Ballet Association: News and Upcoming Events

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was confirmed at tonight's meeting (with Natalia Makarova) that next week's meeting is cancelled owing to a clash with the RB schedule.  Anyway, that would have made it 3 meetings in 3 weeks, which I think is unheard of :) 

• Sim changed the title to Ballet Association: News of Upcoming Talks and Events
  • 2 weeks later...

The next meeting  will feature the Royal Ballet's Alastair Marriott and Jonathan Howells. Both are currently appearing on stage in Mayerling while also putting the finishing touches to The Unknown Soldier and, in Jonathan's case, acting as Ballet Master for other works in the rep.

Date: 7th November

Time: 7.30pm

Place: Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church, 235 Shaftesbury Avenue

Nearest Station: Tottenham Court Road

Cost: £5.00 (members); £4.00 (usual concessions) and £9.00 (guests)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder that Alastair Marriott and Jonathan Howells are talking to The Ballet Association this coming Wednesday (see above for venue and travel details).

Maybe the casting mysteries for The Unknown Soldier will be unravelled but, certainly, it will be interesting to hear about the creative process. And what exactly is involved for Jonathan in being Ballet Master for La Bayadere (while Alastair is one of the High Bramin)?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The speaker after The Ballet Association AGM on Wednesday, 5th December will be Thiago Soares.

Time: AGM - 6.45pm

Place: Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church, 235 Shaftesbury Avenue

Nearest Station: Tottenham Court Road

• 1 month later...

Next week (Wednesday, 23rd January) the Ballet Association will have Samira Saidi (now with the Royal Ballet School) and 3 RBS students as guests.

The following week (Wednesday, 30th January), the guest will be Royal Ballet Principal, Matthew Ball, hot foot from his appearances in the Bourne Swan Lake.

The meetings are at the Central Baptist Church as usual - see above for directions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On Wednesday, 6th March, the guest will be Alex Beard, Chief Executive of The Royal Opera House. Members have been invited to submit their questions in advance.

8 hours ago, alison said:

I have a feeling the deadline has probably been missed, but maybe worth a try.

The newsletter said that questions could be given to the chairman in advance or on the night so I assume that's still the case.

I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to go, but I'm sure it will be interesting.

• Like 2

I rather thought the questions were for the Chairman’s benefit in planning how best to cover a range of issues:

We know that members have many issues that they would like to raise with Alex. In order to cover all these effectively, we would ask members to submit questions to our Chairman in advance.

I don’t see any suggestion that Alex Beard is wanting advance notice of questions let alone vetting questions.  For my part I’m much more interested in the quality of the answer and would have no issue if Alex Beard does know questions in advance.  Sadly I’m not in London that evening but will be very interested in what’s said in the meeting report.

• Like 4

On 01/03/2019 at 22:39, JohnS said:

I rather thought the questions were for the Chairman’s benefit in planning how best to cover a range of issues:

We know that members have many issues that they would like to raise with Alex. In order to cover all these effectively, we would ask members to submit questions to our Chairman in advance.

I don’t see any suggestion that Alex Beard is wanting advance notice of questions let alone vetting questions.  For my part I’m much more interested in the quality of the answer and would have no issue if Alex Beard does know questions in advance.  Sadly I’m not in London that evening but will be very interested in what’s said in the meeting report.

How do we get to read this, John?

" As has been said a report will be prepared and posted in due course. As you may imagine the person or persons who were the invited guest speakers will be anxious to ensure that the report that has been prepared is an accurate account of what was said and that anything that might, on second thoughts , have been indiscreet, is removed before it is published on the site. The process is rarely completed in a few days as the dancers and other guests are busy people. However I suspect that this report may be turned round quicker than most are as it is Alex Beard's opportunity to demonstrate that he listens to the audience's concerns. If you google "Ballet Association-Official Website"  you will find a section headed "Reports". If you click on that link you will find that you have access to reports from as far back as meetings held in 2001. The report of the 2019 meeting at which  Matthew Ball spoke is already on the site. I am sure that the report of Mr Beard's meeting with the Ballet Association will be posted on the site as soon as possible. As the meeting only took place this week I don't think that it is appropriate to say that we have to be patient.

Edited by FLOSS

6 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

How do we get to read this, John?

Thanks Penelope - just in case you were referring to the quote I’d included in my post, the January newsletter includes a paragraph about Alex Beard’s meeting:

http://www.balletassociation.co.uk/Newsletters/news_19Jan.html

I’d suggested some questions to the Chairman who I imagine was inundated with questions from many members and I’m sure he’ll have found a way of structuring the session to cover many of the points raised.

Alison and Floss have already explained that there’ll be a report in due course which I’m sure will make for very interesting reading, particularly for those like me who were unable to attend.

penelopesimpson,

I don't know where you live and so I don't know whether it would be a practical proposition for you to attend the meetings of London Ballet Association or London Ballet Circle both of which hold their meetings at venues in central London. The meetings of both organisations are open to non-members. As to the difference between the two groups the Ballet Association's interest is focussed on the Royal Ballet Companies and the Royal Ballet School, with the result that it is sometimes disparagingly described as " the Royal Ballet's supporters' club". The Ballet Circle's interests are more wide ranging and not focussed on a particular company or group of dancers. Of course when it comes to the choice of guest speakers there is a considerable overlap between the two organisations. Both groups publish reports of their meetings.

• 1 month later...

A quick reminder that the guest of The Ballet Association this Wednesday (17th April) will be Marianela Nunez.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another reminder - this time that the Royal Ballet First Soloist, Claire Calvert will be talking at The Ballet Association this coming Friday.

Date: 10th May

Time: 7.30pm

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ricardo Cervera (formerly an RB  First Soloist and currently a Ballet Master with the RB) will be talking at The Ballet Association  this  Friday.

Date: 24th May

• 2 months later...

FRANCESCA HAYWARD, Principal of The Royal Ballet, will be talking at The Ballet Association  next Wednesday.

Date: 28th August

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2