Fonteyn's Pointe Shoe -is it the real thng?

I recently bought,  at East Bristol Auction House,  a pointe shoe, purported to be signed by Margot Fonteyn.   I paid £160.  Here is the description the Auction House provided:

"Margot Fonteyn ( 1919-1991 ) British Ballet Dancer / Ballerina - autographed ballet / pointe shoe. Signed by Fontaine to the toe area in green ink (slightly faded). The shoe itself believed to be one of her own, made by Frederick Freed of England and being a size 4 (as per her preferred brand and size). Provenance unknown, but has come from an estate of some note. A rare and iconic signed ballet shoe."

Obviously, I would love to know if it is the real thing (although my friend said it might be better not to find out,  and to be as pleased with it as if it were!).   However,  curiosity has got the better of me,  and I was wondering if any of you know anything of this shoe?  Do you recognise it?  The signature is in green, now very faded pen.  The shoe had been quite heavily used although no darning on the pointe. Also,  the maker's mark seems to be an N with a 4 above it.   Is this a maker that you know Fonteyn to have used at Freed? 

Any information would be gratefully received.   Thank you. 

I cannot get the photos of the shoe to load as it says the file is too big or something.

1 hour ago, cavycapers said:

I cannot get the photos of the shoe to load as it says the file is too big or something.

Have you tried reducing the size of the photograph.  I found I could do that by emailing it to myself and choosing the small option.

• Like 1

If the autograph is at all readable I have her autograph in a book about her! And I know this is real! 

Though autographs by the same person can even vary quite a lot sometimes! 

Maybe Freeds would know but it is quite a long time ago now and not everyone will still be alive from that era. 

Hoping it is genuine though .....you'd better lock it up in a bank if it is 😀

• Like 2

I’m not sure if this, from Bonham’s website, will be of any help - from the bottom of these shoes it looks as though Z was the Maker:  

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23527/lot/16/?category=results&length=90&page=1

That’s not to say that Fonteyn didn’t change Makers though; when my daughter’s beloved Key Maker left Freed, she (and more than one RB Ballerina) had to change Maker to find one who produced a similar style of shoe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Although if you turn Z the other way it looks like an N.....!!!

Exactly! Freed Maker symbols and letters are always stamped on when the shoe is vertical, so I’d be interested to see which way Cavycapers is looking at the shoe. 

• Like 1

Hah!  Finally managed to upload a photo of the bottom of the shoe.   Definitely an N not a Z then.   Thanks for all your ideas guys.   I shall take another picture of the signature,  which is very faded,  in better light, LinMM. Thank you. 

rsz_1img_20190412_064625 (2).jpg

• Like 3

On 12/04/2019 at 08:26, Jane said:

Have you contacted Freed to ask about maker N and if he was her preferred maker? 

I have written to them to ask if Margot used both the Z maker and the N maker.   Thank you for the suggestion,  I wouldn't have thought of that. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Anna C said:

I’m not sure if this, from Bonham’s website, will be of any help - from the bottom of these shoes it looks as though Z was the Maker:  

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23527/lot/16/?category=results&length=90&page=1

That’s not to say that Fonteyn didn’t change Makers though; when my daughter’s beloved Key Maker left Freed, she (and more than one RB Ballerina) had to change Maker to find one who produced a similar style of shoe.

The maker's mark may well be different,  but the signature on the Bonham shoe looks remarkably like the faint signature on mine!  I'm still struggling to get the right light and angle to photograph my shoe. Much easier to see on the actual thing. . 😞

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 2

On 12/04/2019 at 08:58, LinMM said:

If the autograph is at all readable I have her autograph in a book about her! And I know this is real! 

Though autographs by the same person can even vary quite a lot sometimes! 

Maybe Freeds would know but it is quite a long time ago now and not everyone will still be alive from that era. 

Hoping it is genuine though .....you'd better lock it up in a bank if it is 😀

LinMM,  I would love to see a photo of the autograph from your book sometime,  if it wouldn't be too much trouble,  for further comparison. I would send you a photo of mine to you with the same aim,  but I cannot get it to read well on any photograph. 

My problem is getting any photo I might take of it onto this sight!!

I got it on my favourite book about her as a child ( well 12 upwards) by William Chappell. 

My photos go into the album on my Ipad but you can't upload photos from a private sight onto the Forum.

I will PM you! 

• Like 2

Yes that's definitely her autograph ...I've got one on a ballet programme too ....but it's in a box somewhere up in the loft so might take a few weeks to find that one! 

Sashay did you download this from your own private photos?

12 hours ago, LinMM said:

Sashay did you download this from your own private photos?

The left image is from my original programme with a teacup stain that spoils the value...

the black and white signed photo hangs on the wall at White Lodge, Richmond. Thought I’d compare to show authenticity and slight variations!

• Like 3

If you upload the photo to a host like Flicker and then include the link to that photo in your post you don’t have to get the pic down to a certain file size

Edited by Rob S

It looks a bit complicated for me! I don't want anyone else to generally see any photos I would put there .....and it would only be very few anyway....for Forum purposes etc......eg: I'm soon going to be buying an iPhone so could take curtain call pictures or other related ballet pictures but would still need to know how to upload to the Forum without using a site which seems to want you to show off your photos to all!! 

I can see why others use these sights but apart from transferring photos here I'd have no other use for it I already have Apple storage etc.

25 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It looks a bit complicated for me! I don't want anyone else to generally see any photos I would put there .....and it would only be very few anyway....for Forum purposes etc......eg: I'm soon going to be buying an iPhone so could take curtain call pictures or other related ballet pictures but would still need to know how to upload to the Forum without using a site which seems to want you to show off your photos to all!! 

I can see why others use these sights but apart from transferring photos here I'd have no other use for it I already have Apple storage etc.

Photographs taken on phones are smaller than camera photographs.  They should work on this site.

Well I knew I shouldn't have started this but have just signed into Flickr and uploaded two photos as an experiment 

So I know there are two photos there but then how would I get a photo to this site from Flickr? 

Do I just copy the photo and hope it arrives here? 

Yay!!!

Sorry not the photo of Fonteyns autograph yet I just wanted to see if I could do this! 

Ive finally managed to save a photo there ( the other two disappeared because I don't think I was properly registered!

However early days .....I'm going to see if I can find this photo again back in Flickr and then will take a piccie of the Fonteyn autograph and try and post here.

The above if anyone is ever in Lyme Regis is a lovely  little restaurant at the very top ( high car park end) of the path leading down to the harbour eventually.

Sorry Cavycapers technology is not my strong point!!

• Like 2

Another Yay!! 

Here is Fonteyns autograph on my William Chappell book!! 

I hope you can see the likeness on your shoe Cavycapers.

Phew I might need a gin and tonic already the last hour has been a bit tense with lots of expletives from me! 

Whether I will be able to find these photos in two days time ore member how I've just done this is another story!!

• Like 3