Russian Ballet Icons Gala, London - 31 March 2019

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:27, Mary said:

I saw somewhere- was it while I was at the Bolshoi live screening? that this is going to be live screened- or was it wishful thinking?

It was advertised on the casting sheet I picked up - no idea if there was any more to it than that.  (Sorry, only just registered that comment)

5 minutes ago, alison said:

He was dancing? :( 

He partnered Sarah Lamb, replacing McRae. I wasn't there myself but my mother went & said they were excellent. I think the piece was something modern that had been choreographed on Watson but I didn't take in the details as my mother got home about half past midnight & I wasn't properly awake!

It was a pdd from Wayne McGregor’s Qualia - and very fine Watson looked, too.

It occurred to me, watching it, how much better Watson makes McGregor look than anyone else: for starters the “crotch splitting” extensions he manipulates his partner into no longer look borderline abusive to me as they do in lesser hands.

I also had the melancholy thought that this might be one of the last times I see him dance.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 2

Oh, yes, the Qualia pdd was choreographed on him.  Just pleased to know he's back on stage!  (Anyone know if that was originally what Lamb & McRae were going to dance, or if it was only changed when Watson stepped in?)

This was the list in the publicity hype which encouraged me to spend an arm and a leg on a generally disappointing evening.

The programme will be performed by Maria Alexandrova (Bolshoi Theatre), Elisa Carrillo Cabrera (Staatsballett Berlin), Jeffrey Cirio (English National Ballet), Mikhail Kaniskin (Staatsballett Berlin), Kimin Kim (Mariinsky Theatre), Maria Kochetkova, Liudmila Konovalova (Vienna State Ballet), Misa Kuranaga (Boston Ballet), Lucía Lacarra (Bayerisches Staatsballett), Sarah Lamb (Royal Ballet), Vladislav Lantratov (Bolshoi Theatre), Julian MacKay (Mikhailovsky Theatre), Steven McRae (Royal Ballet), Yasmine Naghdi (Royal Ballet), Artem Ovcharenko (Bolshoi Theatre), Xander Parish (Mariinsky Theatre), Giuseppe Picone (Teatro di San Carlo), Polina Semionova (Staatsballett Berlin), Daniil Simkin (Staatsballett Berlin), Anastasia Stashkevich (Bolshoi Theatre), James Stout (Dutch National Ballet), Viktoria Tereshkina (Mariinsky Theatre), Anna Tsygankova (Dutch National Ballet), Anna Tikhomirova (Bolshoi Theatre), Josué Ullate (Víctor Ullate Ballet) and Ivan Vasiliev (Mikhailovsky Theatre) among others.

From the above starry roster, the following did not appear:

Alexandrova (injured)

Kim

McRae (injured) - replaced by Watson 

Ovcharenko - replaced by Caley

Parish

Stashkevich

Tereshkina

Tikhomirova

Yasmine Naghdi and Marcelino Sambe shone in the Don Quixote pas de deux.

• Like 1

A few thoughts from me:

1. Krysanova’s turquoise Raymonda tutu was gorgeous 

2. Bravo to whoever was in charge of the pause button for Bernal’s number

3. It’s perhaps just me but there seemed to be a preponderance of interchangeable pas de deux by interchangeable contemporary European choreographers to interchangeable music. Whatever you think of McGregor (in my case: not a lot) but last night highlighted that his is at least a distinctive and instantly recognisable voice.

• Like 4

It is my first comment on this forum. I don't want to be picky but I have to say that I am very disappointed by this gala.

I was there last night at dress circle. 7th row. Good view enough. 

First as the previous comment pointed out, many of the advertised dancers did not show up. I appreciate all the dancers on stage last night and I don't think that some dancers are "much superior" than the others. But, if you advertised some big names, "icons" in this gala, then you should give some sort of explanation... or at least make an announcement on your facebook account https://www.facebook.com/Russian-Ballet-Icons-Gala-160784144021767/ or make some adjustment on your ticket selling page of "cast" https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/russian-ballet-icons-gala-2019-with-the-participation-of-russian-and-international-ballet-stars/#prod-cast.

