News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Next season at Semperoper Ballet, Dresden:

https://www.semperoper.de/en/whats-on/ballet/spielzeit/2018.html

Premieres: Johan Inger's Carmen, a triple bill with "Corpse de ballet", a new creation by Hofesh Shechter, "Heatscape" by Justin Peck and "Gods and Dogs" by Jiří Kylián, another mixed bill with "The Four Temperaments"/Balanchine, "Errand into the Maze"/Martha Graham, "Black Milk"/Ohad Naharin and a new creation by Joseph Hernandez.

Repertory: Swan Lake, Bayadère, Nutcracker, all by Aaron Watkin. A Midsummer Night's Dream by Ashton and The Seasons by David Dawson, COW by Alexander Ekman.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Thankyou 

it's just that I've been sorting out my ballet shelves etc and of course it has taken ALL afternoon and some ( just finished ......and then straight on to the Forum lol) because I couldn't resist re reading through certain programmes and cast lists and among these were some RBS performances and I'd underlined certain young dancers as being very good ....in my view of course.

Another dancer who went to this Company was Gina Scott....who I obviously thought was outstanding in some piece quite a few years ago now but she may have left now. 

Right just been into the website and had a look.

So Gina Scott is now a second soloist and Guilia is in the corps still but only been there for two years.

in the piece I saw Guilia in she was partnered with a young man who has a Scandinavian looking name who is now in the Royal Ballet Company.

Cannot believe the Company didn't snap her up but maybe she didn't want to join ( if she was offered a place) for some reason at that point....though there was a lot of very good talent that year. 

Some of the other girls I underlined that year went to Birmingham Royal Ballet and are moving up from the corps.

13 hours ago, alison said:

That's a new one on me :)

Sorry, I was in a hurry (always trying to bring you the latest news from over here straighaway ;)) - "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is the name of the whole evening, which by the way premieres in two weeks at Dresden, consisting of Ashton's "The Dream" and David Dawson's "The Seasons". Mixed bills need names in Germany, it seems, an "Ashton/Dawson" title would not sell at Dresden. On the other hand, Ballet on the Rhine just uses numbers like b.34 or b.32 for their mixed bills.

• Like 2

Next season at State Ballet Berlin

Johannes Öhman and Sasha Waltz presented the new programme for Berlin State Ballet today. Öhman will direct the company from August 2018 on, Waltz will be his co-director from 2019 on.

Premieres in 2018/19:

La Bayadère by Alexej Ratmansky, "in the spirit of Petipa"

La Sylphide / Napoli 3rd act by Frank Andersen

Mixed Bills:

- "Your Passion is Pure Joy to Me" by Stijn Celis/ "Half Life" by Sharon Eyal, Gai Behar  

- New Creation by Anouk Van Dijk /"Half Life" by Sharon Eyal, Gai Behar  

- Balanchine, Theme and Variations/Forsythe, Second Detail/New Creation by Richard Siegal  

back in repertory: Nutcracker by Burlaka/Medvedev

Romeo and Onegin by Cranko

Swan Lake by Patrice Bart

New Principals: Yolanda Correa from Norwegian National Ballet, Daniil Simkin from ABT and Alejandro Virelles Gonzalez from Bavarian State Ballet

Link: http://www.staatsballett-berlin.de/en/presse/mitteilungen/26-02-2018/94

• Like 3

Members of the Mariinsky Ballet  gave 2 performances of a new(ish) version of Petrushka, choreographed by Vladimir Varnava, in Munich at the weekend. The cast was led by Vladimir Shklyarov in the title role. A recording of the performance  is now available for viewing on Medici.TV. The orchestra is the Munich Philharmonic, conducted by Gergiev. The performance was in the round, and I was fortunate enough to see it on the Saturday night. It is certainly interesting, and further evidence if nothing else of Shklyarov's dramatic gifts and his range.

• Like 7

On 29/2/2012 at 09:45, Angela said:

Yes, William Moore and Alexander Jones, both graduated the same year als Xander Parish and Liam Scarlett from RBS, if I remember right. Great dancers - tall, good actors, musical, fine technique, handsome guys. I could never understand why Mrs. Mason did not do everything to get them into the Royal Ballet - good for Stuttgart :)

William Moore, one ot the best dancer-actors I've seen in a very long time, is leaving with Stuttgart resident choreographer Christian Spuck for Zurich Ballet at the end of the season, where Spuck will follow Heinz Spoerli as director. Big mistake for Moore, if you ask me, because he got every role he could wish for at Stuttgart, he was in most creationes by choreographers working there and hugely popular with the audience.

Also dancing at Stuttgart: Elisa Badenes from Spain, Prix de Lausanne and YAGP winner, who trained at the RBS and danced her first Odette/Odile in December - an incredible performance, better than all the senior ballerinas of the company. Calm and serene, not a little bit nervous, wonderful arms, and a very dangerous, sensual black swan. Like she was born to dance that role - I could not believe it, she was 19 years old!

Strange the RB did not keep her. By what you are seing I wish I could see her dance

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Angela said:

Polunin will dance Petruchio in Taming of the Shrew with Osipova on 16 April at Munich:

https://twitter.com/staatsballett/status/972765005845352448

Thanks so for this, Angela.  I am running a programme in Munich for work  - as it happens - on that day and was just going to fly in and out to do it ... but now will happily hang around and go to the performance and take a very early morning flight back :) .... I wish I could say for the 18th Oneign with  Shklyarov... and the Cranko R&J in between but sadly work does not permit such luxury.  

