Royal Ballet Lower School Auditions 2013

tutucute22

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo - I possibly have all this auditioning fun to come next year if we decide to do it!  Please can someone tell me, when auditioning for year 7 White Lodge and/or Mid Associates, is it one audition and they just allocate you to one or the other as appropriate (or none) on the day?  Or is it two different auditions?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently auditioned for year 11 at RBS WL... does anyone know the chances of being accepted during that year? We've been told it's a very difficult year to get into, and that they usually don't accept anyone.... I have a friend at Elmhurst who says they haven't taken anyone in for year 11 for a lone time. Is WL similar? 

• Like 1

Oh, good luck for Year 11! It's unusual because it's difficult to transfer in the middle of GCSEs - and WL don't assess out at the end of Y10.

That said they took a French girl from YDA into Year 11 this year (Year 10 age, but pushed on a year) + another girl from overseas.

where are you up to with your academics?

• Like 1

Thank you Marianne! They told us at the start of the auditions that Years 10 and 11 are really difficult years to get into, and that there's very few spaces, if any at all. That was a bit disheartening right from the start, but it's nice to hear that it does happen! (:

I'm currently in Year 10, halfway through my GCSE's at an independent school in Britain. I'm from america though... this is my first year here and my first experience with GCSEs.  Because I've been in an american system for my previous years, I'm ahead in some subjects. 

I would love to get in, of course, but auditioning for 6th form instead does seem a whole lot more logical now that I understand how the GCSE system works. What do you think? 

Gcse's are a two year course and as different school offer different syllabuses or options within the same syllabus transferring in the middle if the course is virtually tantamount to a fail - and that's without the complication of transferring controlled assessment/coursework marks.

It would be much more sensible to try for 6th form.

• Like 3

A letter arrived this morning to say my grandaughter has made it through the first round, so that's good news. Remarkably her close friend has also made it to the final, not bad for two girls from the Hull area. We all know however that's when the going gets tough, but hey lets enjoy for the time being at least.

• Like 7

Vonrothbart - the water in the Hull area seems to contain something special so I would expect nothing less!!  Just look at some of the positions that Hull alumni currently hold:  Director of the Royal Ballet, Ballet Master at BRB and Artistic Director of Elmhurst.  All three wonderful dancers too!

• Like 2

Vonrothbart - the water in the Hull area seems to contain something special so I would expect nothing less!!  Just look at some of the positions that Hull alumni currently hold:  Director of the Royal Ballet, Ballet Master at BRB and Artistic Director of Elmhurst.  All three wonderful dancers too!

I knew the director was from the Hull area but didn't know about the others, quite remarkable and as you say it must be the water.

Huge congrats to your granddaughter Vonrothbart- even if she isnt lucky enough to get a place this time, getting to Finals is a wonderful achievement; hope she has a fab day at the audition!

Yes I fully agree, it is an achievement as some good dancers won't have made it. I'm sure they will both enjoy their day no matter what the outcome.

Apart from Michael O'Hare, Kevin O'Hare and Robert Parker there was Mark Silver (RB then BRB principal), Neil Westmoreland (NB and Matthew Bourne), Ashley Dixon (NB) and I think also Joe Caley (BRB).

A dear friend of mine also knew of dancers going back years who had "made the grade".  There must be some seriously good training in East Yorkshire.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there will sixteen in two groups for the final audition for lower school in a couple of weeks. Does anyone 

know how many are likely to gain a place, or isn't there a set number, just the dancers they want, or maybe none 

at the extreme if there's no one suitable for them?

I believe there will sixteen in two groups for the final audition for lower school in a couple of weeks. Does anyone 

know how many are likely to gain a place, or isn't there a set number, just the dancers they want, or maybe none 

at the extreme if there's no one suitable for them?

My understanding is that 12 girls and 12 boys are offered year 7 places at WL - as always I am happy to be corrected!! Other schools seem to have more flexibility with their numbers (though not all places at the other schools will be funded through MDS)

Good luck to all dcs attending final auditions over the next few weeks  :)

Is it not WL final so all attending are hoping to gain a place full time not associates stretcher... If they just wanted associate places then they wouldn't be attending the finals so all groups are potential WL places!! Not sure how the groups will be sorted.... Although at Elmhurst finals they were purely in alphabetical order I believe, WL may be different :) good luck

Cx

Last year for the girls they had a pink and purple group. These were sorted in a simple way, it was age or alphabetically I think, I can't remember now. As C4D says above they will all be there for fulltime places. There were a lot on the panel but would have to ask DD who they were but definitely the senior artistic team and quite a few others. Try to enjoy it, it is a special time and gone so quickly. Stay positive with your dc tell them to smile and enjoy. Best of luck to you all at all the finals and funding auditions over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

My DD's also in the green group. I wonder if they are put in birthday order? as I can remember my DD's JA teacher asking them when they're birthdays were whilst discussing the preliminary auditions. Not sure if it's the same for the finals though.