Hammond Funding Results

Janey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though my daughter has been lucky enough to be offered an MDS for Hammond we have not had confirmation of how much our contribution will be. The offer letter said that we would receive another financial form to complete and we haven’t received it yet .   If other families are in the same situation they may be unable to decide whether or not they wish to accept the place . Therefore it could be a while before MDS ‘s go back on the market ! 

P.S my daughter would like to know if a little girl  that she met at the final has been offered a place ? 

Edited by Jan McNulty
To remove detail that could identify a child
  • Like 1

Good evening  Pinksocks.

I’m pleased to say my DD received her MDS and we have excepted! Like you, we are just waiting for the MD1 form. Please PM me, she will be so happy to hear from you. X

Edited by Jan McNulty
To remove detail that could identify a child

5 hours ago, Pinksocks said:

Even though my daughter has been lucky enough to be offered an MDS for Hammond we have not had confirmation of how much our contribution will be. The offer letter said that we would receive another financial form to complete and we haven’t received it yet .   If other families are in the same situation they may be unable to decide whether or not they wish to accept the place . Therefore it could be a while before MDS ‘s go back on the market ! 

P.S my daughter would like to know if a little girl called Kitty that she met at the final has been offered a place ? 

It will probably be quite a while before the MDS forms are out, some years it’s been June before they’re sent out and August before we’ve had confirmation of our contribution. However there is a scale somewhere online to give you a rough idea. Remember it’s based on total household income before tax and there’s very little that they deduct for anything. 

3 hours ago, Farawaydancer said:

It will probably be quite a while before the MDS forms are out, some years it’s been June before they’re sent out and August before we’ve had confirmation of our contribution. However there is a scale somewhere online to give you a rough idea. Remember it’s based on total household income before tax and there’s very little that they deduct for anything. 

The royal ballet school website has MDS calculator for you to work out your contributions. If you have other children you can deduct    some money from your income.

Congratulations to @Pinksocks and @Kitty rose and you DDs! Did you get the MDS straight away or off the reserve list? I understand what you are saying with regards to not knowing the contributions and there still being a chance of MDS being returned. Depending how many MDS we’re given I think my son is pretty near the top of the reserve list so we still have a little hope.... 

58 minutes ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

The royal ballet school website has MDS calculator for you to work out your contributions. If you have other children you can deduct    some money from your income.

I think it’s about 1900-2000 deduction for each child that’s not on the mds, so something but not a lot!

And we have found they (Elmhurst) add on to your income any pension contributions your employer  makes which, in our case, has nullified the sum we can take off for other children at home. Sadly the RBS calculator doesn’t allow for this. It is affordable but only just. 

PS congrats to your dancers for getting the offers, that alone is fantastic 

http://www.elmhurstdance.co.uk/Funding-Lower-School

Old table but bands didn’t change between 2010 and 2016. They do take into account all income including bank account interest, shares etc. At Elmhurst can use the public school payment plans to spread fees, imagine same at Hammond.

Sorry the link doesn’t go through to the page I expected! If you click on Elmhurst from the government page about MDS it takes you to the contributions table. 

Edited by Jane
To add last paragraph

5 minutes ago, dancefanatic said:

And we have found they (Elmhurst) add on to your income any pension contributions your employer  makes which, in our case, has nullified the sum we can take off for other children at home. Sadly the RBS calculator doesn’t allow for this. It is affordable but only just. 

PS congrats to your dancers for getting the offers, that alone is fantastic 

Yes, it’s total household income before anything at all is taken off, it’s not taxable income that they work from. 

Thank you everyone for your replies.  What about capital that doesn’t actually earn interest as such.  Such as value of pension or savings etc .  Do they take this into account or is it purely INCOME ? 

August seems very late to be finalising things .  This would mean keeping hold of a state school place until then too ! 

40 minutes ago, Pinksocks said:

Thank you everyone for your replies.  What about capital that doesn’t actually earn interest as such.  Such as value of pension or savings etc .  Do they take this into account or is it purely INCOME ? 

August seems very late to be finalising things .  This would mean keeping hold of a state school place until then too ! 

Other schools might be more organised and get the new parents figures out to them sooner, I jut know that we’ve always had our letters back quite late. 

It is all income but since I don’t have any capital etc I don’t remember whether they take that into account. I don’t think so though. It is every bit of income though. No allowances for money paid into pension schemes etc. 

The finance office at DD’s school were really helpful at looking at a similar family already on MDS (anonymously of course) and giving us a very accurate idea.  We then divided the annual contribution by twelve and started putting the monthly sum away from May onwards so that by the time our first bill arrived, the money was ready to go. It gave us a chance to see if finances worked on a month-by-month basis before letting her state secondary school place go. Good luck everyone. Fingers crossed for all the maths to work for you.

• Like 1

Congrats to everyone who has gained an MDS, some exciting and emotional times ahead. Those on the reserve list be patient, my dd got a place from reserve list last June.

Just a quick note with regards to MDS, its advisable to maybe save a little extra each month to cover unexpected bills at end of term. Taxi fees, boarding activity fees etc can mount up especially if your child has physio/GP appointments. Also the dance uniform allowance seems generous but my dd used hers up by February, a combination of growth and exams means she went though a fair few pairs of pointes and demi pointes.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2019 at 07:40, Bothballet said:

Congratulations to @Pinksocks and @Kitty rose and you DDs! Did you get the MDS straight away or off the reserve list? I understand what you are saying with regards to not knowing the contributions and there still being a chance of MDS being returned. Depending how many MDS we’re given I think my son is pretty near the top of the reserve list so we still have a little hope.... 

My daughter got the MDS straight away rather than off the reserve but if your son is very near the top I suspect he has a good chance.  Fingers crossed for you .

On 01/04/2019 at 21:44, Miracle said:

Some parents opt for the 50% bursary as it works out better than the MDS if parents have high income's. X 

Hello, was just thinking about your post. Is that offer made available to parents who are in that position do you know? I assume each school handles this process slightly differently. Does anyone have experience of this from previous years? Thank you x

1 hour ago, Mrs Butterfly said:

Hello, was just thinking about your post. Is that offer made available to parents who are in that position do you know? I assume each school handles this process slightly differently. Does anyone have experience of this from previous years? Thank you x

My DD attended there and her friend's parents had the bursary instead of the MDS as it worked out better for them.x

On 04/04/2019 at 06:47, Mummy twinkle toes said:

My friend whose DD is in Year 7 with an MDS said that the royal ballet fees calculator is very accurate. They used it before hand to predict and then said that it was a realistic match to what they contribute now. You can opt for day pupil or boarding. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

On 05/04/2019 at 08:22, tutugirl said:

There is another MDS becoming available .

One of my pupils has accepted her Tring MDS instead .

Difficult decision , but good that someone else will have exciting news soon .

As Hollylou says , be patient .

My dd was awarded this one I think, got a phone call on Thursday afternoon - or maybe that was a different one and someone else is going to have a lovely phone call too.

• Like 2