• Like 3

Ballet next season at Baden-Baden Festspielhaus:

Hamburg Ballet:

Bernstein Dances - 6./7. October

Anna Karenina – 12./13./14. October

Mariinsky Ballet:

Prokofiev Evening with Prodigal Son/Balanchine, Violin Concerto No 2/Anton Pimonov and Russian Ouverture/Maxim Petrov, Musical Direction by Gergiev – 21. December

Swan Lake – 22./23./25. December

The Four Seasons/Ilya Zhivoi: 26. December

Ballet Gala with Le Divertissement du roi/Maxim Petrov and Le Carnaval/Mikhail Fokine et. al. – 27. December

Alonzo King Lines Ballet 2./ 3. March 2019

Dutch National Ballet with Kleines Requiem/Hans van Manen, Ignite/Juanjo Arqués, Chroma/Wayne McGregor – 22./23. June 2019

www.festspielhaus.de

• Like 2

A new director for the ballet company at Karlsruhe State Theater: the American dancer and choreographer Bridget Breiner will follow Birgit Keil from 2019/20 on. She was a dancer at Stuttgart Ballet and Dresden Semperoper Ballet and has directed the small ballet company at Gelsenkirchen since 2012, very successfully. Birgit Keil, former principal in Cranko’s Stuttgart and the most renowned German ballerina, is 73 years old now. She will retire after 16 years at Karlsruhe, but she will stay as director of the Tanzakademie Mannheim. The company at Karlsruhe has 30 dancers, plus students from the Tanzakademie. Under Keil’s direction they did MacMillan’s Romeo, Peter Wright’s Giselle, Wheeldon’s Swan Lake and many other classics. Breiner will continue with classical/neoclassical ballet.

• Like 2

I should add that Karlsruhe State Theater had also some other jobs to fill, and they hired only women: for the opera director, the playhouse director, the director of the community theatre branch, and the head of the artistic management office. The General Director is still a man, but wow…;)

• Like 4

After it was not awarded last year, the next German Dance Award will be given to Nele Hertling at a gala in Essen on 22. September. Hertling is a dramaturg and networker who influenced the development of contemporary dance in Germany since the 70s, f.e. by inviting choreographers like Merce Cunningham or Trisha Brown, by founding the Berlin Festival "Tanz im August" or by strengthening the position of independently produced dance.  

The ballet of the State Theatre at Nuremberg under the direction of Goyo Montero will be honoured for extraordinary development in dance. The Berlin choreographer Meg Stuart and her company Damaged Goods will be honoured as extraordinary artists.

The award will be presented for the first time by Dachverband Tanz Deutschland, an official nationwide platform for artistic dance in Germany, and it will be endowed with 20.000 Euro for the first time. The founders who awarded the prize since 1983 ended up in strong controversies, now they united with the Dachverband and created a new concept for the award. As the Dachverband leans stronger to the contemporary scene, more laureates from modern and contemporary dance are to be expected.

The new roster for Bavarian State Ballet is almost the old one (as for the repertoire B)): Osipova, Shirinkina and Shklyarov are listed as guests, Polunin as permanent guest. Matthew Golding is gone from the list, as are Alejandro Virelles who moves to Berlin, and Tigran Mikayelyan who dances for Ballet of Difference now, Richard Siegal's modern ballet company at Munich/Cologne. 

• Like 3

John Neumeier will stay Director of the Hamburg Ballet until 2023, when he will be 84 years old. He directs the company since 1973, since 1996 as Intendant, which means they are independent from the Hamburg Opera Director, a very important fact for ballet companies in the German State Theatres (ask Igor Zelensky who is not).

The company will get three additional dancer positions in 2018/19, the existence of the Junior Company (Bundesjugendballett) is guaranteed for the next years, and the town of Hamburg will continue to ensure Neumeier’s foundation and his vast ballet collection.

Lloyd Riggins, who was supposed to become Artistic Director next to a chief choreographer Neumeier who initially wanted to retire as AD, now will stay as Associate Ballet Director.

• Like 4

And here is the new season at Hamburg Ballet:

http://www.hamburgballett.de/downloads/vorschau/vorschau_ballett_18_19.pdf?m=1522138788& /

(Download for the season brochure)

The premieres are a Balanchine evening with Brahms/Schönberg Quartet and Liebeslieder Walzer, then Neumeier will create a new ballet after Tennessee Williams's The Glass Menagerie (he already made a ballet of A Streetcar Named Desire in 1983). No changes in the roster, as far as I can see. 

• Like 2

Brahms/Schönberg Quartet and Liebeslieder Walzer - TWO OF MY FAVOURITES .... I'M THERE ... NO QUESTION ....  THIS IS LIKE CHRISTMAS!!   SUCH A GIFT!!!!

Angela ... Can you buy tickets now .... I'd love to go to the Nijinsky Gala (and a couple of performances before in June '19) .... Grateful for your kind advice.  If not, do you know when they go on sale???  I tried on the HB web calendar but it wasn't letting get that far.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Angela ... Can you buy tickets now .... I'd love to go to the Nijinsky Gala (and a couple of performances before in June '19) .... Grateful for your kind advice.  If not, do you know when they go on sale???  I tried on the HB web calendar but it wasn't letting get that far.  

Don't worry, Angela ... I've found all the info I need now.  Thanks so.  I know in the past they used to issue all tickets immediately - but - new this year - they are holding them to 11th June (it's in my diary) ... and the Nijinksy Gala is by mail lottery with a requirement that the letter has to be received between specific dates in September.  

Edited by Bruce Wall