• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not being silly here, but could you take a cushion, or a thick blanket or something with you? Depending on where you sit in rows U, V or W, you could be on the back row and might not have anyone behind you so it won't matter if you elevate yourself a little bit? :)

A gentle reminder that if people added a "seating" tag when posting these sorts of queries they would then be able to click on "seating" in the Tag Cloud on the front page and call up a whole load of similar discussions :)  I've just gone through and added a "seating" tag to some more of the threads, so more should show up in future.  I may merge some of these threads in due course to keep the information handier.

• Like 5

I find the sightlines from the centre block of the amphitheatre to be good, even the higher up seats are well spaced and raked, although I'm quite tall I don't usually have a problem, but you never know who will be in front of you.  In the paper the other day it was advising 2 people to book for seats one behind the other and not side by side, sounds a good idea.

• Like 2

I am 5'2" and find I can get blocked in the stalls, so it isn't worth the expense for me. The amphi has super views in the good seats- I take binoculars for seeing detail.

For a once a year real treat I might go for the Grand Tier- same price as stalls and much , much better view for the petite person. (You also sometimes see dancers sitting there.)

Thank you everyone, I won't take the risk I'll go for the amphitheatre seats if we go. I'd be too embarrassed to ask for an inflatable cushion anyway! My dream seats would be in the Grand Tier but they are way too expensive, I had an offer for the stalls or I wouldn't even have considered it.

I saw Two Pigeons from centre block of row R in the Amphi and thought the view was very good.  The rake is enough that you could get away with a pretty tall person in front without being blocked. I had binoculars for the detail but found the overall view without them was much better than I expected.  Only drawback is no armrests, so you are more exposed to being sandwiched between two 'laterally challenged' neighbours

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 3

I loved the little "chat" at the end of this thread! Did you find each other??? I think the modern world of instant communication is amazing!   I live streamed the Genee and was suddenly contacted by a teacher friend who was actually in the audience and another teacher friend who, like me, was watching at home.  It was incredible to be able to exchange opinions about the candidates without moving from my computer, just by using WhatsApp!   

Edited by Dance*is*life

• 3 months later...

Some additional contributions from another thread (which you can get to by clicking on the curved arrow within the quotes):

Seats well anything facing the stage straight on is ok for me I don't like side seats do much as I get a cricked neck looking at the stage.  Grand Tier is nice if you can afford it, Balcony and Lower rows of the Amphi are fine too, but bear in mind none of the tiers are close to the stage if you sit facing straight on to the stage.

Seating preferences vary according to the individual, of course. Grand Tier is *very* nice, but rather far away. Balcony is like GT, but higher. Stalls circle can be good as long as you don't go too far to the sides, when you start getting a restricted view.

They are for sale on the normal Royal Opera House booking website, but it makes you buy the whole box, not just a single seat.
E.G. https://www.roh.org.uk/events/29126/tickets then select an area and click on a box.

They are for sale on the normal Royal Opera House booking website, but it makes you buy the whole box, not just a single seat.
E.G. https://www.roh.org.uk/events/29126/tickets then select an area and click on a box

The view from them is poor. The closer you are to the stage the less of it you can see.

Well sometimes you can get an individual seat in a box .......so not always sold as a whole box.

However beware!!

I did this once ....I was the 4th seat in a box...but the other three were altogether and obviously celebrating a birthday or something and definitely resented my presence even though they would have been told that there was a chance someone else might be in the box.
The view wasn't brill either as I felt I had to sort of sit not only behind them but back a bit as I felt awkward .....so I'd never do that again in a hurry!! I did try smiling and looking friendly etc but it didn't work on them.
It would have been okay if the box had been sold as 4 separate individual seats which I'm sure happens sometimes but if you are just the odd seat I'd avoid. You could always ask when buying the ticket how the box has been sold.
Some are too close to the stage anyway so a bit of a side view but others would be okay. Central ish stalls Circle are nice seats.....too expensive for me these days but I used to like sitting there ......especially if you can get an A row. Otherwise it's Balcony or first seven rows of the Amphi .....I won't sit further back than row G .....for me.