As of now, that cast page still put Maria Alexandrova at top and Alina Somova as well.

They made an announcement in January on their FB page saying "The Russian Ballet Icons Gala is delighted to welcome the famed Mariinsky Theatre Prima Ballerina Alina Somova at the Gala on 31 March 2019 at the London Coliseum." So I really wonder what happened.

(Maybe I missed something) but yesterday the only Bolshoi dancer is Ekaterina Krysanova  All their advertised Bolshoi "icon"s did not show up. 

Maria Alexandrova
Kristina Kretova
Vladislav Lantratov
Artem Ovcharenko
Maria Vinogradova
Anna Tikhomirova

And neither of their advertised Mariinsky icons showed up.

Alina Somova
Konstantin Zverev

I fully understand that injury and travel plan may affect. But everyone? Does it worth an announcement?

Honestly it is called "Russian icon gala". Yes Daniil Simkin from ABT and Julian MacKay from Mikhailovsky really shone but isn't not that "Russian" enough...? Royal ballet two pairs of dancers really shone. But why should I, a Royal Ballet frequenter paid more to see them (dancing a shorter program) than I can regularly do at RoH? The black swan PDD, Don Q PDD are both danced by non-Russian and not related to Russian background dancer in American/English style. OK the original is Russian...

It is like you invite me to a French restaurant and tell me how excellent the fish&chips here is... No matter how excellent it is, it is not the reason I come. Not the reason that I paid >100 pounds and modified my travel schedule for. The tickets are not refundable. You won't lose anything to let us know the truth. 

Totally disappointment

PS

I can see that many audience are focusing on "spend a interesting night" and did not really care what it is on stage. I saw a Russian girl frequently pop out her huge phone and just checked the messages. I confronted her before 2nd half and her response was "I only light it up when lighting was brighten and... " No dear, I can even tell what app you installed even I sat several rows behind you.

Edited by HelenLoveAppleJuice
  • Like 4

Agree with Capybara that Naghdi/Sambe in Acosta's DQ PDD were a highlight - as were Lamb/Watson in Qualia.  (Lovely to see the McGregor again ... first time without Benjamin for me.)  I would add Kuranaga/Cirio (his old Boston Ballet coupling) for a stunningly svelte BS PDD - Her variation - as indeed his - was pure textbook ... and sadly put the Russians (e.g., Russian born - or associated with a Russian Company - e.g., MacKay) to shame.  Indeed I again agree with Capybara that it was - especially for a programme labelled as being a Russian Icons gala - certainly underwhelming.  It had a much more Spanish overtone somehow.  NONE of the Russians (as identified above) were shown in a particularly flattering light I thought ... although all kudos to Caley for stepping into the Raymonda bit .... He did yeoman work ... especially as (IMHO) he was not really given particularly generous support by his ballerina - as lovely has her tutu indeed was.  Gratifying too to see Tsygankova (DNB) back on a UK stage - here with an able fellow Company partner in James Stout - but found Dawson's choreography sadly wanting in its obviously desired dramatic effect.  Laccara looks stunning - and AS EVER seems a fountain of eternal youth.  (Whatever her secret is she should bottle it.  She'd be a billionaire.)  Certainly she has fine taste in male partners be it her husband - who has participated in several of these galas with her - or, as here, the disarming Josue Ullate.  The mis-sold evening was an overall disappointment - with lacklustre planning - and the curtain call was an utter embarrassment as was expressed on some performer countenances - Vasiliev certainly included.  Politely Naghdi stood there beaming.  One feels nothing gets in her way.  (As far as I'm concerned nothing should.) The ENB Phil did themselves proud - as ever.  Certainly they stood out.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

While I do not know about Nagdhi or Sambé, I do, of course, know about Kuranaga and Cirio. While neither dance for a Russian company, both have been influenced by the Russian style. Kuranaga was chosen by Yuri Grigorovich to compete at the Moscow International Ballet Competition at the age of 10. Cirio, although trained at American companies, took private lessons with Rafael Grigorian who trained under Pushkin. Both Kuranaga and Cirio (like many of the Boston dancers) were coached at Boston Ballet by Larissa Ponomarenko, long-time principal and now ballet mistress. And, obviously, Cirio has worked with both Ratmansky and Kopalkova at ABT. One does not have to dance for a Russian company to have Russian influences or connections. Certainly, they are not Russian icons, I agree there. 

