News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Extensive media coverage through previews and reviews of Die Sieben Todsuenden/ Seven Heavenly Sins which premiered in Stuttgart on Saturday as the first co-production of Stuttgart Ballet, Stuttgart Opera and Stuttgart Theatre for more than 20 years. Not that a co-production in itself would trigger this extent of media coverage through newspapers up and down the country plus television, I’d rather think this comes as Peaches features prominently in the production. I haven’t seen the production nor am I going to; based on what I’ve read, the production is split largely into two parts.

Part 1 – based on Brecht’s work and transferred into a boxring, Anna comes in four different characters (a female actor – Josephine Koehler, a male dancer – Louis Stiens, who has also provided the choreography for the production, an older version of Anna – Melinda Witham, and Peaches). Anna’s family is represented through four referees.

Part 2 – the boxring has disappeared, and Peaches performs a number of songs in relation to the seven sins (I guess the word “heavenly” in the work’s title is based on a comment that she made that she doesn’t consider these seven aspects to be sins), complete with matching outfits.

Opinions in previews and reviews range from rather dismissive to jubilant, others highlight the fact that the piece will have attracted new audiences or that the audience on Saturday reacted with prolonged ovations.

Based on the variety of opinions, I am not providing any links but a search for “Peaches Stuttgart” will provide plenty of them (a word of caution – the work comes with an age guideline of 16+ years, and some of the pictures or excerpts in some of the previews and reviews confirm why this is the case).

• Like 2

There's a Part 3, Duck, where 64 year old Melinda Witham, character soloist with Stuttgart Ballet, is seen as the old Anna who, with some minimalistic Ausdruckstanz moves, looks back on a life of fighting for her rights, tired but proud. It's only some minutes long, set to "The unanswered question" by Charles Ives. There is lots of dancing throughout the evening, done by choreographer Louis Stiens and actress Josephine Köhler - ballet virtuosity, modern moves and even Voguing for the Peaches songs. I had no interest in Electroclash or Peaches before, but I thought it was a great evening, acting/singing/dancing in a meaningful, intelligent fusion.  Well, lots of dirty words, but hey, great beats... :-) The whole performance comes with surtitles in English and German.

• Like 2

Guests for the Ballet week at Bavarian State Ballet:

Ashley Bouder from NYCB in Rubies/Jewels on 11. April

Natalia Osipova as Tatyana in Cranko’s Onegin on 13. April

Ivan Vasiliev as Petrucchio in Cranko’s Taming of the Shrew on 14. April

Anna Laudere and Edvin Revazov for Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias (actually they will dance all performances, so no Munich couple will have danced in the main parts)

Booking starts on Monday 10.00 CET

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Angela said:

Anna Laudere and Edvin Revazov for Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias (actually they will dance all performances, so no Munich couple will have danced in the main parts)

I saw this pairing the other week at Munich: do we know whether this was because there was no possibility to prepare a Munich pairing or at the insistence of Neumeier?

1 hour ago, Angela said:

Guests for the Ballet week at Bavarian State Ballet:

Ashley Bouder from NYCB in Rubies/Jewels on 11. April

Natalia Osipova as Tatyana in Cranko’s Onegin on 13. April

Ivan Vasiliev as Petrucchio in Cranko’s Taming of the Shrew on 14. April

Booking starts on Monday 10.00 CET

Beg borrow or steal tickets for Osipova - her interpretation is thrilling and not  a little disturbing too. A very brave take on the role.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I saw this pairing the other week at Munich: do we know whether this was because there was no possibility to prepare a Munich pairing or at the insistence of Neumeier?

Sadly, one half of the Munich couple was injured before the first performance. And Shklyarov was supposed to do Armand, but he withdraw already weeks before. Yet it's strange not to have a second or third couple, if you intend to put the ballet on stage, I think.

