News of non-dancing children.....

JulieW

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Not an achievement in the conventional sense but my youngest child has made me intensely proud tonight. He told me that he has decided to see his head of year at school tomorrow to report the bullying of a child in his form by some of the other pupils. Without prompting, he then went on to tell me that he was well aware that once the bullies found out he would almost certainly become their next target, but that he wasn't going to let that stop him, because "that's how they get away with it isn't it?" My hayfever started playing up at that point...

• Like 7

If you can find the strength (not easy by any means) to stand up to a bully, you will probably have at least one friend for life, as I found out in my younger days. He's turned out to be a decent bloke to be honest, and even now still apologises from time to time about his bullying all those years ago, and says I was right to let him have one. I wouldn't fancy it now mind, as he's a man mountain.

I thought I'd mention this too, I played golf with a young lad, who handicap was 2 at the time, he's now a professional. His elder brother is the present Professional Commonwealth Lightweight boxing champion, and his younger brother is a Professional footballer who plays for Leeds United, not bad for one family.

Edited by Vonrothbart
added text.
  • Like 1

I had a bully from school apologise to me on Friends Reunited some years ago. She’s a friend now. Apparently she was jealous of the fact that her mum worked and mine didn’t although she did when we were older. The ironic thing is that I don’t remember her bullying me because there were so many others that did it too. That council estate was hell and it got worse after I went to grammar school and they didn’t. Ah well, I came out the other side.

• Like 2

Hee hee Fiz that reminds me of thelarge  family next door ( on a 50's council housing estate) who we shared a pathway with and when I went to the "posh" school as they called it drew a line down the centre of the path for us one side and them the other!! It was only half meant though but as there were ten of them and I was an only child I was fascinated with this family! 

I got on very well with some and not so well with others! My mum helped two of the children to learn to read as both parents had alcohol problems and the youngest members of the family were left pretty much to their own devices and caused some havoc in the road we lived on. The older children were different and very respectful....perhaps brought up when the parents had had the energy or inclination to give them some time.....

A sadder fact of that estate though was that some children who passed that wretched 11 plus exam didn't take up their places at Grammar School because they wanted to be with their friends at the secondary school which was much nearer to the village etc.

My parents were much stricter generally though and no chance of me opting out!! Though of course I wanted what they wanted which was to have a good education. My own mum had seen members of her own family not be able to have the advantage of better education (as it was at the time) for reasons of comparative poverty but things were a lot better in the 50's in that respect for most people especially from about  1955 onwards so there was no good reason not to go to grammar school( you had to buy uniforms for both schools anyway) other than a sort of inverse snobbery which some people had and held their children back because of this or just wanted an easy life if their children decided they didn't want to go. 

Life on that estate wasn't that bad though as there were such a mixture of people living there and generally people looked out for each other and of course us kids did have a lot more freedom than they do now. We all knew who the bullies were and tried to avoid them but my dad only seriously intervened once though ( eg went with some animation to see another parent) after a particularly vicious and unprovoked  attack. That boy never touched me again. There was another boy who was a bit of a bully sometimes especially if he suddenly lost his temper but us girls never told on him because his own dad was a horrible vicious brute and so we felt sorry for him a lot and we're all a bit scared of his dad!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

Pups_mum just wondering how youngest pup got on?  Must admit he was in my thoughts this weekend.

Oh that's very kind of you meadowblythe. So far, things seem to be OK. The bullies have been spoken to by the head of year and my son's friend is currently being left alone. He and some other friends are keeping a careful eye on her though as they are not convinced of the sincerity of the bullies' apologies. But so far, so good. Thank you so much for asking.

• Like 6

On 12/11/2012 at 12:58, JulieW said:

My daughter (who does dance at advanced level but not wanting a career out of it) has an interview for Bristol vet school :) :) They still only take 30-50% of interviewees, but it's a step closer, and at least means her personal statement and work experience/grades etc must be OK!!

So pleased to have heard so early - I feel the same as I did when Josh was auditioning for ballet schools/jobs - that horrible waiting :angry::rolleyes: Still 3 more schools to hear from yet though - keep everything crossed for her.

