Royal Ballet Lower School Auditions 2013

tutucute22

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try not to dissect it too much. They split them onto two groups so one half are in the class while the other half are doing something else. And sensibly they use the colours as names now as that's nice and neutral (better than 1 and 2, or A and B).

I'll prepare you now for the fact they might keep some a bit later than others, but ask that we don't start a huge discussion on what that might mean to your child, as there's no way of knowing - some get in from the ones who go first and some from the ones who stay.

No preference is given to associates - but they will have been chosen as JAs (or MAs) for a reason, but then everyone at finals is there because there's something they like about them.

Panel size - just prepare your child that there'll be quite a lot of people watching, but concentrate on the teacher taking the class, ask if they don't know something and smile!

• Like 1

Does anyone know how many will be on the audition panel? It just says in the info I received today for my DD that  "Panel members will include the full ballet teaching faculty of the lower School" so just wondering how many that might be??

From the Royal Ballet School website http://www.royal-ballet-school.org.uk/personnel.php?s=4  seems it would be:

Antonio Castilla

Jessica Clarke

Tania Fairbairn

Nicola Katrak

Hope Keelan

Diane van Schoor (Ballet Principal of Lower School)

David Yow

Plus Gailene Stock and Jay Jolley? 

• Like 1

Wishing everyone best of luck and remember whatever the outcome your dc has done phenomenally well to get to finals, that in itself is cause for celebration.

Enjoy the day and don't try to read too much into situations that may arise- everyone is there on a level playing field.  Incidently its worth pointing out that if successful, candidates will have to get used to large panels watching, also days when us teachers descend en masse to watch class etc.  So one of my tips is to smile and perform because afterall Ballet is a performing art. Indeed on our audition day we spoke to a teacher who asked us if we had a dc in the group. When we said that our dc would be the one performing with a big smile the response was "thats something you can't teach"..

So everyone, go and ENJOY dancing!

edite for spelling yet again

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 3

I agree with Julie and Hfbrew, everyone reads so much into everything and basically all they are doing is splitting 31 girls into 2 groups!!!

There are Jas in both groups and when my eldest daughter was there it was alphabetical so she was in group 2!! That simple!

Poor kids have got enough stress just going to these auditions without the added pressure from mothers analysing everything and probably getting it all wrong!

I told my daughter that she is in green group and that made happy as thats her favourite colour, my son is in blue group and he's with all yr 7 boys together.

It makes no difference if you are in the 1st group in or the 2nd just go with the flow and what will be will be

• Like 4

We haven't really discussed my ds audition next Friday. Its just the day that determines whether he gets into WL or not. If he get in he gets in, if not will try again next year. Haven't even told him he is in blue group. I have however told him causally that they might ask him questions about books and pets. His reply...ok.

• Like 2

I agree with Julie and Hfbrew, everyone reads so much into everything and basically all they are doing is splitting 31 girls into 2 groups!!!

There are Jas in both groups and when my eldest daughter was there it was alphabetical so she was in group 2!! That simple!

Poor kids have got enough stress just going to these auditions without the added pressure from mothers analysing everything and probably getting it all wrong!

I told my daughter that she is in green group and that made happy as thats her favourite colour, my son is in blue group and he's with all yr 7 boys together.

It makes no difference if you are in the 1st group in or the 2nd just go with the flow and what will be will be

Plie, No mum is putting "added pressure" on their dc, & we already know that they've got enough stress just going to the auditions. We are simply mum's (& dad's) discussing & asking each other questions about the final that is all, which is what I thought this forum was all about!

Thanks Charlie4dancin.

I have always told my dc that there is always someone out there better than you. At the moment ds was surprised he got to finals. As long as there are great dance schools out there for our dc to go to that is great. WL is just the cherry on the cake.

• Like 1

When we were there last year, the majority of dd's were JA's so no they don't have a JA group and non JA group.  Really don't think there is anything more complicated about it other than they have to split the group in two. You can beat yourself up trying to second guess them - doesn't make the day come round any sooner and won't change the outcome. So try and relax and enjoy the moment as really this is the easy bit, believe me!  ;)

• Like 5

Well my grandaughter must be very lucky regarding any stress, as she is absolutely looking forward to it, and can't wait. I feel a bit sad when I hear of ten year olds getting stressed out for gods sake, they're not old enough to be putting any pressure on them, and like spax said "if they get in, great. If not try again" 

I don't think the children get "stressed" as such, but it's natural to be nervous, especially as it's something that's probably really important to them. They usually want it even more once they've been to the final audition too as it feels within reach (and might be their first time seeing the school too - made me want to go there the first time I went to an open day!)

It's the parent's job to stay calm (in front of the child), pack spare essential items, ask all the questions you need to, and deal with the fall-out afterwards (whether is a yes or a no!).

I was glad things had changed by the time we went through it and it wasn't the old system of spending two days there to be told at the end before you went home. Imagine all the tearful car/train journeys!

Oh, one tip (unless they've changed things and now provide lunch) - take some food unless you've driven there and can drive to a pub!

From being there last year I echo what everyone is saying about not trying to second guess too much ! Last year there was all sorts of theories about what being called back meant ! My dd got a place and was called back for a second look but some also got places who were only seen once - it can drive you mad trying to work out what this means and we still don't know ! My advice is to get outside for a walk and if you have a car go to Pembroke lodge in the park for lunch or into richmond. If not take some food as it is a long Day for parents - my dd however said it was over in a flash and had a great time !

Good luck to everyone and enjoy your day x

• Like 4

Guest Autumn days

I have always understood that those that go first are either the ones that they know that they definitely want (probably just a few) and those that they definitely don't want. The ones that they call back are the ones that they want to have another look at before deciding one way or another. So, yes, there are some that get in and some that don't in each group.

When my dd last auditioned the original groups were split by age. 

Good luck from us too! Enjoy the day - think this is easier for the children than the parents! And yes - don't read anything into whether your dd/ds is kept back or not, it really isn't significant. Hope the sun shines and you all have straight forward journeys too :)