Fonteyn's Pointe Shoe -is it the real thng?

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Another Yay!! 

Here is Fonteyns autograph on my William Chappell book!! 

I hope you can see the likeness on your shoe Cavycapers.

Phew I might need a gin and tonic already the last hour has been a bit tense with lots of expletives from me! 

Whether I will be able to find these photos in two days time ore member how I've just done this is another story!!

Thank you,  LinMM,  yes send me your bar bill!  😄 Thank you,  yes that looks remarkably like the signature on my pointe shoe 😊   it is is very faded so I will wait for a very bright day when I can photograph it outside.   The fact that it is very faded makes me think it might be genuine,  and also because it is written in green ink.  I don't think a forger would use green ink or be able to get that faded look. It has obviously been danced in,  with wear on the pointe, and the shank/insole? has been well trimmed.  It also smells very musty,  which is a good sign.   The autograph is very faded which is why I think it wasn't very much at the auction,  but I would be more excited to know that I was holding a pointe shoe that Fonteyn actually wore in my hand (and it is a tiny little shoe, size 4 and so narrow!)   I'll have to wait and see if Freed can tell me about the maker.... 

• Like 2