• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Angela said:

Here comes Bavarian Goodnews #2 😍

https://twitter.com/staatsballett/status/1051790074109710336

T'would be great if he returned for Festival Week ... then he'd do one one night and the other the next.  I'm there :)  That would leave Vasiliev in Cranko's Shrew the next ... and, who knows, maybe even Bouder (assume Rubies) in Jewels for the opening evening.  :) 

Edited by Bruce Wall

On 14/10/2018 at 07:58, Lizbie1 said:

Angela, sorry to trouble you for yet more advice, but in your view is it better to submit a written order for tickets or wait for online booking to open?

(I've decided to take a chance on the production as I'll be in town anyway!)

20 hours ago, Angela said:

Lizbie, I only book online or by phone at Munich, so I don't know if writing is faster (I think they do it by lottery?). However ballet doesn't sell as fast as an Anna Netrebko or Jonas Kaufmann opera at Munich, even it it's Polunin - so if you are able to book immediately at 10 o'clock on the opening day of online booking, that should be no problem, I think. Or try the phone. Try to catch seats (or standing room) in the middle of the balconies - the sight from the sides is not so great. No problem in the stalls. If you take tickets on the balcony sides, only first row. The Nationaltheater is beautiful, but huge, and I could'nt find the perfect place for ballet there until now... ☹️

My experience of the stalls is that it's preferable to not be in the first 4 rows as they are sunk below the stage a bit. Row 7 / 8 and back are better. Also definitely don't take a seat at the end of a row as some of these are behind big pillars that block the view.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2018 at 15:19, toursenlair said:

My experience of the stalls is that it's preferable to not be in the first 4 rows as they are sunk below the stage a bit. Row 7 / 8 and back are better. Also definitely don't take a seat at the end of a row as some of these are behind big pillars that block the view.

Yes, I like the back of the stalls much more, but that might be too far away for some people. Katherine, where did you find pillars?? I agree, the end of a row is not great for the bad sight lines, especially in the front rows, but I can't remember pillars. I'll have to check next time 😯

On 15/10/2018 at 14:21, Amelia said:

Angela wrote: "@SergeiPolunin_ is confirmed for RAYMONDA on Oct 6 and 10, 2018, at the Bayerisches Staatsballett, #Munich."

Will we see here any reviews of that performance? Or may be some links?

Amelia, I couldn't find any reviews in German - no newspapers, no blogs. I'm very sorry. The Munich newspapers write reviews about premieres or revivals, but rarely about single performances, as famous (or infamous) the star may be. There's a video on Staatsballett's facebook page and some photos

3 hours ago, Angela said:

Yes, I like the back of the stalls much more, but that might be too far away for some people. Katherine, where did you find pillars?? I agree, the end of a row is not great for the bad sight lines, especially in the front rows, but I can't remember pillars. I'll have to check next time 😯

I couldn't tell you which rows exactly, but some of them in mid Orchestra/Stalls/Parkett definitely have the view obstructed. You;ve probably just never been unfortunate enough to sit there.

Row 7/8 is fine: not too far away, and with sufficient rake to see all of the stage. Closer rows may be fine for people taller than me (5 foot 4).

Casting for the Ratmansky Bayadère at Staatsballett Berlin:

Polina Semionova - Alejandro Virelles - Yolanda Correa (premiere, November 2018, 18. January 2019)

Anna Ol (guest from Dutch National) - Daniil Simkin - Evelina Godunova (10., 26., 28. December 2018, 9. February 2019).

Ksenia Ovsyanick - Marian Walter - Aurora Dickie (15. December 2018, 2. February 2019)

• Like 2

On 27/03/2018 at 17:22, toursenlair said:

Good luck getting tix for the Nijinsky Gala. Did you find these instructions:

For the "Nijinsky Gala" 2019 : Inquiries will be accepted between September 24 and September 28, 2018, exclusively by post (only postage-stamped letters) to the following address : Hamburg State Opera, ticket service / gala order, PO Box 302448, 20308 Hamburg. Telephone or personal delivery of orders, bookings on the Internet or purchase at the box office are not possible. The inquiries received during this period will be processed in the order as delivered to us by the post office. Please give legible (illegible inquiries can not be considered) name, address, if necessary customer number, number and desired price category of the ticket/ s (maximum 2 tickets per customer and household) and choose between the payment by direct debit or credit card. Enter your bank details or credit card details including the expiry date and security code. Inquiries for the Nijinsky Gala, which had to be turned down last year, will be given priority when requested again when they reach us during the mentioned period. As of October 29, 2018, only those who receive a positive commitment will be notified.

Just want to thank Angela for all of her help ... and to let her know that both myself and DonQFan have now got tickets to next year's Nijinsky Gala.  I wondered if any of our BcoF Brethren will be in attendance.  It would be nice to meet.  

That help you mention was by Katherine  👏👏 , but congratulations on the tickets!! Nijinsky Galas are veeery very long, so prepare for illustrious guests and an extensive overview of ballet history according to John Neumeier 😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2018 at 19:38, Angela said:

On 13 July, the advisory board of Tanztheater Wuppertal decided to dismiss Adolphe Binder; company manager Dirk Hesse resigned and will quit in December 2018. A committee of experts, among them Alastair Spalding from Sadler’s Wells, will have to find replacements for both of them until the end of the year, working closely with the dancers.  

Newspaper comments about these decisions suggest that it was a huge mistake to have the Artistic Director report to the Administrative Director and it would be better to start over with another form of organisation. The damage to the Tanztheater seems huge, but the company will continue with tours and performances at home in September.

Two new directors were appointed for Tanztheater Wuppertal today: Bettina Wagner-Bergelt as Artistic Director and Roger Christmann as Company Manager. Wagner-Bergelt worked at Bavarian State Ballet for almost 30 years, as dramaturge, producer, head of education and Associate Director to Ivan Liška; until Igor Zelensky kicked her out in 2017 in a not very nice manner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Anyone know if there is a forum for selling tickets for Hamburg Ballet for the Nijinsky Gala?  I want to possibly sell mine.

German ballet lovers are not so keen on forums, I'm sorry to say. You could put them up on Ebay/Germany, but as Katherine said, I'd try the box office first, they have a waiting list. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had notice from Munich that Shklyarov won't be appearing in Kameliendame on 26th January for "production-related reasons".

Jonah Cook is "currently rehearsing" the role, though they've stopped short of confirming him - I'd be very interested in seeing him.

Great, I bought my ticket for Shklyarov :-( 

Jonah Cook may be a fine choice, but I fear we will not know the cast until three days before the performance, given their audience-unfriendly policy of announcing the cast.

On 07/12/2018 at 10:19, Angela said:

German ballet lovers are not so keen on forums, I'm sorry to say. You could put them up on Ebay/Germany, but as Katherine said, I'd try the box office first, they have a waiting list. 

I am pleased to report that on my recent trip I tried out my allotted seats - I was worried I would have my view blocked by a rail but thankfully the view is really very good so it is with great relief I will keep my tickets! Just need to find a reasonably priced hotel now!

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Juliet said:

I love it when people get excited about going to Munich...... As my daughter is in the corps there. Hope you enjoy it 

I'm seeing Kameliendame on 26th - drop me a line if she's in it and I'll look out for her!