ROH public booking, summer season 2019

I did not released the triple bill first night will be so popular! 

I guess maybe some celebrating event was scheduled after the show. So the supporters all booked the ticket. 

I did see quite a few tickets left on that date when I booked as a young friend ( I chose Hallberg on June 5 anyway)

So.... I booked a 8 pounds standing ticket for that night from Amphi... I have not tried that view before and seems very interesting to me. 

Edited by HelenLoveAppleJuice

1 hour ago, Saodan said:

Is there a particular reason why this mixed bill has proved so popular? 

Several reasons I think. Few performances, interesting casts, three ballets which are known and loved by a great many people and a reasonable price. Triple bills much to my taste, apart from the often long intervals needed to accommodate different sets.

• Like 4

ROH seem to have a knack of putting very few dates on for Ashton triple bills. It's almost criminal. I got one loose seat for the matinee thus avoiding an overnight stay but my train is likely over £70 as well. I didn't really want the Osipova Hallberg for Month as I'm not keen on them but I'll have to grin and bear it. So sad there were not more performances put on as it's surely a lot of effort to stage just a measly 6 shows.

As for the new website it's dire! Duly awarded it 0/10 on the survey although I was done and dusted by 9:06am. 

• Like 7

I got in immediately at 9am but then none of the pages had anything bookable on them, just the background info, so I had to spend about 10 minutes refreshing before I was able to book for anything. I too was disappointed at the lack of anything below amphi level for 4th June. I ended up going for 12th & 14th so I can see both Firebird casts I want to see, although that does mean I get Cuthebertson/Muntagirov in Month in the Country cast twice & I had hoped to see Nunez/Bracewell too. There was nothing left in the side stalls circle for those dates either, by the time I could see them, so I've had to go for the £68 seats in the stalls. I also impulse-bought a ticket for the Bolshoi's Bright Stream, which had a single £48 side stalls circle seat left on 8th August. I didn't even bother looking at the Fonteyn gala as I assumed, correctly I gather, that it'd sell out instantly. Opera-wise I only wanted Nozze & got side stalls circle for that alright. Now to spend the next 3 months continuing to pray that the countertenor Cherubino thinks better of it - no luck so far!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I also impulse-bought a ticket for the Bolshoi,s Bright Stream, which had a single £48 side stalls circle seat left on 8th August.

I love The Bright Stream - its pure unlikely joy IMO. You could have made a much less wise impulse buy.

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Now to spend the next 3 months continuing to pray that the countertenor Cherubino thinks better of it - no luck so far!

I'm with you there, though he did give a very charming interview in the Friends magazine, where he said he'd be eternally happy with "viable" as a response.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I love The Bright Stream - its pure unlikely joy IMO. You could have made a much less wise impulse buy.

I'm with you there, though he did give a very charming interview in the Friends magazine, where he said he'd be eternally happy with "viable" as a response.

I know nothing about The Bright Stream but the ROH website says it's a comedy so it seemed a better bet for my tastes than Spartacus.

I have nothing against him as a person/singer, I've never heard him before, I just don't fancy the idea of a countertenor Cherubino full stop. I generally prefer mezzos to countertenors in baroque opera too. I'm only going because I've wanted to see Keenlyside as the Count for over a decade, after seeing a video of him in the role in Vienna, & he dropped out when he was supposed to do it a few years ago so, given he's now 60(!) this might be the last opportunity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

I have nothing against him as a person/singer, I've never heard him before, I just don't fancy the idea of a countertenor Cherubino full stop. I generally prefer mezzos to countertenors in baroque opera too.

Me too on both counts: the Cherubino part on principle and the baroque opera part because a) on the whole (though not always) mezzos are better singers than the countertenors I've seen cast and b) I find the authenticity argument for casting countertenors pretty spurious. IMO if casting in that range were based purely on merit - as I believe it should be - there'd be quite a few underemployed countertenors.

There are of course some excep to this.

