Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bangorballetboy

Royal Ballet School summer performances 2019

Recommended Posts

I don't know if this is already common knowledge but @MrsBBB has drawn this link to my attention, which sets out some details of the programmes.

 

I've very pleased to see Flowers of the Forest, which is a piece I think works well for senior students (and which I thought might be coming up as we saw some RBS students rehearsing it in a recent insight evening).  I also think Marriott's Simple Symphony is a great piece for the students.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a look at that page the other day when Opera Holland Park tweeted the link to it. However I didn't find it that helpful. I've booked for one of the OHP performances which is billed as being mostly the 16-19 year old students and the only item on that list that seems to apply to them is the Ashton Les Valses. I don't know much about Ashton but I was under the impression that it is a shorter piece so presumbly it won't just be that for the evening? At least I hope it won't be as it's a long trip to OHP for 1 short piece!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I had a look at that page the other day when Opera Holland Park tweeted the link to it. However I didn't find it that helpful. I've booked for one of the OHP performances which is billed as being mostly the 16-19 year old students and the only item on that list that seems to apply to them is the Ashton Les Valses. I don't know much about Ashton but I was under the impression that it is a shorter piece so presumbly it won't just be that for the evening? At least I hope it won't be as it's a long trip to OHP for 1 short piece!

 

Flowers of the Forest is danced by the graduate class so I imagine it will be in the OHP "predominantly upper school" shows.  Simple Symphony, Pulse and the Ek Swan Lake are also upper school pieces.  Whatever the programme is, it will be a full programme, not just one short piece.  :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

 

Flowers of the Forest is danced by the graduate class so I imagine it will be in the OHP "predominantly upper school" shows.  Simple Symphony, Pulse and the Ek Swan Lake are also upper school pieces.  Whatever the programme is, it will be a full programme, not just one short piece.  :) 

 

Ah, right. I think I'm finding it unclear because I take "2nd year students" as = year 8 and "3rd year students" as = year 9. Presumably they actually mean the 2nd & 3rd years of the upper school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

 

Ah, right. I think I'm finding it unclear because I take "2nd year students" as = year 8 and "3rd year students" as = year 9. Presumably they actually mean the 2nd & 3rd years of the upper school.

 

Yes, that’s right. Years 8-11 are lower school and 1st to 3rd Year are upper school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That now makes a lot more sense of the listing. Although I'm also now a tad apprehensive at the number of modern pieces involved! I hope the choreographers are ones who are fairly classical in style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

That now makes a lot more sense of the listing. Although I'm also now a tad apprehensive at the number of modern pieces involved! I hope the choreographers are ones who are fairly classical in style.

 

The Bintley and the Marriott are both classical. Pulse is more modern and Ek is somewhere in between. So that should hopefully be a nice, reasonably balanced mix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...