Edited by fromthebalcony
  • Like 2

Some of the links to anything Russian on the programme last night were tenuous at best.  I think that with all the last minute changes they probably just had to include people and things and not worry at that point about the Russian icon side of things....they just needed people on stage.

Given all the changes (many of them last minute), I think it was a good programme.  I liked seeing different pieces in addition to the usual gala fodder.  Luckily I was on a freebie, but I too would have been disappointed had I paid a lot of money for a ticket and then seen virtually none of the advertised participants.  I don't know why there were so many changes.  I wonder if it had anything to do with the ballet festival in St. P?  Or do dancers just decide they can't be bothered, or have better things to do?  One of the reasons I almost never go to these things is for this reason;  I was disappointed too many times.  

Having said that, I enjoyed the evening although it wasn't what it could/should have been.   However, seeing such wonderful pdd from Naghdi/Sambe and Lamb/Watson was a joy.  I liked Julian McKay very much, and Sergio Bernal.  Nothing like a bit of flamenco for a Russian gala!!  :)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Some of the links to anything Russian on the programme last night were tenuous at best.  I think that with all the last minute changes they probably just had to include people and things and not worry at that point about the Russian icon side of things....they just needed people on stage.

Given all the changes (many of them last minute), I think it was a good programme.  I liked seeing different pieces in addition to the usual gala fodder.  Luckily I was on a freebie, but I too would have been disappointed had I paid a lot of money for a ticket and then seen virtually none of the advertised participants.  I don't know why there were so many changes.  I wonder if it had anything to do with the ballet festival in St. P?  Or do dancers just decide they can't be bothered, or have better things to do?  One of the reasons I almost never go to these things is for this reason;  I was disappointed too many times.  

Having said that, I enjoyed the evening although it wasn't what it could/should have been.   However, seeing such wonderful pdd from Naghdi/Sambe and Lamb/Watson was a joy.  I liked Julian McKay very much, and Sergio Bernal.  Nothing like a bit of flamenco for a Russian gala!!  :)

After Osipova suddenly called off DQ in St. P and all Bolshoi&Mariinsky dancers did not show up, I was worried for a little bit if the cold war came back or something worse happened :(  

Then I saw  Ekaterina Krysan and  Vasiliev and what a relief... 

Not everyone is injured. Maria Vinogradova updated on her instagram with some after show photos. I really wonder why she could not make it while Vasiliev did. I just cannot think of any explanation.

While I usually don't count on gala, this time I thought it was a long star list and even if half of them showed up... To this stage, I really wonder if the list of icons did agree with the arrangement.

Such a big disappointment. The event is organized in a way just to create a chance for the "celebrates" to dress up and have warm-up before their $$$$ Savoy dinner, while lures some innocent fans to chip in a bit.

PS: By no doubt, the dancers, if not all, but most of them really did a good job.

Edited by HelenLoveAppleJuice
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I wonder if it had anything to do with the ballet festival in St. P?  Or do dancers just decide they can't be bothered, or have better things to do? 

There are rumours circulating, Sim, but not for posting here!!!!

1 minute ago, HelenLoveAppleJuice said:

Such a big disappointment. The event is organized in a way just to create a chance for the "celebrates" to dress up and have warm-up before their $$$$ Savoy dinner, while fooled some innocent fans to chip in a bit.

You've got it nailed HelenLJ!!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sim said:

Given all the changes (many of them last minute), I think it was a good programme.  I liked seeing different pieces in addition to the usual gala fodder. 

