Associates on Sundays (and multiple applications)?

dancemum72

Hi all I’m new here so sorry if I’m asking a question already I’ve tried to find answer but couldn’t does anyone know if any of the associate program are Sunday’s ? My daughter (age 12)would like to apply for one but has dance on a Saturday we have looked at Ballet Theatre and Elmhurst but couldn’t see the day they run classes and maybe Cecchetti and Graham Fletcher also should you apply for them all and just see if accepted ? I’m not sure of procedure ! Her ballet teacher seems to think it was good idea but I’ve no idea even if she is good enough but she’d like to try 

Elmhurst is a Saturday and this year at least all the others (bar ballet theatre as I have no students there) run on a Sunday, graham fletcher runs boys classes on a Saturday but otherwise the ordinary classes and Pilates sessions run on a Sunday.

Midlands associates by Peter Parker and Shannon  based in Newark are 2 Sunday's per month. Auditions are in June I think. Chantry school of contemporary and balletic arts in Grantham are on Sundays too.

Edited by smallbythesea

5 hours ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

Ballet boost, chantry, midlands, ballet theatre are all Sundays - BBA and midlands are fortnightly, chantry is monthly if I remember rightly, I don’t know about BTUK. 

Chantry is monthly but there's more than one programme available so they can do contemporary, ballet and they're also starting musical theatre associates.

I am intrigued by this whole proliferation of ‘Associate Schemes’..... associated to what? I get it when they are linked with schools such as RBS & Elmhurst or Ballet Companies but some seem merely to be extension to a general ballet training establishment/teacher. I am not necessarily questioning the standard of training - though would perhaps advice people do research as these do all come with perhaps higher costs attached than regular classes - but there does seem to possibly be a ‘jump on the bandwagon’ thing a little here with ever more ‘Associate’ schemes being set up...are too many dreams being built up? I am all for standards increasing & for talent to be nurtured but also for realism & value for money. Sorry if I sound a little doom & gloom folks but research & avoid ego massages! 

• Like 7

Peanut68, I agree with you. I have seen associate classes advertised at local schools where in reality it is just more ballet lessons. Where we are it would be a long drive to any RBS  or ballet boost associates but as I said to a local parent considering it surely as our children are at a school with very high standards the money could go towards private lessons with the teacher there which would be a lot easier as a parent and at least would be the same "style/technique" as the child is used to. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mrs Brown said:

Peanut68, I agree with you. I have seen associate classes advertised at local schools where in reality it is just more ballet lessons. Where we are it would be a long drive to any RBS  or ballet boost associates but as I said to a local parent considering it surely as our children are at a school with very high standards the money could go towards private lessons with the teacher there which would be a lot easier as a parent and at least would be the same "style/technique" as the child is used to. 

Whilst I agree with the value for money aspect of this, sometimes the point of going to an associates scheme (a good one) is that the child gets to experience a different type of teaching/style/technique. Knowing that different teachers do things in their own way and that they need to adapt their dancing accordingly, makes auditions etc so much less daunting for them as they get older. 

1 hour ago, Farawaydancer said:

Whilst I agree with the value for money aspect of this, sometimes the point of going to an associates scheme (a good one) is that the child gets to experience a different type of teaching/style/technique. Knowing that different teachers do things in their own way and that they need to adapt their dancing accordingly, makes auditions etc so much less daunting for them as they get older. 

yes that is very true - mind in our school we have 2 teachers who teach the same syllabus but in very very different ways. the children quickly become experts in doing it the way of the teacher who is in the room at the time and changing when necessary!