Sergei Filin

Ann, Boomer is actually quoting Tours en l'Air! 

We can only hope that there will now be a sea change at the Bolshoi after this awful event,  and now that the behind the scenes shenanigans have been brought to the world's notice.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Toursenlair has already posted this link, Boomer (see two postings above).  What shocked me about it was not the content - although that's bad enough - but the fact that it was Der Spiegel who had published it.  I had always thought that Spiegel was a respected and serious journal, but this article makes it seem more like a tabloid.

I had too, but a colleague is frequently posting links to articles from it (usually from the English side) and they haven't always been of the highest journalistic quality, if I remember rightly.  I rarely read it myself, so couldn't really comment, except that it wouldn't be the first relatively highly-regarded publication to be going downhill.

I had always thought that Der Spiegel was a bit like The Daily Mail.

???  I certainly hope not :)  You're not confusing it with Bild, are you?  (Not that that was anything like the DM really either, at least not last time I looked at it).

Der Spiegel is still the most important weekly news magazine in Germany, with a long and glorious tradition in uncovering scandals in politics, economy or society. Wikipedia compares it to Time, Newsweek and The Atlantic Monthly. However they are no experts in ballet, they rarely write about dance in their cultural pages, more about literature, art, theatre, classical music, often with fine interviews or portraits.

The English article that Katherine found in the online edition seems to be the translation of an article in the German print version of this week, which already made me frown on Monday. Maybe investigative journalists should not believe everything they are beeing told, especially by people with their own interests in the unfolding of the story, maybe somebody was too eager to present scandalous facts without proof. Nevertheless, one bad article does not make Der Spiegel a bad magazine; as we have often discussed here, there are some people who write about ballet who do not have the slightest hint about it. Less though in England than in Germany, it seems  :wacko: 

• Like 1

BBC Radio News is carrying a report from their Moscow correspondent this morning saying that Mr Filin has told him that he knows ("absolutely certain" is the translation used) who attacked him, but that he will not mention a name until the police investigation is complete.  The purported motive was to injure him and damage his position in the company.

Edited to add link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21311870

There's a similar picture in tonight's Evening Standard.  He appears to be almost unblemished, with little or no no evident injury to cheeks, nose or mouth, so I assume all the injury must occur around his eyes.  He has been very lucky. especially when you consider the the picture -  in the same paper - of the young woman  whose face has been so hideously burned and blackened by a similar acid-throwing incident.   I wish them both a speedy recovery.

now Iksanov talking about Tsiskaridze...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21356959

That is beyond disgusting. After Filin publicly stated that Tsiskaridze wasn't responsible and that he knows who his attacker is, Ikasanov accuses Tsiskaridze of wrecking the career of Gennady Yanin, one of his closest friends. Ikasanov has tried to get rid of Tsiskaridze ever since he had the temerity to question the high cost and shoddy workmanship of the Bolshoi Theatre restoration. He wasn't the only one to raise those questions, but he was the one critic with a very high public profile who attracted the most media interest in what was undoubtedly a major scandal. This settling of scores in the public arena is astonishing; could anyone imagine a general administrator of ROH behaving in this fashion? Of course not, there is something very wrong here.

It was mostly an interview with Nikolai Tsiskaridze with footage of Sergei Filin leaving hospital.  Mr Tsiskaridze stated his belief that it was all a conspiracy to remove him and gave some examples of how Mr Filin had been trying to force him out.  Mme Novikova refuted this.

It may well be repeated later in the programme.

This feud between Tsiskaridze and Filin is incredible and so are all the interviews with their accusations and mud-slinging. The expression "don't air your dirty linen in public" comes to mind. It makes the Bolshoi look such a dysfunctional organisation.

The expression "don't air your dirty linen in public" comes to mind. It makes the Bolshoi look such a dysfunctional organisation.

And yet nowhere near as dysfunctional as the Kirov, but so far they have kept their scandals under wraps, though that may change soon.

In a follow up news item on the BBC midday news the reporter who did today's broadcast feature said that NOW the Bolshoi are considering taking Tsiskaridze to court for defamation.  The plot thickens .... yet more.  Once feels certain it may soon be concrete.

It makes the Bolshoi look such a dysfunctional organisation.

It is a very unfortunate situation what is happening at the Bolshoi. However, I wouldn't call dysfunctional the organization, which continues to produce brilliant performances.

BBC World News channel featured an interview with Tsiskaridze this morning.  I agree that Filin looks remarkably "unscathed" compared to other acid attack victims I have seen - assuming his eyesight is OK then he has been extremely lucky.

"I agree that Filin looks remarkably "unscathed" compared to other acid attack victims I have seen - assuming his eyesight is OK then he has been extremely lucky."

I agree. In last night's Evening Standard there was a photograph of that poor young woman who was recently a victim of an acid attack in East London. Her face looked much "worse".

Aileen - if you had seen the picture of the young woman in the Evening Standard on 4 February, you would have seen her poor blackened face in its true horror. Yesterday's picture - bad though it still was - lifted my heart a little since at least you could see that the only distorting damage appeared (fingers crossed!) to be to the skin immediately below her eyes.  Her earlier picture was in sharp contrast to the picture of Filin's smoothly unscarred features printed a few pages further on in the same paper.

I'm afraid there's much more to come out in this ever-twisting story.

If you look at the video of him leaving the hospital, Mr Filin has obviously got som sort of hospital cap on under his hat - although it doesn't necessarily explain, the damage he sustained may be hidden under the hat if it was higher up his face.  Just a thought.

Updates in German newspapers this morning like this one in Aachener Zeitung.

The hospital of Aachen reports success on the treatment of SFs left eye. As of after the surgery he will have regained usable eyesight which will allow him to get along in his daily routines. They were able to reconstruct largely the surface of his left eye - whatever that means in terms of ophthalmology. They are not in the position at this point to make any predictions regarding his right eye though. The corrosion on both eyes penetrated deep into the tissues.

http://www.aachener-zeitung.de/lokales/aachen/arzte-moskauer-ballettchef-wird-nicht-blind-1.518986

This story gets odder by the day. Now it would appear that not only is his face unblemished, but all threats of 'blindness' have disappeared from reports of the incident -  reference is now being made only to  some 'damage' in one eye. In particular I don't understand why, only a day or so after the  incident, we were shown Filin being interviewed in his hospital bed  with his face and head bandaged like the invisible man, suggesting terrible facial damage (unless of course there were precautionary reasons for bandaging his entire face).

When the hub-bub dies down, I think there'll be questions to be answered by all parties concerned.

I've been wondering about this too, could it have been some caustic substance was thrown that wasn't actually acid?

That poor young girl that Ann commented on in an earlier post did have acid thrown at her and the effect on her face was catastrophic.