Royal Ballet Senior Associates

Proudmumofdd

Hi Proudmum, 

SA1 is 12:15 - 2:30pm but I think they need to arrive at 12:00. 

There is a black camisole leotard on the uniform list but it’s not compulsory. I think as long as it’s fairly plain it will be ok. 

The train has worked out better for doing school work en route and fitting in the local ballet class too.

Wait for the cheapest tickets to go on sale before booking and keep copies if you’re applying for the travel bursary. 

Around London dd uses an Oyster card and every couple of weeks she gets someone to register it for child fares. Hope that helps 😊

SA1 is 12.15pm to 2.30pm, Dd likes to get there 45 mins before to warm up etc.

Uniform is black leotard but they prefer plain.

We have a Zip card for tube, it works out super cheap 75p each way for Dd’s Journey kings cross to Covent gardens, I just too it up online.

We also book train 12 weeks in advance to get best price, if claiming bursary you will need to provide receipts for first 3 weeks travel and then they will average cost for the year from those tickets.

Well done to your Dd, it has been a very positive experience for my Dd and she is looking forward to attending SA2 next year.

10 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

Is the SA2 you mention, Advanced Associates?

Sa2 is a continuation of sa1 but with a different teacher so the students are in yr 11 auditioning for vocational schools if they want to. Advanced associates is beyond sa2 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Can anyone help with a question about Senior Associates at Year 10 - do all the MAs go on to SA1 automatically, or is it a fresh sweep and all the places for Seniors are chosen fresh for SA1? My dd is thinking of auditioning (she didn't get an MA place last year, though it appeared there were hardly any to be had) but I just wondered if there is any point even thinking about it, if the MAs do move straight up? I expect if any are leaving for vocational school, most would have done that for year 9 already, so there wouldn't be any extra spaces for Year 10 on that count... Anyone know? Thanks!

2 hours ago, valentina said:

All the MA’s have to re- audition along with everyone else. There is a significant drop in places for SA’s in comparison to MA’s and as there is for MA’s in comparison to JA’s.

Thanks, valentina. So just to clarify, do all the current MAs go along to the same audition session as any dancers who haven't been MAs?

I once had a student who was a JA, did not get MAs but was accepted as an SA! 

And another got accepted as an SA without having been a JA or MA. 

Another, who was an MA, got into WL from the SA audition. 

So it's always worth giving things a go as nothing seems to follow a pattern as far as RBS are concerned. Only if you don't audition at all do you have no chance!! 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, hfbrew said:

I once had a student who was a JA, did not get MAs but was accepted as an SA! 

And another got accepted as an SA without having been a JA or MA. 

Another, who was an MA, got into WL from the SA audition. 

So it's always worth giving things a go as nothing seems to follow a pattern as far as RBS are concerned. Only if you don't audition at all do you have no chance!! 

Yes I think you’re right. If you don’t have a go at auditioning then you’d never know if you’d been successful or not.

There are some former MAs and JAs in DD’s SA class but there are some who were never in the Associate programme before, whether they didn’t audition previously or whether they did but weren’t successful.

There are some former vocational school students in the class who for whatever reason have left their vocational school.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/04/2019 at 19:41, Mummy twinkle toes said:

If you and your Dd have contactless bank cards then any travel is capped at 7.00 a day(each).

As long as you make sure to use the same card all the time.  And I assume you're referring to travel in Zone 1 only?  I'd love mine to be capped at £7!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My dd had a very positive experience of the SA1 auditions in Covent Garden this week - lovely teacher taking the class and a very friendly atmosphere all round. Now just the waiting game again... Good luck to all who auditioned for Associates. 🙂 

• 2 months later...