Like you, Sim, I found the programme good and was glad to see some new pieces and new faces.
I agree that the organisers could explain at least some reasons for cast changes. However, it could be that they were let down by their partners (theatres) and, in spite of that, didn’t want to blame them publicly. In my view, the organisers deserve to be praised for finding several replacements and saving the gala. They managed to bring over Katya Krysanova who less than a month ago resumed her performances after a long absence due to an operation. She agreed to dance with a new partner and truly helped him (contrary to what was written here earlier). My big praise to Joseph Caley too. Those who were present at the Coliseum on Sunday night can not deny that the audience enjoyed the gala and showed their appreciation. 

Where were those dancers who featured in the original list? I did a little research into it.
The final gala of the XVIII Mariinsky International Ballet Festival 2019 also happened on Sunday 31st of March. At this gala Konstantin Zverev danced Torero in Carmen; Alina Somova danced Tchaikovsky/Balanchine pdd with Kimin Kim; Victoria Tereshkina danced Grand pas Classique with Jacopo Tissi.
Maria Alexandrova is still undergoing treatment for her foot injury.
In the meantime “The Winter’s Tale" by Wheeldon will open at the Bolshoi on the 4th of April where Ovcharenko is cast as Leontes, Kretova as Pauline and Hermione (in different casts of course, Vinogradova as Perdita and Lantratov as Florizel. The rehearsals are going on every day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_X2u0m28Bc
This is just information from the companies’ websites.

Edited by Amelia
corrected layout
  • Like 4

Xander Parish danced with Lauren Cuthbertson at the closing gala of the Marijnski Ballet Festival. I got this information from his Instagram account. Maybe it was not wise to put the Coliseum event on the same date as the Marijnski festival. Who knows who came up first with the date March 31st? As for the dinner (at Waldorf Hilton London): I am all for spoiling dancers, who work so hard and sacrifice a lot for our (yes, and their) pleasure. ❤

• Like 2

Despite the general complaints here on the lack of Russian Icons , I thoroughly enjoyed this mixed bag of sweets and fireworks ...with the occasional dud . It was worth the expensive ticket price just to see Watson back on stage and reading the many heartwarming welcome back messages on his Instagram page from dancers and fans alike shows just how much we were all thrilled and , yes,relieved to see him back on stage, commanding the McGregor choreography as only Ed can. Sarah Lamb was an exceptional partner in the Qualia pdd.

Did anyone else find Julian MacKay’s lurching Flames of Paris embarrassing to watch ? His gurning and his messy lunges were so off putting but I liked his partner Khaniukova who danced with brio yet with delicacy .

Bernal’s Zapateado had us eating out of his hand... his footwork was extraordinary, his hands beautiful and his shading of expression sublime. 

What to say about Daniil  Simkin other than he is a joy, and his partner Maria Kochetkova was a scheming minx of a Sylphide. Perfect timing and execution of

the Bournonville choreography. 

I am skipping over some of the pieces which did not resonate with me, however the final one of the first half was the much celebrated partnership of Naghdi and Sambe in the DonQ pdd which brought the house down. Sambe has the Acosta ability to hang in the air, defying the laws of gravity. He could calmly have a cup of tea up there then land gracefully without spilling a drop. Naghdi radiates charm and her execution was brilliant. 

After an interval of being dazzled by some of the ladies in the audience’s couture gowns... we returned to Scheherazade with Krysanova, resplendent in her sea green tutu , and Vasiliev who impressed me with his dancing despite a very slight slip on one landing and despite a rather unflattering costume. It made him look chunky and he is not a tall dancer, although still graceful .

Carmen by Victor  Ullate and danced by his son Josue with the stunning Lucia Lacarra was for me a true highlight of the gala. Carmen is about sex and power and these dancers showed us that they understood the very essence of the piece. I would like to see the entire work based on this short gala piece, it had the wow factor for sure.

After that the Black Swan pdd danced by Misa Kuranaga and Jeffrey Cirio provided plenty of dazzling dancing which was warmly received .

. Simkin returned to the stage in a solo Pacopepepluto which gave him free rein to show off his comic timing and talent. It was my first occasion to watch Daniil dance ,other than on film, and I thoroughly enjoyed both his performances.

The evening finished with La Bayadere danced well by Konivalova and Picone.

It may have disappointed all those who had paid for the chance to see the ‘Names who Appeared Not’ but I was more than happy with my evening.