Can't believe Keenlyside is nearly 60!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Me too on both counts: the Cherubino part on principle and the baroque opera part because a) on the whole (though not always) mezzos are better singers than the countertenors I've seen cast and b) I find the authenticity argument for casting countertenors pretty spurious. IMO if casting in that range were based purely on merit - as I believe it should be - there'd be quite a few underemployed countertenors.

There are of course some excep to this.

Can't believe Keenlyside is nearly 60!

There are a few countertenors I like but it took me quite some time to get used to the voice type (whereas lyric mezzo is my joint-favourite voice type) & generally I find their power & range to not be a good as mezzos.

I know! The first time I saw ENO was with him in the title role of Billy Budd in 2005.

Just checked now and there are 29 stalls circle seats left for all of the Firebird triple 6 performances and little availability in low amphi. However the 7 performances of the Flight pattern triple which have been open for booking for several months have 70 SC tickets for one performance alone; 14th May, and quite a few available for other performances and this when tickets are cheaper than Firebird triple. Why more performances of this than the Firebird triple when it is obvious which is going to be more popular? Just the opening night seems sold out everywhere except amphi and there are still 100+ tickets available here. Looks as if the students may be benefitting again unless sales pick up. I hope this doesn't lead to more price rises next season for more popular ballets. It seems wrong genuine ballet lovers who want to see different casts should be literally made to pay for poor performance planning. I can appreciate the need for modern ballets even though I probably won't see them myself but why have so many performances when management must know they don't sell well?

• Like 6

22 hours ago, RHowarth said:

Public booking a nightmare! I had to try each page several times before the 'book now' button would load. For the mixed bill it never did until I went in date by date by the cast info links down the right hand side. Needless to say I couldn't get a ticket for the gala although it kept telling me there were still 2 available in the amphi. 

I thought it was me when I could not access the "book now" button!!!!  By the time I managed to access (not sure how), RBS matinee was virtually sold out.  Understand that family and friends should get priority for this but wish ROH would leave a proportion of seats for us balletomanes who are keen to see the "stars" of the future.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, fashionista said:

RBS matinee was virtually sold out.  Understand that family and friends should get priority for this but wish ROH would leave a proportion of seats for us balletomanes who are keen to see the "stars" of the future.  

It's difficult one this, but the RBS has Friends, Sponsors, a Legacy Group etc. most of whom are balletomanes and would feel quite miffed if, having given various forms of support, they were denied the opportunity to attend "the big show".

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, capybara said:

It's difficult one this, but the RBS has Friends, Sponsors, a Legacy Group etc. most of whom are balletomanes and would feel quite miffed if, having given various forms of support, they were denied the opportunity to attend "the big show".

Plus the RBS matinée is not an ROH show (in the same way as the Bolshoi) so the ROH has no control over the process for advance booking etc.

• Like 6

By the way, I popped in at about 09:15 yesterday to look at availability for something else, and found that there were quite a lot of RBS tickets at that stage. Mostly amphitheatre, but also a handful of Balcony seats and one (bad) SCS.  I didn't book anything, but there was a far greater choice than when I went in at 9am on the dot last year to book one.

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Yes, understand where you are coming from )))

I hope this doesn't seem to be a daft question ( which means it probably is) but when you are booking for performances and it says "Select an area" how do you find if there are any stalls circle standing tickets available? I've only ever managed to buy one via the Forum have never yet bought direct from the theatre from online booking.

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

I hope this doesn't seem to be a daft question ( which means it probably is) but when you are booking for performances and it says "Select an area" how do you find if there are any stalls circle standing tickets available? I've only ever managed to buy one via the Forum have never yet bought direct from the theatre from online booking.

They appear as spots behind row c of the stalls circle in green usuallly. You then just click on them as you would buying a seat

• Like 1

Thankyou zxDaveM .....and how many years have I been booking online .....about five! 

Perhaps they are usually all gone by the time I book!!

Also just managed to get a ticket for one of the Fonteyn Insight Eves which were sold out on Wednesday so feeling very happy....Thankyou to,the poster who mentioned they were available again as otherwise I wouldn't have looked!

Edited by LinMM

• 3 weeks later...