RBS Auditions

Lisa O`Brien

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a relatively new user to the old forum and appreciated much sought after advice, my DD is also a JA, only yr 4 though. . . . I would just like to wish everyone who is going for the up coming auditions lots of luck!

Edited by amber21
  • Like 1

Beccijackson - as Fran says - the audition's fairly simple - although being able to skip round in circles is worth practising - sounds easy but isn't at that age and they do it a lot at JAs as I remember!

And please don't take this as sounding negative, but please be prepared for the fact that most of the children who get into WL for year 7 are already JAs. It's certainly not only JAs who get in by any means, there are several children at WL who either didn't ever audition for JAs or didn't get in. Enjoy the experience - it's lovely going to the Upper School (if that's where you're auditioning) and they're very friendly - the children always seem to come away happy.

My main piece of advice to all about to embark on auditions for RBS, Elmhurst etc is try not to tie yourselves in knots trying to work out what they are or aren't looking for/are they in the right grade/is my child the right shape/"someone moved my child's leg, does that mean they stand more chance" etc etc. Your child can only do their best and can't do anything about how long their legs/neck/arms are.... Enjoy each stage as it happens and don't give up trying if it's a no - you never know what's going to happen in the future.

Children - have fun

Parents - stay calm, take spares of everything, and get to know other parents - some will end up life-long friends

(I'm really jealous, this is an exciting time for you - my son's in graduate year so we're coming to the end of this part of the journey - bit sad.....)

• Like 4

totally agree with JulieW - take spares and don't forget the ballet shoes (as we did for DS final audition at White Lodge...)

definitely enjoy the day, and if you see someone (especially a lone, probably petrified dad like I was!) you don't know, go and speak to them as there are often groups of JA parents who know each other already. We now have long lasting friendships with others who like us were not JA parents, or even now with children at Vocational school. They will probably be as glad of the company as you will be.

• Like 3

Hi everyone, well after much searching around with the mouse i have finally worked out how to use this wonderful site. I just wanted to wish all who are auditioning over the next few months lots and lots of luck. All our fingers and toes are crossed.xxxx

Hi passionforballet, My daughter auditioned for year 4 JA and has enjoyed her three years with them, they only take a couple of year four children most of the places for that class go to those going into year 5. the year 4 children have to do the same year twice before moving up to the year 6 class. The Elmhurst associate class is relatively new so the classes were small this year and again the year 4 and 5 children were in together. It's a pity they don't have a mids class as my daughter has loved it on the Elmhurst course. my dd has just done her audition for mids/white lodge and is please with herself - just waiting now.

Tell your daughter to smile and enjoy the class and don't let it put her off if she doesn't get in this year keep trying and enjoying her dancing.

Good luck :)

Hi oldermum, that's interesting,I had assumed there would be more places available for Y4 children as I assumed it was a new cohort each year as the other children move up. Do you think it is advisable to wait another year then? Is it usual for people to apply a second time if they do not get in at first? I had assumed that you either have what they are looking for [RB potential] or not.

Hi Passionforballet - your question made me smile. Once my dd started auditioning for RBS associates (she didn't audition for JAs) she auditioned every year, but she never got in. In the last couple of years she didn't really expect to get in, just treated it as audition practice. However, I do know of one girl who auditioned pretty much every year and finally got in when it came to SAs, so its definitely worth continuing to try if she wants to (and you don't mind forking out the audition fee every year!)

My DD auditioning for SAs Birmingham 26th Jan-she did JAs then no luck for mids but are giving it a go anyway-your story was a lovely positive story Glowlight -anyway it's great practice and I love the Bullring!

Good luck to all auditionees!

Swe

• Like 1

Hi oldermum, that's interesting,I had assumed there would be more places available for Y4 children as I assumed it was a new cohort each year as the other children move up. Do you think it is advisable to wait another year then? Is it usual for people to apply a second time if they do not get in at first? I had assumed that you either have what they are looking for [RB potential] or not.

Hi Passionforballet

I would certainly recommend trying again for JAs in year 5 (if your nerves can handle it!) As oldermum says so few places are given at year 4 and having had a go at it once the audtion may be less daunting (if your child, like mine, is overwhelmed by ocassions such as those) I would also recommend the JA for a day workshops the RBS run that do what it says on the tin with the added bonus that parents can watch too and get an idea of a typcial JA class.

Good luck and keep us posted ! :)

Edited by angela_stapleton

Hi Passionforballet,

i used to think that you either have it or you don't for RBS and other schools but I now know of so many children who have been successful following repeated attempts that I would say keep trying all the way up to SAs. Children change and develop throughout the years and you just never know.

• Like 1

My DD and I would like to wish everyone who is auditioning for the big ballet schools the best of luck. you know who you are!

fingers firmly crossed for everyone....it will be us again for 6th form next year

T

Thanks! Can't believe it was a year since we met there - it was nice to see Lildancers DD there yesterday! x