Casting for "La Sylphide" by Bournonville/Frank Andersen at Berlin State Ballet:

Maria Kochetkova and Daniil Simkin on Mar 1, 12, 22 + Apr 22

Polina Semionova and Alejandro Virelles on Mar 3, Apr 4 + May 26

Luciana Voltolini and Marian Walter on Apr 26 + May 31

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Munich's Bavarian StaatsBallet are live streaming the Jewels performance on 11 April which stars guest Ashley Bouder from NYCB in Rubies.

Realise that many hereabouts will not have seen Ashely Bouder - even though she is in the senior stretch of her career.  Here she can be seen this week dancing in Peter Martins' production of Sleeping Beauty.  I must confess I'm not usually a fan of Martins' full length offerings - but this one is an exception. It is one of my favourites of this masterwork - and the fact that it has only one interval ensures that the story is told so clearly and MOST IMPORTANTLY the original tempi are restored - and that makes such elements as Aurora's birthday and wedding truly celebratory.  Also love the variation for the Ivans.  I well remember on the opening night of this production - some thirty years ago - it was the first real indication of what would come from a then very young Daniel Ulbrecht - and as for the late Albert Evans' cat ... Well, it still burns bright in my mind's eye ... as does Merrill Ashley incendiary Carabosse - up there with Mason's.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

On 09/02/2019 at 09:35, Angela said:

Casting for "La Sylphide" by Bournonville/Frank Andersen at Berlin State Ballet:

Maria Kochetkova and Daniil Simkin on Mar 1, 12, 22 + Apr 22

Polina Semionova and Alejandro Virelles on Mar 3, Apr 4 + May 26

Luciana Voltolini and Marian Walter on Apr 26 + May 31

I will be at the rehearsal today and have a ticket for March1st. Kotchetkova and Simkin...can't wait.

• Like 1

Two principal dancers and a soloist will leave Hamburg Ballet after this season: the names of Carolina Agüero, Karen Azatyan and Dario Franconi have disappeard from next year's roster. Alina Cojocaru is still listed as principal guest artist, but no other new names.

26 minutes ago, Angela said:

Two principal dancers and a soloist will leave Hamburg Ballet after this season: the names of Carolina Agüero, Karen Azatyan and Dario Franconi have disappeard from next year's roster. Alina Cojocaru is still listed as principal guest artist, but no other new names.

Thanks so - AS EVER - for this news, Angela.  It will be interesting to see who they get to dance the last movement of the BSQ - as Azatyan danced all that I saw.  SUCH a magnificent work ... and so rewarding to see a house that size brimming to the rafters with dedicated ballet goers for such a programme.  

Dresden Semperoper Ballet has published their next season.

Two premieres: Pina Bausch's production of the Gluck dance opera "Iphigenie auf Tauris" and a triple bill with Balanchine: Stravinsky Violin Concerto, Hans van Manen: Kleines Requiem, and the world premiere of David Dawson's "For last songs" by Richard Strauss (which is a little miracle as the heirs of Richard Strauss normally forbid to use any of his music that was not written for dance).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Angela said:

...and the world premiere of David Dawson's "For last songs" by Richard Strauss (which is a little miracle as the heirs of Richard Strauss normally forbid to use any of his music that was not written for dance).

Doesn’t Strauss fall out of copyright next year? Or am I muddled? (Copyright really confuses me!)

YES, you're right, in September 2019 - I forgot, thank you! Copyright lasts 70 years in Germany. Wow, they are fast at Dresden 👏. I guess we will see lots of Zarathustras and Four last Songs in the next years...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angela said:

YES, you're right, in September 2019 - I forgot, thank you! Copyright lasts 70 years in Germany. Wow, they are fast at Dresden 👏. I guess we will see lots of Zarathustras and Four last Songs in the next years...

I'm now thinking about which Strauss operas could be turned into ballets. I can imagine both Rosenkavalier & Arabella as ballets, Adiane not so much (they are my 3 favourites). I'm amusing myself by fantasy casting a Rosenkavalier ballet (with RB dancers, as I've not seen any of the German ballet companies).

