The Winter's Tale at Bolshoi

Bolshoi showed The Winter’s Tale last night with this cast:
https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/7058/roles/#20190404190000

From Christopher Wheeldon’s Instagram:

"Bolshoi theatre thank you for a Winter's Tale ballet premiere so full of drama both onstage and off. Dancers you were spectacular even in the face of bringing the curtain to a close part way through Act Two because of injury to the wonderful Vladislav Lantratov, who ruptured his Achilles’ tendon. We wish you fast recovery Vlad and much love. 

To the rescue came David Motta Soares who ran from his apartment to dance with beautiful Maria Vinogradova who had already danced a third of the act. In the spirit of the show must go on, we began Act Two again and the company soared. 

Theater can be both devastating and beautiful on nights like these, and it proves how powerful and vulnerable ballet dancers are in both body and in spirit. Bolshoi Ballet you worked so hard and you stole our hearts. A thousand thank you’s for your inspiration and your lessons. I leave Russia a richer artist thanks to all you have taught me. Olga Smirnova and Denis Savin you are masters of your art. ❤️❤️"

• Like 5

I echo Janet's concern.  With a recovery time of six months - at best - for such an injury I have a distinct feeling that - VERY sadly - Mr. Lantratov will be out of the Bolshoi's London 2019 sojourn.  That will be a distinct loss for us all - especially in such works as Spartacus, Bright Stream and Don Quixote. 

It is strange - a ruptured Achilles tendon is exactly the injury that Mr. Lantratov's private partner - the dancer Maria Alexandrova - suffered onstage with the Bolshoi in London during La Bayadere in 2013.  I will always remember the spotlight for her first variation in the engagement sequence in that performance playing to empty space as the band itself played on.  It was searingly like The Red Shoes was somehow brought to life - only the pointe shoes themselves here were invisible.   So impactful had Ms. Alexandrova's performance as Gamzatti been up to that point aside Mr. Chudin's Solor we could easily imagine it.  Now, I assume, both Ms. Alexandrova (currently injured - and thus the reason she did not appear in last Sunday's Russian Icons Gala) and Mr. Lantratov will be in casts - and certainly will not be appearing as special guests in that session for the Russian Ballet School shortly upcoming.  Most unfortunate.  I'm sure the Bolshoi will send two equally fine artists to replace them.  

Please get well soon, Vladislav - and may it be a FULL recovery.  You are a fine artist and have so much more to give. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Please get well soon, Vladislav - and may it be a FULL recovery.  You are a fine artist and have so much more to give. .  

Hear hear.

And they were supposed to be performing at Cadogan Hall at the end of this month :( 

Lantratov has confirmed he will be out til the end of the season (including London) on his IG account.  (This is but the end of the entry - and translated with an on-line translator):

Unfortunately out of action until the end of the season. But I will return, I promise ещё, and we will still light ж
Thanks to everyone who writes, calls, experiences and supports! I feel everything, everything helps! I love everyone!
Your Vlad
  • Like 1

...and the statue of the dead boy prince is, as I certainly expected the first time I saw the ballet, the actual boy prince, as Hermione's "statue" is actual Hermione. That white thing with its creepy staring open eyes...ugh! 😉

• Like 1