Well here we are.... I first started this thread in November 2012 with the above message.

Yesterday we heard that she passed all her final exams so we now have a doctor in the house (they've only been able to call themselves "Dr" in the UK since 2015 https://www.rvc.ac.uk/news-and-events/press-office/veterinary-surgeons-can-be-called-doctors)

We are exceptionally proud of her. It's so hard to get into vet school in the first place, then such hard work all the way through, with long days of lectures, constant exams and assessments, virtually no holiday breaks to speak of due to placements. Not all of her friends have made it to the end but those who have are so lovely and it was amazing to hear everyone in the background on the phone sounding so excited.

Graduation will be extra special this time (some of you will remember she got a first class degree in her 3rd year so we had a graduation then too) because the 5th years go back to the vet school in the afternoon to sign the register enabling them to practise as a vet. It's going to be happy and sad at the same time - they're such a close-knit community.

She has a job to go to starting in September so she's going to have a lovely summer.  She's going to write to all the people who have helped her along the way, from the farm where she went lambing in year 11, to the lady who let her help with her dog's whelping, to the farms and vets who have taught her so much. She's going to be busy.

And thanks to all of you who have supported me along the way too. It's hard work being a "dance mum" but a "vet student mum" too is possibly harder 🤣

• Like 12

Thank you so much everyone - sorry for the delay replying, been on a camping holiday in the Peak District for a couple of weeks enjoying this fabulous weather! We only saw her briefly before we went away - to clear out and clean the house - so it was lovely to have a celebratory drink or two in the garden last night. Now looking forward to Thursday and graduation - although it's an early start as they've given them the first time slot and they've got to sign the RVC register beforehand, so we've got to be there at 7.30 🤔. I'll try to put a photo on!

Right, must go.... Got a mountain of washing to do.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It seems like small fry compared to the successes of many, but DS2 (who is no longer dancing so perhaps the D is now Darling not Dancing!) has just got his GCSE results, and exceeded our expectations. Not by getting a zillion 9s or A* but by actually overcoming 3 years of immense psychological difficulties and going on to sit through every exam and pass enough to go forward to 6th form college. 

I think I cried just as much and with the same level of joy as when DS1 got offered his contract at the Bolshoi.

Off to celebrate!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, CeliB said:

It seems like small fry compared to the successes of many, but DS2 (who is no longer dancing so perhaps the D is now Darling not Dancing!) has just got his GCSE results, and exceeded our expectations.

Huge congratulations to DS2!

Like Celib B, may seem small fry but I think the wild celebrations from staff and family for my musical DD's E in maths at A level far exceeded the scholarship offers for music college - done on sheer grit and determination not to be beaten.   

Not easy juggling a full academic time table with 14 hours per week scheduled musical activities, and that's before you think about practice.  I am very proud she met her personal goals and is a thoroughly decent human being.  

• Like 9

Another proud house here of a non dancing but musical DD. After 3 years in 6th for various very unpleasant reasons DD went out on a high with her final result in Biology ( an A in AS )  The best thing is she didn’t even need to turn up to the exam because she has a unconditional based on her audition and her results from the year( only 2 A levels and one was below the minimum requirement) So a very happy house here and a spare room slowly filling up with university necessities. 

• Like 5

lots of lovely news on here - congrats to all. Delighted to be able to add to it - DD2 - who has felt a little lost as to what direction to take after deciding not to go onto professional dance training has also just passed A levels and got into university.

Dining room starting to fill with university necessities, DD1 home for a few days to unpack from rehearsals and pack for her next contract. Oh and DS home for the weekend to see his sister off and grandparents visiting tomorrow. So think of us all in this madhouse as today is Christmas for our family as it will be the end of May before we can be all together again.

• Like 6

That's lovely news about your younger DS CeliB 

i would never have guessed he has had such problems as he is so articulate and interesting to talk to!!  I still remember our really lively  chat about Max Richters music ....and a certain tv programme showing at the time ....I am sure he will do well in the sixth form.

Congratulations to other Forum DD's and DS 's who have done well recently too......August is such a nerve wracking time waiting for exam results and making important decisions for the future

• Like 3