ROH public booking, summer season 2019

Public booking a nightmare! I had to try each page several times before the 'book now' button would load. For the mixed bill it never did until I went in date by date by the cast info links down the right hand side. Needless to say I couldn't get a ticket for the gala although it kept telling me there were still 2 available in the amphi. 

Well.....I got straight in to the action at 9am to find the triple bill VERY heavily booked, even the amphitheatre.....I've got my two dates I wanted but to hell with my aisle seats I'm lucky to even get a Stalls Circle of any discription!!

• alison changed the title to ROH public booking, summer season 2019
17 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Needless to say I couldn't get a ticket for the gala although it kept telling me there were still 2 available in the amphi. 

Those were lower slips standing, right by the stage.

The site put me into the queue twice, so although I did get in straightaway (no Fonteyn insights available) I was able to see from my "other" entry that the queue was actually paused due to overdemand - I've never seen that before.  I don't know why, but when you got onto the booking pages there were no "BUY" buttons unless you refreshed several times, which probably cost me, and nothing at all, as RHowarth says, for the Firebird mixed bill.  I had to go in via the latest casting dates just to be able to buy at all (thanks, Yumiko, for pointing that out yesterday, otherwise I'd have been really stuck!).  First night, nothing at all below mid-amphi level.

• Like 1

What a joke.  No seats suitable for my access requirements on opening night.  Zero.  At 09.01, Stalls and DG were already showing as sold out.  One seat available in Stalls Circle, 4 in the balcony and loads in the Amphi which I can’t manage.  

Then we had ten minutes of no dates showing on the production page and eventually managed to get two tickets for Weds 12th.  I may have said a couple of rude words. 

35 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Looks like the Friends have been at it again.  Has the 20% of tickets kept for General Booking protocol now been abandoned?

On 4th June it looks as if the whole 20% is in the Amphi. 🙁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, penelopesimpson said:

You are right, Anna, which rules me out.  They spend all this money on coffee shops and carpets and then .....

I think everyone on this board is very clear as to your opinion on the open up project, so please don't make this thread about that too.

Huh? 

I have made a legitimate comment about about an organisation that receives public subsidy (and yes, that includes me), to bring opera and ballet to our capital city.  For the second time this year, there are no tickets available at General Booking for a particular production.  Personally, I find this worrying and invites comparison of how money is spent.  This is hardly hijacking a thread.  

• Like 3

I had a pretty okay booking experience, got the tickets (balcony) I wanted for the triple bill on 5th June, have not seen The Firebird or A Month In The Country before so that's exciting, and the ticket prices were within my budget

Edited by WoodlandGladeFairy
  • Like 4

Just now, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

I had a pretty okay booking experience, got the tickets (balcony) I wanted for the triple bill on 5th June, have not seen The Firebird or A Month In The Country before so that's exciting, and the ticket prices within my budget

Very pleased to hear this.  I hope you enjoy these ballets as I think they are both terrific.

• Like 3

At 09.10 this morning I too found the queue paused but not for long; I was in in about 3 minutes. Finding affordable tickets was another matter. Like some previous posters I prefer side stalls circle as my eyesight isn't as good for amphi as it used to be. I have arranged a house swap specifically for the second week of the triple bill so I could see Vadim in both roles (please keep him injury free!!). Wed 12th June was the main date I wanted decent tickets, to see Naghdi's Firebird as well as Vadim in Month in the Country. I think I got possibly the last 2 £68 tickets together which was considerably more than I wanted to pay but at least I'm not paying for accommodation. Thursday I went for amphi anyway and Friday 2 more stalls circle tickets that were close together and one slightly cheaper than the other though still more than I wanted to pay. I've never seen a triple so sold out at the start of public booking. Regarding the actual booking logistics I had the Seasons calendar saved as a favourite so used this and avoided the new 'booking experience' altogether. I didn't realise until half way through that I could select 2 (or more) seats together for the same performance and not add them to basket until I'd finish making my selection. That did save time in coming out of booking and going back in again. Also, is it my computer or has it got slower after you click on 'Buy'? It seems to egg-time for quite a while before it gets to the area select option, not just today but any day. On my computer it does this both on the new buy ticket option or the old seasons buying option. Had to wait a while (about 40 minutes) for the confirmation email. Tried the Fonteyn gala but sold out. I do think it is disgraceful that our prima ballerina assoluta has been treated so badly; hardly a celebration of her life and achievements when the programme still doesn't seem to be announced and genuine enthusiasts can't get tickets. But silly me, of course we're not really wanted anyway.

• Like 4

As I said in my earlier post, I am bitterly disappointed. I only wanted one measly ticket. I will keep looking on the forum in the hope that one of you lovely ballet fans can sell me a cheap ticket!

