The advantage of sitting towards the sides of the stalls is that looking across diagonally (ish) at the stage means you are less likely to have your view impeded by tall people as it is easier to see round them!

I sat on row B in stalls once and couldn't see a thing!  I sat at the end of row C for the Bolshoi this summer and even though there was a tall person in front of me I could see round him because of the viewing angle.

• Like 4

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much everyone for your tips! :) I'm erring towards row K because of the whole 'being in the thick of it' angle. As it's my first time there, it'd be nice to appreciate the building and atmosphere fully too. 

Another quick question about the side stalls, because it's hard to tell from the website photos... Exactly *how* off to one side is it? Can you still see the full back of the stage, or will I be missing a small triangle of the stage? From the photos, I'd guess it's in line with the side of the stage, which would be fine...

Either would be good. We've sat in stalls circle before and the only thing I wasn't so keen on was that I felt slightly isolated from the atmosphere of the auditorium - if that makes sense? I think it was because you are further back from the stage but also because there is a low ceiling, rather than being able to look up at the whole auditorium in all its splendour.

I also note that applause doesn't register as loudly in the stalls circle as in the rest of the House, so you might feel a bit "out of it" in that way.  OTOH, I *am* usually standing in row D when in the stalls circle, so that may make a difference.

• Like 2

I would always prefer to be higher up rather than in the stalls because you get a better view of the patterns of the choreography.  Nowadays for financial reasons I always sit in the Upper Amphi, with a good pair of binoculars, and find this pretty acceptable.  I have over many years of ballet going sat in virtually all positions - and done a certain amount of standing! - and I've found that the only totally unacceptable seats are in the slips or in some of the boxes too far round the curve.  I have sat in stalls seats right up against the 'wall' of the stalls circle and found the view OK, as long as you are fairly far back.  I should think row K would be fine.  I hope you and your friend have a great time.

• Like 1

My favourite seats when I can afford is row A in the Stalls Circle but not too far to the sides although you have to be pretty side on before it would be a nuisance. I'm in Row R orchestra stalls for the same ballet Giselle in January!

The back of the stalls is fine too I prefer tobe towards the back if in the stalls and will always go for an end of row if lucky enough to get.

Row K should be okay and if you've never been before maybe the better choice. In the interval or at the end have a look at the stalls circle seats and see what you think. But that's where I generally sit for preference. Also from this area of the House is the perfect distance for my "driving" glasses to work perfectly to clarify dancers faces. Since I discovered this have to do a juggling act with glasses to read the programme(or sometimes just the cast sheet) and those to watch the performances!!

Hope you have a lovely time the ROH manages to be both beautiful and cosy at the same time. And what a lovely ballet to start with too.

• Like 2

Thank you all SO much for your replies. It was really kind of you, and you've all given me a real flavour of what to look for.

It's not often I'll get to go and see RB, this might be a bit of a one-off, and in the end I decided that I didn't want to sacrifice too much in my seats from either a distance or a central-location point of view. And I figured that pretty much whoever I saw would be probably be pretty awesome. So I had a nose around at the other castings and found some great seats centrally in the stalls for the 20th January performance with Sarah Lamb and Rupert Pennefather. I saw Sarah Lamb in the Alice cinema broadcast and the more I thought about it, the more I thought she'd actually be pretty brilliant as Giselle, particularly in act one, and I've heard great things about Rupert Pennefather. Plus, I think I'm right in saying it's Lamb's debut in the role, at least with RB (although I'm open to correction on that), so that could be interesting too.

...So I plumped for those tickets in the end! It's fair to say I'm excited! :D

Thank you all again, and I'm going to have a nose around the ROH with your advice in mind so I know what I'm doing for future booking! And I'll report back on the 21st with my thoughts. Have a great day all. :)

• Like 4

Except these days I suffer from vertigo in the slips but definitely good value for money!

I sat there (gripping the rail) last summer for opera with some newbie friends(to ROH) and they thought it was fantastic value too except for the vertigo effect......admittedly we are all young in heart.......if only the body would follow.....OAPs!

• Like 2

I actually love the slips. Sure, the very sides of the stage can be restricted, but for tickets that can be as low as £8, I don't think you can complain.

Except these days I suffer from vertigo in the slips but definitely good value for money!

