10cc "I'm not in Love" video on The Guardian website

aileen

I hope that I'm not lowering the tone of this forum, but those of you of a certain age (and probably female) may remember this on TOTP. It was a staple of school discos (for the "slow dances") in the 1970s, and just seeing this video has brought back many memories. I was mad about the lead singer in this song but I can't now remember his name!

My other early hearthrob was Don McLean of "American Pie" fame. I recently found out that he's still performing.

Edited to include info about DMcC

Edited by aileen

I thought Eric Stewart was the lead singer, full-stop? (although I may be wrong - I didn't see that much of them). I remember thinking he was rather dishy myself - although I was a little young for the school discos at the time.

I think I saw somewhere that "10cc" are still touring, albeit with only one of the original foursome.

• Like 1

I went to see 10cc a couple of months ago. Not the total original line-up as Godley and Creme left years ago. I think 1976. The whole night was amazing. Can't believe how much they wrote for other people. Well especially Graham Gouldman. Totally brilliant.

Funnily enough we saw The Manfreds last night. Mike d'Abo and Paul Jones both in it. Again the talent is huge. Mcquinness is also there. Infact it is pretty much the line after Jones left but with him back. No Manfred Man himself though so you don't get "Blinded by the Light":-(

• Like 1

Funny how, back in the late 70s, I really liked "Blinded By The Light" - and later, Patti Smith's "Because The Night", too - they were so different from the music I usually liked at that time that I never understood it, until it finally made sense when I eventually discovered what they had in common. (And that's your starter for 10 ...)

Funny how, back in the late 70s, I really liked "Blinded By The Light" - and later, Patti Smith's "Because The Night", too - they were so different from the music I usually liked at that time that I never understood it, until it finally made sense when I eventually discovered what they had in common. (And that's your starter for 10 ...)

The Boss!!

• Like 1

It always amazes me how music can transport you back to such different places and times in your life. Memories come flooding back, and although most of them are happy it makes me feel melancholy for times gone by, lost youth, etc. The important thing, though, is that I am lucky enough for most of the memories to be lovely ones.

• Like 2

According to the names under the photograph accompanying The Guardian article the one which I fancied was indeed Eric Stewart. I'm not sure that he was the permanent lead singer though. The songs were written by different members of the band and I seem to remember other members singing the lead vocals. As soon as I hear that fuzzy, moody bit of music at the beginning of the song I know immediately that it's 10cc's "I'm not in Love". Looking at the photograph reminds me of something which I read about pre-teen and young teenage girls being attracted to rather feminine looking men; think David Cassidy, Justin Bieber and Robert Pattinson. My 12 year old daughter doesn't seem to have any heartthrobs yet. She's very scathing about the likes of Justin Bieber. Actually, I think that girls in the UK may be more sophisticated (and not in a good way) than those in North America, certainly in Canada judging from what I hear from my sister who lives there, with the result that many have grown out of JB, RP et al by the end of year 7. In Canada and, I think, the US children change schools at 13 rather than at 11 and I'd hazard a guess that this later change of schools may be the reason that they do not grow up so quickly.

My huge teenage crush throughout my teenage years was Robert Plant. Sigh. And Led Zeppelin still my favourite group after all this time!

Having said which, the only fan letter I wrote was when I was 10, to David Cassidy. Strangely, he never replied! :(

Nils Lofgren, who played with Bruce Springsteen for some years, does a super dooper whizzo cracker version of Because the Night in his acoustic set.

I would have to say Ian Gillan as a rock star crush with Paul Rodgers as a second and Rory Gallagher was just so cute too (I went to bed and cried myself to sleep when I heard that RG had died).

• Like 1

My 12 year old daughter doesn't seem to have any heartthrobs yet. She's very scathing about the likes of Justin Bieber. Actually, I think that girls in the UK may be more sophisticated (and not in a good way) than those in North America, certainly in Canada judging from what I hear from my sister who lives there, with the result that many have grown out of JB, RP et al by the end of year 7. In Canada and, I think, the US children change schools at 13 rather than at 11 and I'd hazard a guess that this later change of schools may be the reason that they do not grow up so quickly.

My daughter (13) thinks JB's a wimp too - she prefers Michael Buble!! (so do I but I haven't told her that ;))

Interesting what you say about changing schools at 11 - here in Bedfordshire we still have Lower, Middle & Upper, where they change schools at 9 and 13. This system doesn't 'fit' in with the key stages and official busybodies are always trying to change it, but I think it works well, and it is much more of a match with the natural rhythms of childhood.

Incidentally, we have family in the US and in their state, they can pass their driving test at 15, buth they aren't allowed to drink alcohol until 21.

Nils Lofgren, who played with Bruce Springsteen for some years, does a super dooper whizzo cracker version of Because the Night in his acoustic set.

Does he? Will listen out for it. He doesn't still do the backflips though, does he?