ENO 2019/20

Lizbie1

The highlight for me will be the new Rusalka - primarily because I know loads of people in it, which should perk up my social life next Spring.  But I have known about it for a long time.

I wonder if the four-opera Orpheus season will prove a little tiresome by the end? But having said that, I have never seen a professional production of the Offenbach.  Wonder if I can bring myself to brave the Philip Glass.

Natalya Romaniw in Butterfly, and Elizabeth Llewellyn in Luisa Miller are also mouthwatering prospects for me.

Call me conservative but with a limited budget I’ll be skipping the Birtwistle and Glass (I find his operas stupefyingly dull) in favour of the Gluck and Offenbach. I wonder whether they considered the Monteverdi?

Other than that, I’ll almost certainly be at Luisa Miller and possibly the Rusalka.

I'll look forward to the Birtwistle, actually.  I THINK I've seen it before, in a concert at the Royal Festival Hall.  I have seen the Glass before when the ROH did it in the Linbury with a Young Artists cast about 15 years ago, and I remember not hating it... also I know somebody in it so I probably SHOULD go.

I've seen two productions of the Monteverdi at ENO since I started attending in the mid-90s.  They haven't done the Gluck since 2001 (the date is emblazoned on my memory as I had a ticket for opening night on September 11th and I remember realizing beforehand that I needed to call my mother and check that she had heard from my uncle!)

For Orpheus in the Underworld, the choreographer is given as Ella Murfitt. Do they in fact mean Etta Murfitt (as in Matthew Bourne's New Adventures) ?  I noted the designer was Les Brotherston, so it seemed likely.   I can't seem to find an Ella Murfitt choreographer......