As an aside I had the pleasure of meeting young up and coming future star Shale Wagman who was a delight and had come to support his ENB friends . Certainly one to watch. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

As for the dinner (at Waldorf Hilton London): I am all for spoiling dancers, who work so hard and sacrifice a lot for our (yes, and their) pleasure. ❤

So am I, Sabine0308. But that is not the purpose of the dinner. And there are other things which are as, if not, more important to dancers where these kinds of galas are concerned.

7 hours ago, Amelia said:

I agree that the organisers could explain at least some reasons for cast changes. However, it could be that they were let down by their partners (theatres) and, in spite of that, didn’t want to blame them publicly. In my view, the organisers deserve to be praised for finding several replacements and saving the gala. They managed to bring over Katya Krysanova who less than a month ago resumed her performances after a long absence due to an operation. She agreed to dance with a new partner and truly helped him (contrary to what was written here earlier). My big praise to Joseph Caley too. Those who were present at the Coliseum on Sunday night can not deny that the audience enjoyed the gala and showed their appreciation. 

Amelia - vis a vis - 'contrary to what was written earlier' - I believe you are referring to my comment where I clearly stated 'IMHO' (and I realise you may not understand) which stands for 'In My Humble Opinion'.  You are, of course, entirely in your right to disagree with me.  That is what makes a Board such as this so rich.  Thank you for your inside information.  I did not know that Krysanova - (a ballerina who I have much appreciated in the past - especially in Shrew which I believe was created for her - and who was often a Company saviour - certainly a dedicated workhorse - during the last Bolshoi tour to London) - had only recently returned from an injury.  I wish I had known this.  It explains much.  She was indeed brave to undertake such a task - with obviously limited rehearsal - and certainly under far from optimum circumstances.  I applaud her for that.  Certainly she could not have had a more supportive partner than Caley - much as he had been with the sadly missed Alexandrova during the one performance of MacMillan's Sleeping Beauty he partnered her in at ENB.  

I don't know where you were sitting Amelia - and perhaps you were on a complimentary ticket like Sim - (How I wish I knew how to get such as I can only afford the cheapest tickets to this event certainly - and even then they are a bit of a stretch) - but a goodly number of people about me - certainly within my earshot - in as I say the furthermost flung - were expressing certain disappointment against what they FELT (rightly or wrongly) they had been originally promised.  (Again, I realise the fact that they felt to some degree misguided may have been entirely their failing.)  THAT I DO write AS a matter of simple REPORTAGE - should you wish to quote me.   

I can only encourage people to try to attend Ivan Putrov's gala this coming Sunday.  I have a feeling there the extraordinary roster (with the one cast change from the POB already highlighted in the person of Hannah O'Neil) WILL appear and - happily - much of the dedicated choreographic content has already clearly been significantly indicated.  Time, of course, will tell and it will be interesting to contrast the two events in this regard with them being so close together.  I know that I am VERY much looking forward to that as I had been to the promise of the Russian Icons Gala. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Maybe my attitude would have been different on a 'freebie', but I paid £86.50 (£85.00 plus booking fee) for a seat in the Upper Circle on the basis of the promised roster. I know that it is never delivered in full for all sorts of reasons but, this year, the organisers did not keep any kind of faith with their paying public.

• Like 2

It’s difficult: I paid the minimum £25 ticket price (plus the time and inconvenience of travelling up) and - thanks to this forum over the years - had fairly low expectations so I think I came out about even. As someone else said, the surprise appearance of Ed Watson meant the evening washed its face for me. However, had I paid considerably more for my ticket and expected the advertised line-up to reflect reality I’d probably be pretty hacked off.

It does seem plausible though that the organisers were let down by the Mariinsky and Bolshoi management and I agree they did as good a job as could be expected of cobbling something together under the circumstances.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

It’s difficult: I paid the minimum £25 ticket price (plus the time and inconvenience of travelling up) and - thanks to this forum over the years - had fairly low expectations so I think I came out about even. As someone else said, the surprise appearance of Ed Watson meant the evening washed its face for me. However, had I paid considerably more for my ticket and expected the advertised line-up to reflect reality I’d probably be pretty hacked off.

