Accepted into Dance School at 25! Having reservations!

NHenry93

Hi guys, so this is my first post!

So as the title already somewhat reveals, I auditioned for Northern Ballet School last month and got accepted! Initially I was very proud of myself. I had done some street and hip hop dance as a teen, but did not start ballet and jazz until I was around 22/23, and had only just passed my Grade 5 IDTA ballet exam in December 2018.Considering the fact that I had been taking predominantly open adult classes, to have got to the point that have is, when you really think about it, quite a commendable feat....

But now I guess I’m coming down from the high of actually getting a place and beginning to grapple with the reality of the prospect of going. Firstly I am rather self conscious if you like about my age: essentially I feel too old! I was told by the principal in my interview that it’s not uncommon for boys to start late, but still, whilst my peers are out in the working world, I will be in dance school with 16-20 year olds! Assuming i’ll be able to afford to stay all 3 years, I’ll be 29 when I complete training! 

And on the subject of affording the 3 years, there’s still the small matter of finding the funds to even start the 1st year! As I’ve already completed higher education, student finance is not an option so I’ll really need to get creative and get the funds together the best I can. I personally believe that nothing is impossible, but I guess it’s the fear and the current uncertainty as to how this will workout financially.

So yeah, I don’t know exactly what I’m asking for here, or if I’m asking for anything in particular! Maybe some encouragement and reassurance...anything that can reassure me that I’m not doing something totally crazy! 

• Like 3

Congratulations. Lovely to hear of  pure talent overriding all the usual regulations ( age, height etc). And what an amazing opportunity and very exciting.

I guess that one of your main challenges will be the social stuff, friends ect. Will you be far away from home? Can you keep a social life going from your previous life until you establish something at Northern? I would definitely be focusing on all the stuff you have in common with your peers rather than the age gap which will soon become irrelevant once you get going with the training. Also plenty people doing university degrees until into their 30’s so don’t worry about that.

Relish any opportunity that comes your way because in the dance world they are relatively hard to come by. Good Luck!

Congratulations ......... fantastic achievement !!!😁👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

I personally believe many of us end up following paths in life that we don’t ‘really’ want to - I know I have !! There’s nothing wrong with that and something to be said for choosing the safe, sensible options in life.

Personally - if I could live my life again ...... I would follow my dreams and if it didn’t work out ..... then re-evaluate things then. You only live once , it’s not a rehearsal and if your gut feeling is to give this a try - then go for it !!! 

You’re obviously very  talented for them to offer you a place . so congratulations again & good luck with it all !!

• Like 4

This is a wonderful post and many congratulations to you. One of the advantages of being 25 is that you’ve lived a little and have considered all implications as an adult, so you are properly ready for this and your eyes are wide open!! And you must be super talented. Go for it!! And keep us posted how you get on.

• Like 1

I can understand your reservations - especially the financial side of things. But one thing I would say is that NBS would not have offered you a place if you didnt deserve it. There will have been a lot of applicants for that place and you got it on merit. You have every right to be very proud of yourself and to take your place in the class.

I would try to think forwards.....when you are say 40, this boat will have well and truly sailed. How much would you regret not having tried?

You say you have already completed higher education and i am assuming (forgive me if im wrong) that you are currently working. So unlike your younger classmates it is likely you already have your "plan B" established. Lots of young people (and you ARE still young remember!) take a bit of time out of a career path to travel etc. If you step off your current career path you may well be able to step back on it if the dancing doesnt work out. But at least you will have tried, and you will know. You wont be sitting at your desk in 15 years saying "I wonder if...."

• Like 4

Wow! Fantastic to hear your news. Congratulations! If you don’t try, will you look back and wish you had? If you answer that honestly, your decision will be made. 

Good luck. 😺

Can I just say wow!!! To have been accepted for something like this despite starting so late is really admirable. As for the social stuff, I am a 25 year old who dances with pre-professional 14-18 year olds (6 days a week last year). It can be awkward at first because you're getting to know them and they might find you a bit weird. I hid my age when I first started because the kids were all 12 and I felt like a total creep! They thought I was 15 until they saw me drive to class, and they still occasionally give me weird looks when I make certain comments, especially about movies and tv shows that are like, totes old omg. But now they know me and they're a little older, it's honestly fine. We have stuff in common, because we spend so much time together and we know so many of the same people, and we all love ballet! They see me as an older sister and come to me when they're having problems or need help sewing or want advice about life after high school. Plus being old enough to drive them to mcdonalds during rehearsals has been a big hit... You're actually fortunate because you're going into a program with mostly 16-20 years olds which really isn't that much younger than you. You are there for a common purpose with common goals, and with people who are often learning to be independent for the first time. I believe you'll end up having far more in common than you might think now and you'll end up having genuine friendships. Personality matters more than age for that, just give it some time and you'll find your people. When I started my first job I was 17 and my best friend was 33 with a 12 year old kid. We were in totally different places in our lives but we just clicked and we're still friends 9 years later (and now I'm friends with the kid, too). I think, don't make your age a thing. It's honestly such a small part of who you are. Don't try to hide it, like I did, just embrace it and within a couple of months you'll stop being 'the old dude' and just be 'oh yeah our mate NHenry'. Although I would remember to make time for people your own age because sometimes the teenage drama just makes you roll your eyes. I can't give you any advice about the finances or future career prospects or anything, but if you're concerned about being 'old' in a room full of kids, I can tell you that by the end of the first year it won't matter at all.

Edited by Viv
  • Like 4

Well done for being accepted on this course. You obviously want more of the Dance experience to have applied to do it. So why not see where it takes you and really hope you can find the finance to do it. 

23 hours ago, Tulip said:

You could actually do a years full time training and then start auditioning for professional jobs, you never know unless you try?

Congratulations NHenry. Hope you find the finance. My son is hoping to do what Tulip suggests - if he can get onto the Trinity Laban graduate diploma course (see thread here. He will be 21 but I think this course takes people with a mixture of backgrounds and ages. Good luck with your dance training and finding the funds.

On 07/04/2019 at 14:18, Tulip said:

You could actually do a years full time training and then start auditioning for professional jobs, you never know unless you try?

You know, this exactly what I was thinking to do....I’m not really overly concerned about the actual degree itself, I just want the training. The thing is, the quality of the adult classes in Birmingham (besides the three I already do) is just not at the standard I would need to actually take my dancing seriously. I think it’s fairly well known any way that a lot of teachers are not as diligent when teaching adult classes because the logic often is, ‘there’s no point if they’re not going to be professionals’. I did consider moving to London and just getting a membership at Pineapple or somewhere like that but then when I thought about the cost of living in London, I may as well spend that money on full time training!

• Like 1

Yes agreed that it's a fantastic opportunity and a great achievement.   I believe that even if you can't afford three years of training even one or two years will make a huge difference.  I had a student who managed to pay for two years training and instead of the third year he got an apprenticeship with a pro company.  Talent will out!

• Like 2