Guessing the future...

One way is to sit tight until about June/July and wait for something to be announced...but even then you may know only up to early January....but where's the fun in that😂

Edited by Rob S

28 minutes ago, thewinelake said:

We'll be wanting to visit ROH with some relatives to see a ballet "sometime next year"...

Is there any way to get a clue of what might be coming up this far ahead?

RBS annual matinee is always a great treat...

• Like 1

The entire Season - September/October to late June/early July is announced, yes.  Often guest companies in late July/August (such as the Bolshoi this summer) are announced at a later date - if they have not been announced already.   These, however, are most often private rentals and not under the ROH specific auspices.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 3 weeks later...

Other Newsletters have also said that the 2019/20 season will be announced on the 14th May. It is usually put up online as it is announced to the Press (but, I suppose anything might happen with the new website!).

This May date is very late compared with previous practice.

I’m afraid the Royal Opera House seems to have adopted ‘never apologise, never explain’ as its motto.  Given the very late announcement of next season compared to previous years and many other arts companies this year, it would seem reasonable to provide some explanation for the delay but I haven’t heard any.  Similarly the 2017-18 annual report is to be published in May, 15 months after the year end.  Again, no apology/explanation.  And (in my opinion) we’ve seen many perfectly legitimate questions posted on the website unanswered, despite numerous further promptings.  

I do wonder why there has been such drift and if management is happy to accept the risk of alienating part of its audience by its failure to engage in debate and respond to criticism - is such a risk even acknowledged in its risk register?  And frustratingly there are so many simple steps that could be taken to help restore good faith such that management complements the excellence we see on stage.

• Like 8

I have heard - I don't know if it's true, but it was on Twitter so I'm not sharing something I was told in confidence - that the Linbury season and the main house season work to different timescales, the Linbury being finalized later, so the announcement now has to wait until both are ready.  Which seems rather a case of the tail wagging the dog.

I received my membership renewal pack yesterday and am going to have to ask them to temporarily delay my auto-renewal as I only ever pick what level to renew at on the basis of the contents of the season press release!

• Like 2

Whilst we await 14 May with baited breath, the ROH website events page referred to  a performance of Evita  on one day in August 2020. Now that information now seems to have been removed. Perhaps put up too early, or in error? Either that, or I am going mad...

Edited by Richard LH

2 minutes ago, RuthE said:

am going to have to ask them to temporarily delay my auto-renewal

Ruth we may have discussed this before but the Terms and Conditions say that later renewals are  back-dated to start on the date the renewal otherwise would have taken effect. 

7 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Ruth we may have discussed this before but the Terms and Conditions say that later renewals are  back-dated to start on the date the renewal otherwise would have taken effect. 

That is true, but it's still better for me if the payment is on my June card statement rather than my May one!

• Like 3

I'm aware of this, but it ultimately makes no difference as I'll still be booking all of next season in one membership period.  I only need to delay it by a couple of weeks, so I can pick my membership level according to the quality of the season.

• Like 2

If the announcement is being delayed in order to unpick Mr Holten's more exciting plans for the forthcoming season I shall not complain about the delay. As I recall before Mr Holten left Covent Garden he promised,or do I mean threatened, that he would plan the opera programme for the next four or five seasons. If some of his plans for 2019-20 are being quietly dropped I, for one, shall be quite happy to wait. If the delay has been caused because Kevin O'Hare needs time to finalise his plans for some carefully constructed programmes to mark the centenary of Fonteyn's birth I should be extremely happy. If the announcement is being delayed for some other reason, such as enabling Pappano to front the event, I would simply ask why ?   

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, FLOSS said:

If the announcement is being delayed in order to unpick Mr Holten's more exciting plans for the forthcoming season I shall not complain about the delay. As I recall before Mr Holten left Covent Garden he promised,or do I mean threatened, that he would plan the opera programme for the next four or five seasons.

In particular I can’t wait to find out whether the four “large scale” operas inspired by the writings of Slavoj Zizek will appear on schedule in 2020.

(I’m not joking, this was announced with some fanfare in 2013: https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-announces-new-work-and-relationships-for-2013-2020.)

29 minutes ago, FLOSS said:

If the delay has been caused because Kevin O'Hare needs time to finalise his plans for some carefully constructed programmes to mark the centenary of Fonteyn's birth I should be extremely happy.   

I have the feeling FLOSS, that what has been put together for this summer IS the programme for Fonteyn.

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I have the feeling FLOSS, that what has been put together for this summer IS the programme for Fonteyn.

I have a feeling that we all realise this to be the case. It feels like a very poor offering, especially when you consider the Berstein tribute last year. I believe that the new season is opening with a full length ballet never danced by Fonteyn. Holding out against hope that there will be a Fonteyn triple in the Autumn, but really doubt it. 

1 minute ago, Bruce Wall said:

Curious to know what this might be? 

It was only a rumour and I am not repeating it here, sorry! 

12 minutes ago, Darlex said:

It was only a rumour and I am not repeating it here, sorry! 

Might then have been best not to mention it at all in that case ... It is, perhaps, tempting fate ... especially in a strand entitled 'Guessing the future'.  

43 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Might then have been best not to mention it at all in that case ... It is, perhaps, tempting fate ... especially in a strand entitled 'Guessing the future'.  

I guess that's why some posts have been hidden. This is anther problem with late announcements: the rumour mill gets going and things begin to leak out.

5 hours ago, FLOSS said:

If the announcement is being delayed for some other reason, such as enabling Pappano to front the event, I would simply ask why ?   

Pappano’s presence isn’t strictly required for the launch as he’ll be on sabbatical next season. 

Well, I'm assuming that Swan Lake is a dead cert - and possibly a similar number of performances to the current run of Romeos? :(  In which case I hope it's interspersed with something else to break things up a bit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MrsBBB said:

Pappano’s presence isn’t strictly required for the launch as he’ll be on sabbatical next season. 

As an opera follower at ROH I actually had had no idea that Pappano wasn’t around next season, though I know that had he not been renewing his contract, next season would have been his last.