12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm now thinking about which Strauss operas could be turned into ballets. I can imagine both Rosenkavalier & Arabella as ballets, Adiane not so much (they are my 3 favourites). I'm amusing myself by fantasy casting a Rosenkavalier ballet (with RB dancers, as I've not seen any of the German ballet companies).

Graeme Murphy did a ballet for Bavarian State Ballet in 2005 based on Der Rosenkavalier, but not using music by Strauss. It was called  The Silver Rose and was subsequently performed by The Australian Ballet in 2010.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toursenlair said:

Graeme Murphy did a ballet for Bavarian State Ballet in 2005 based on Der Rosenkavalier, but not using music by Strauss. It was called  The Silver Rose and was subsequently performed by The Australian Ballet in 2010.

That's interesting to know, though I'm not sure I'd want to see any version of Rosenkavalier without Strauss's glorious music. I've just Googled it & see it had a male dancer as Octavian, doubtless necessary in order to have pdds. I can't say that the production looks to be very 18th century so presumably, like so many productions of the opera, it got an update. (I prefer the full 18th century white wigs, breeches & hoop skirts option myself - okay maybe not the hoop skirts for a ballet!)

Edited by Dawnstar

Dawnstar:  I rather think you're right on the hooped skirts.  I think it was in the first Acosta and Friends bill that Zenaida Yanowsky danced a solo to one of the Monteverdi 1610 Vespers motets, wearing just the hooped underpinning over a shift of some kind.  All very odd, with the hoops having a life of their own, and not my favourite Yanowsky memory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

I wonder now if some European company will be able to perform Balanchine's Vienna Waltzes????   Perhaps Hamburg??? 

Funny, Bruce, I was wondering exactly the same thing! Vienna Waltzes is one of my favourite later Balanchine works and I would dearly like to see it in the Royal's rep. Copyright in the UK is that it expires 70 years after the end of the calendar year in which the last of the creators of the work dies. Approval from the Balanchine Trust can never be taken for granted but the current strength of the Royal Ballet would, I think, remove any obstacles. Here's hoping! 

6 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

Funny, Bruce, I was wondering exactly the same thing! Vienna Waltzes is one of my favourite later Balanchine works and I would dearly like to see it in the Royal's rep. Copyright in the UK is that it expires 70 years after the end of the calendar year in which the last of the creators of the work dies. Approval from the Balanchine Trust can never be taken for granted but the current strength of the Royal Ballet would, I think, remove any obstacles. Here's hoping! 

I share your admiration for this work, Douglas.  Perhaps you need to whisper such into KO'H's ear ... as I don't think - given his stated priorities as outlined in his last BA interview .... that it would happen at the RB of its own volition.  Something tells me that it is much more likely elsewhere in Europe.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I don't think - given his stated priorities as outlined in his last BA interview .... that it would happen at the RB of its own volition.  Something tells me that it is much more likely elsewhere in Europe.  

Sadly, Bruce, I think you're right. Sometimes (i.e. quite a lot of the time) I can't understand some of Kevin O'Hare's preferences and strategy. My comment above was more of a personal preference/fantasy wish than a reasonable expectation. Still, there's always Frankenstein and perhaps Raven Girl still to look forward to...

As far as Europe is concerned, Paris has the dancers at the moment...?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I wonder now if some European company will be able to perform Balanchine's Vienna Waltzes????   Perhaps Hamburg??? 

Exactly what I was thinking as I was bitterly disappointed when NYCB were going to perform it in Paris but then it was pulled because of the music. I saw Vienna Waltzes once in new York and absolutely loved it. And yes I agree it would be a perfect fit for Hamburg given their recent performances of the Liebeslieder Waltzes and Brahms Schoenberg Quartet. Here's hoping🤞🤞

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2