I'm with you on the vertigo! I think I'd find even just the normal amphitheatre seats a bit of a struggle. I was reminded, though, of this article I found in the Guardian. It was the description she gives that put me off the idea of the slips. Sounds terrifying for someone like me who finds standing on a chair to change a bulb a bit of a challenge. ;)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I booked some seats for La Fille mal gardée (it'll be our first sighting of Osipova!) when public tickets were first made available and had a bit of a fight with the booking system which crashed on me. I eventually got some tickets, but then 2 lots arrived in the post, so I guess I'll be returning one set.

I'm not sure which ones to keep!

We've got Amphitheatre Left C44-C47 or B41-B44. They're all £51 except C46/C47 which are £58 - presumably because they're more central.

But B is a bit closer....

Which would you keep and which would you send back?

Well, FWIW I booked B47 on a special offer last year. The lady next to me and I ended up having to ask to be moved because the legroom was so poor. Don't know whether that affects the rest of the Row B seats in that block, or whether it's better as you go round the curve.

I am quite short and even for me the leg room in this part of the amphitheatre is only just enough. I find the problem is aggravated when your neighbour is average, tall (or dare I say it fat) and keeps trying to steal some of my space. Its worth remembering that the front row of the amphitheatre although the view is great has less room and that is why it is cheaper in the centre block.

I would go for the seats in row C if only because they are nearer the aisle and quicker to get in and out of if you have to catch a train an the end of the show.

A lady advised me once never get row B because if people in row A LEAN forward on the fingerboard your view can be interfered with so go for C if you can't get A. She then took the man to her other side to task for LEANING on the fingerboard!! She has a point. It is incredibly annoying in my experience if you are behind or next to a leaner!

• Like 1

I can remember the old days when the two pairs of seats at the ends of Row B were only £1 because the people in front did lean forward and obscure about a third of the stage. The second night of Dowell and Makarova in Month in the Country (followed by Baryshnikov and Collief in Rhapsody) was memorable for a couple creating merry hell because exactly that happened.

The usherette pointed out, quite forcibly, that this was the reason the seats were so cheap. Tnis did not mollify them.

Those were the days!

• Like 1

It doesn't mollify them now, either, even when all the seats are marked as (?semi-)restricted view :(

Trouble is, I think some people in Row A think they're entitled to a clear view even when they've bought an RV ticket, and this then has a knock-on effect on everyone behind them.

• Like 1

My ticket is C 61

Are these problems happening really on the very side seats of row B then?

Recently Ive had a spate of tickets in both Row C ....but also row B going from late 50's to late 60's and although I wouldn't say legroom was exactly brilliant......though once did get the aisle seat in this area which was great.

But from here in Row B I haven't had this problem of people leaning over in Row A!!

So perhaps if seats more on the side in Row A they can't see very well so lean forward so then Row B can't see??

I must admit I never buy a ticket with any hint of restricted view on it for ballet not even if it was only £1

• Like 1

To go back to thewinelakes question of favourite seats at the ROH .....

When I'm feeling flush ......which at the Opera House is less and less these days ...I used to love row A in the stalls Circle ....then backwards from there!!

Next would be standing in the stalls circle.....much cheaper great view but fiendishly difficult to get hold of and last year had foot injury so wasn't so keen to stand but better now.

Next is front of Amphitheatre rows A-D.....the more central seats that is.

Those are the favourites

I would have also said back of Stalls but am now completely priced out of this area of ROH

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I'm pretty short and thinking about booking tickets for Two Pigeons at the ROH. So considering my height would I be able to see from row U, V or W in the stalls or would I be better off in row P or R in the amphitheatre? I don't mind the view from up there at all but I've got a really good deal for the stalls I might go for but only if I can see!

Edited by munchkin16

Hi Munchkin. Others will be able to answer better from experience (I'm not a regular myself), but just to check - are you aware you can see the view from any particular seat on the ROH booking website? If you go through the booking process (pick any show with a few seats available) and click on a seat, it shows a photo of the view.

Apologies if you already know about this, thought I'd make sure you were aware in case it helps your decision. :)

Edited by BristolBillyBob

Yes I had a look at that thank you but it doesn't have a photo with a tall person infront ;) I was just hoping someone shorter might be able to help me out with a bit of personal experience in the matter. It's possibly for a friends birthday and as she's even shorter than me it would be a bit dissapointing if I booked the fancier tickets but neither of is could see!