on their website.

Principal dancer Friedemann Vogel received the "Positano Premia la Danza – Leonide Massine" as best international dancer on Saturday in Positano, Italy. The other awards went to Ulyana Lopatkina (best international dancer), Rihoko Sato (Japan) and Julien Favreau (Bejart Ballet Lausanne) as best contemporary dancers, Yolanda Correa (Norwegian National Ballet) and Sergio Bernal (Spanish National Ballet) as best emerging international dancers, Alessio Rezza (Teatro dell'Opera di Roma) as best emerging Italian dancer. Alicia Alonso was honoured with a lifetime award. Members of the jury were Alfio Agostini (ballet2000), Leonetta Bentivoglio (La Repubblica), Valeria Crippa (Corriere della Sera), Clement Crisp (Financial Times), Anna Kisselgoff (New York Times), Jean-Pierre Pastori (La Tribune de Genève), Roger Salas (El Pais) and René Sirvin (Le Figaro).

• Like 1

Marco Goecke, Stuttgart’s remaining Resident Choreographer after Christian Spuck has left for Zurich, will also become Associate Choreographer with NDT from 2013/2014 on. His contract with Scapino Ballet in Rotterdam has therefore terminated, he was their House Choreographer since 2005, his successor there will be Taiwanese choreographer Fang-Yu Shen.

Prominent guests at Berlin State Ballet: Svetlana Zakharova will dance Nikiya on 1. November with Dmitry Semionov (Polina’s brother), and Odette/Odile in February 2013 with Mikhail Kaniskin.

Ekaterina Krysanova will dance in Malakhov's "La Péri" on Nov. 17 and 25, her partner is Dinu Tamazlacaru.

Diana Vishneva will be guesting as Brunhilde in April 2013 in Maurice Béjart's "Ring around the ring", dates: 14. and 19. April

(link in German only).

At Stuttgart, Elisa Badenes will dance the premier of the Don Q. revival in September (opening of the season) with Daniel Camargo, great chance for these young dancers.

^^ Oh how very very annoying I had a ticket for 5th Nov which up until now was when Svetlana Zakharova was originally dancing now she's changed the dates to those I wanted originally but my flight is booked now. Bother!! Nevermind the silver lining is I get to see Mikhail Kaniskin twice in both Onegin and La Bayadere so I can live with that :)

New Director of Dance at Bern Theatre and successor to Cathy Marston from 2013/14 on will be Estefania Miranda from Chile. The choreographer and dancer has been working with the new Bern Intendant Stephan Märki before, he brings her along from Weimar Theatre, where she directed a small dance festival. She will keep at least half of the dancers, as is reported in a Bern newspaper, and wants to do more contemporary work.

After the announcement earlier in the year of Cathy's departure, it is no surprise that Herr Märki has set things up for the future that he envisages for dance in Bern from next summer, and I wish Ms Miranda all the very best for her incumbency. I note that the company has already returned to its previous size after a couple of years during which it has been augmented by apprentices. If it is to reduce to around 6 dancers next year - possibly as a consequence of some financial constraint deriving from the organisational changes at the Theatre? - Bern audiences may well have to become accustomed to a thinner dance diet than that on offer since 2007. I believe there will have been some 30 new commissions in Cathy's time, and her own creative arc that began with a very different Firebird will be completed by Hexenhatz, coming to the ROH's Linbury theatre in May next year.

Ian, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but Estefania Miranda will keep half of the dancers that Cathy Marston had hired and hire of course some new dancers. I think the size of the company will remain the same, around twelve. It's just moving towards a more contemporary style, I suppose.

I think that the subject matter of Hexenhatz is the last woman executed for witchcraft in Europe, Anna Goeldi, who was officially pardoned or cleared of murder in 2007. I look forward to seeing the company when it comes to the Linbury next year.

Angela: Thanks for the clarification on dancer numbers ..... I could probably win a bet on identifying those who'll leave!

Aileen: I believe you're correct about Hexenhatz. Pretty much matching the era in which the story is set, it's to be performed in Bern to a baroque score with Camerata Bern - the second such local collaboration on a new work by Cathy, I think - and I do hope that they will be coming to London too.

Does anyone know which ballets the company is bringing to London? Hexenhatz has intriguing possibilities.

Julie, do you know whether Vadim Muntagirov danced in La Bayadere last night, as scheduled? If so, was he favourably received?

I've just seen some photos of Munich's La Bayadere. Very colourful Really want to get out to see it. Day Kol photography on facebook has alot of pics. Not sure if there are any of Vadim though.

I found a photograph of Vadim and his partner Ekaterina Petina on the company's website. It certainly looks like a very colourful production.

After a ravishing debut in Don Quijote, 21 year old Brazilian dancer Daniel Camargo was promoted to soloist at Stuttgart Ballet on Sunday. He danced with Elisa Badenes, ex-RBS, a great young couple.

Edited by Angela
  • Like 1

Stuttgart Ballet announces a Gala for the 50th anniversary of John Cranko’s "Romeo and Juliet" on Dec. 2 with many former stars of the company, among them four dancers of the original cast in 1962: Marcia Haydée (former Juliet) as Juliet’s nurse, Ray Barra (former Romeo) as Duke of Verona, Egon Madsen (former Paris) as Lorenzo and Georgette Tsinguirides, former Gypsy and with 84 years still a Gypsy. Other famous names from the past include Birgit Keil as Lady Capulet, Melinda Witham as Lady Montague, Vladimir Klos as Lord Capulet, Robert Conn as Lord Montague, Yseult Lendvai and Sonia Santiago as Gypsies and Julia Krämer as Rosalind. The main parts will be danced by Alicia Amatriain and Friedemann Vogel, with Marijn Rademaker, Filip Barankiewicz, Alexander Jones and Jason Reilly in further roles.

In the morning of the same day there will be a ballet talk with Marcia Haydée, Birgit Keil, Georgette Tsinguirides, Ray Barra, Vladimir Klos, Jürgen Rose and Reid Anderson about Cranko’s "Romeo and Juliet" which premiered in 1958 at Venice and in a revised version at Stuttgart on December 2nd, 1962.

• Like 1

The town of Dresden will continue to subsidize The Forsythe Company until 2016. Due to an allegedly too low audience attendance at the festival house of Dresden-Hellerau, the town council had threatened to cut the funding for the company which is subsidized by the states of Hessia and Saxony and by the towns of Dresden and Frankfurt.

Polina Semionova will perform with Bavarian State Ballet in December in John Neumeier‘s Nutcracker. She’ll dance the role of Louise, Marie’s sister, who is a ballerina. Dates: 7./9./13. December

• Like 1

Just been told by my son that they are doing some live streaming from Bavarian State Ballet. He says it is being done on 13th Dec, which is "Nutcracker"

Also many apologies to aileen who asked me a question re Vadim earlier. I'm so sorry I didn't see this question.

He did indeed get a very appreciative reception.

Julie

Thanks for that, Julie. Ever since I watched the Agony and Ecstasy programme I've taken an interest in Vadim's career. Apparently, he and Daria are currently in Singapore for a gaa which is taking place tomorrow and Wednesday.

Hello Angela - or indeed anybody who might have seen Mario Schroder's ballet Chaplin, created for the company in Leipzig.

I am trying to identify what music was used - any insights will be helpful. Thank you.