• Like 1

Currently one ticket in the stalls for the Fonteyn. But I suspect these vanish quickly

There do seem to be tickets at all levels currently for the mixed bill on 13th and 14th, with better availability on the 7th. 

Edited by Lynette H

2 hours ago, SusanR said:

So disappointed! Got in fairly quickly but no tickets left ( in my price range) in the stalls circle. As there is only one matinee I am bitterly disappointed.

1 hour ago, SusanR said:

As I said in my earlier post, I am bitterly disappointed. I only wanted one measly ticket. I will keep looking on the forum in the hope that one of you lovely ballet fans can sell me a cheap ticket!

SusanR if you mean the Firebird mixed bill for the matinee https://www.roh.org.uk/events/38774/tickets,  whilst there is currently nothing below £68 in the stalls circle there are cheaper tickets available in the balcony or amphi.  Hopefully you might find a compromise that suits.  Symphony in C, let alone the other two on the bill,  should not be missed !

Edited by Richard LH

Thank you, Richard. As you say, these ballets are not to be missed! Unfortunately I don't like heights so I only ever book for the stalls circle. I will bide my time & hope a ticket will become available nearer the time. I have been lucky in the past.

3 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Yup, here we go again.  09.08 and no tickets at all for first night of Triple Bill, other than Ampitheatre.

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

What a joke.  No seats suitable for my access requirements on opening night.  Zero.  At 09.01, Stalls and DG were already showing as sold out.  One seat available in Stalls Circle, 4 in the balcony and loads in the Amphi which I can’t manage.  

Then we had ten minutes of no dates showing on the production page and eventually managed to get two tickets for Weds 12th.  I may have said a couple of rude words. 

It won't be any comfort of course, but for whatever reason, the first night of the  triple bill, in particular,  was pretty well booked up even a month ago when Friends booking opened. 

• Like 2

Have just got a Balcony seat for June 12th the date I wanted for this triple and had no problems at all booking ...however at this point was only after the one ticket ....well also the RBS performance in July but that was sold out for me as I expected .......I can't sit any further back than row H in the Amphi ....just too much Vertigo otherwise. 

I think it would be more frustrating if trying to book things in lots of different areas of the theatre as so,much more time consuming but as it happened was very quick for me today.

1 minute ago, cackles said:

At 9am there were no tickets available for the insight celebrating Fonteyn. Now over 3 hours later there are tickets available and I've just grabbed one!

That does seem to happen sometimes when bookings first open, for some reason. But those particular ones are  now  all gone again! 

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

This is precisely why the Access list needs to get priority over public booking (and the 20% hold-back needs to apply to downstairs as well): if there are only a limited set of seats you can use for whatever reason, you don't need to be battling with those who don't have any access restrictions whatsoever :( 

And Penelope, I think this booking pattern is reflected in most mixed bills - people decide to pay a similar price to full-lengths rather than sit in similar seats at a lower price, which then puts stress on the seats lower down.  (I just go "Thank goodness, I can afford to sit down for once!")

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Sorry, which production is that?  

Month in the Country/Firebird.  And yes, I know there were some Ampi but I can't manage to get up there being one of those decrepit elderly people that ROH doesn't want cluttering up their fine new building.

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

It won't be any comfort of course, but for whatever reason, the first night of the  triple bill, in particular,  was pretty well booked up even a month ago when Friends booking opened. 

That's fine, and I am pleased that it books so well.  BUT 20%, spread across all areas should surely be held back for General Booking.  And we are back to that old chestnut of not allowing people to buy limitless numbers of tickets.  I wanted one seat, for goodness sake.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Very pleased to hear this.  I hope you enjoy these ballets as I think they are both terrific.

Sad not to be going on 4th but as I haven’t seen any of the three ballets, I’m very much looking to seeing them on 12th.

• Like 1

Is there a particular reason why this mixed bill has proved so popular? This is the first time in my 4 seasons that I have been unable to get the seat I want for date I want at student booking (admittedly I was a little later than normal yesterday, but ordinarily this wouldn't have been a problem). I ended up saddled(!) with an Osipova/Hallberg date, which is particularly odd as her dates normally go first. (I'm not really that disappointed!)

I didn't realise that these three ballets are so popular and/or so rarely performed that tickets would go so fast. Maybe some feel so starved of 'serious' ballet this year that they are taking the opportunity to fill their boots. 

• Like 1

Any of them individually will usually sell well.  (And yes, it's "proper" ballet :))  I'm surprised only 6 performances were scheduled (when you think that some rather less enticing-looking mixed bills have up to 8)

• Like 9