News of non-dancing children.....

JulieW

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had good and bad news in our house last week.  The good news is that my beautiful singing daughter got a first in her music and performance degree, the bad news is that she has just got Bells Palsy, really quite severely.  Think it must be due to all the hard work and stress. :(

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

All4dancers - how's your daughter coming along?

My daughter passed her driving theory test this week (oooo, that made me laugh - phone initially put in "drinking theory"!!). Practical's coming along well - seems she's a bit of a natural ;-) but no test date available before she leaves for uni (assuming she does - we'll know that in a fortnight!!!) so her instructor's keeping a look out for a cancellation in September.

• Like 3

Thanks for asking Julie  :) I had her home with me for a couple of weeks and there has been quite some improvement.  It was so very hard not to cry when I first saw her, the thing is, it isn't just a case of not being able to move one side of the face, when she smiled, the muscles from the side that could moved were somehow pulled the opposite way which turned the half smile into a grimace.  Consequently, she had lost alot of self-confidence and didn't want to speak to people in public.  However, before she left here, that had stopped happening quite so much and she was beginning to be able to move her right eyebrow a little.  She has just been on holiday to Poland for a week and is due to go to a friend's in Turkey soon, so she is definitely on the mend.  I think that is half her trouble - she never stays still!

Congrats to your daughter on passing her theory and fingers crossed for A-level results.  Scary times. xx

• Like 2

Well I had a lovely surprise this week.Turns out the Child Tax Credit people at Her Majesty`s Revenue and Customs have been underpaying me for the last two years. They credited my bank account with three and a half thousand pounds on Wednesday. Have straight away put a thousand pounds of it away for Sean my son [16],for when he wants driving lessons. A nice wee windfall. Yay.!!!!!!

• Like 13

Glad to hear she's improving A4D - you'll probably notice a difference when she comes back from Turkey - small improvements all the time which you don't usually notice.

Good news about the windfall TheQuays!

• Like 2

Thank goodness.... after a very tense day and night..... daughter's got into Nottingham vet school and far exceeded her predicted grades, getting 3 A*s and an A (and, much to our amusement, a D in General Studies)

:-D :-D

We're very happy as you can imagine! You feel in limbo for so long - can now start making proper plans (mostly involving shopping!)

• Like 12

Julie so pleased for your daughter - I hope she enjoys her course at Nottingham and the rhododendrons.  Have been checking back to see where she got into.  Many congratulations

Spooky congratulations to your daughter too.  One never know when somebody's dc may dance on a set designed by your daughter - wouldn't that be something!

• Like 5

My son gets his GCSE results tomorrow.[Yikes!!]. He needs a minimum of 4 GCSE`s at C or above to get on his Health and Social Care BTEC. Of the 7 GCSE`s he`s doing, let`s hope he gets the minimum needed. He`s very bright but very,very lazy, and i`ve virtually had to drag him into school the last 5 years. Visits from the Education Welfare Officer at home on more than one occasion , threatening to take me to court, too. So, considering how it could have all turned out, if he gets what`s required of him and is able to do his college course in September, it will, for his standards, be a success. Kids, eh?

Some years ago now thequays a teaching colleague was horrified to be summoned to her sons secondary school near Kings Cross to be asked why he hadn't attended for the previous five or six weeks.

Apparently hubby(also a teacher) had been dropping him off at the gate but he had then been wandering around the local streets and not going in as he hated it so much!! Two teachers son playing truant from school.....but of course she did not see the funny side of it knowing what could have happened to him on these wanderings!

They eventually provided him with a special tutorial group and he also started attending Anna Scher's Theatre school in Islington at the time and basically never looked back got loads of acting jobs including a well known soap for a while, made some money in films and is doing nicely Thankyou !!!

She never could understand why this youngest son hated school so much. Her daughter had gone to the Royal Ballet School and her eldest was at Uni. Some things are difficult to explain but anyway she's happy now!!!

• Like 3

Very pleased with Sean`s GCSE Results. It means he will be able to do his college course [Health and Social Care BTEC worth 3 A Levels].When I heard how strict they had been marking the papers this year I expected the worst, but he has 6 Grade C`s [English Lang.Maths,Science,History,LLW and Religion] and 1 Grade D [Geography]. Considering it was a constant struggle to get him to even attend school on most weeks, he has done rather well.!

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Non-DD who had a Summer Internship with Centrica/British Gas has had her contract extended until Christmas at least.

She has also been offered by Centrica, a Graduate 3 year placement for Finance for September 2014 so she can become a Chartered Accountant while working for them.

She's really pleased that she's sorted for next year. :)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...