It does seem plausible though that the organisers were let down by the Mariinsky and Bolshoi management and I agree they did as good a job as could be expected of cobbling something together under the circumstances.

But should there not be/have been some sort of acknowledgement of what are effectively cast changes? (Dread subject.) I know no-one's presence at a gala is guaranteed, but if the end product is vastly different from that advertised for some reason, that should surely be acknowledged and explained.

• Like 2

One would certainly hope that the list would be updated from time to time once changes are confirmed.  I wonder how easy that is to do when someone else (i.e. the venue) is hosting your site?

1 hour ago, alison said:

I wonder how easy that is to do when someone else (i.e. the venue) is hosting your site?

Other producers do it. And there is always the Facebook page which was only partially deployed by the promoters.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mandy Kent said:

Despite the general complaints here on the lack of Russian Icons , I thoroughly enjoyed this mixed bag of sweets and fireworks ...with the occasional dud . It was worth the expensive ticket price just to see Watson back on stage and reading the many heartwarming welcome back messages on his Instagram page from dancers and fans alike shows just how much we were all thrilled and , yes,relieved to see him back on stage, commanding the McGregor choreography as only Ed can. Sarah Lamb was an exceptional partner in the Qualia pdd.

Did anyone else find Julian MacKay’s lurching Flames of Paris embarrassing to watch ? His gurning and his messy lunges were so off putting but I liked his partner Khaniukova who danced with brio yet with delicacy .

Bernal’s Zapateado had us eating out of his hand... his footwork was extraordinary, his hands beautiful and his shading of expression sublime. 

What to say about Daniil  Simkin other than he is a joy, and his partner Maria Kochetkova was a scheming minx of a Sylphide. Perfect timing and execution of

the Bournonville choreography. 

I am skipping over some of the pieces which did not resonate with me, however the final one of the first half was the much celebrated partnership of Naghdi and Sambe in the DonQ pdd which brought the house down. Sambe has the Acosta ability to hang in the air, defying the laws of gravity. He could calmly have a cup of tea up there then land gracefully without spilling a drop. Naghdi radiates charm and her execution was brilliant. 

After an interval of being dazzled by some of the ladies in the audience’s couture gowns... we returned to Scheherazade with Krysanova, resplendent in her sea green tutu , and Vasiliev who impressed me with his dancing despite a very slight slip on one landing and despite a rather unflattering costume. It made him look chunky and he is not a tall dancer, although still graceful .

Carmen by Victor  Ullate and danced by his son Josue with the stunning Lucia Lacarra was for me a true highlight of the gala. Carmen is about sex and power and these dancers showed us that they understood the very essence of the piece. I would like to see the entire work based on this short gala piece, it had the wow factor for sure.

After that the Black Swan pdd danced by Misa Kuranaga and Jeffrey Cirio provided plenty of dazzling dancing which was warmly received .

. Simkin returned to the stage in a solo Pacopepepluto which gave him free rein to show off his comic timing and talent. It was my first occasion to watch Daniil dance ,other than on film, and I thoroughly enjoyed both his performances.

The evening finished with La Bayadere danced well by Konivalova and Picone.

It may have disappointed all those who had paid for the chance to see the ‘Names who Appeared Not’ but I was more than happy with my evening.

As an aside I had the pleasure of meeting young up and coming future star Shale Wagman who was a delight and had come to support his ENB friends . Certainly one to watch. 

I am happy to read about Daniil Simkin and Maria Kotchetkova, dancing a piece from "La Sylphide". I had the pleasure of joining a stage rehearsal some weeks ago here in Berlin, and even then Daniil showed off with his wicked humor alongside Maria (shortly after, he got injured and wasn't able to dance the premiere as he had been scheduled for). I would love  to see him in a contemporary role, what I saw on YouTube makes me so curious. Well, I hope the new ballet directors will come up with ideas. Also, so nice to see your appreciation for Shale although he wasn't even dancing😀. Special guy.😉

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 3