Thanks again for the additional tips (the forum stopped notifying me for some reason)! 

I've booked three shows at NYCB 😃 - I definitely recommend looking at 'Flex' subscriber tickets if you're ever doing the same, there's a reasonable discount there. They say they won't send tickets internationally but the envelope nonetheless arrived on my doorstep a few days later, amazingly showing just $0.65 postage!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to check back in and thank you for all your wonderful suggestions again. I said I'd refer back to them as I went round NYC, and I did!

The Circle Line boat tour was fantastic - I agree well worth it! I went atop The Rock, which was a stunning view - I've got quite a few panoramic photos from there... I made sure I went to the MoMa which was incredible. My two favourite pictures - Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World and Edward Hopper's New York Movie - were remarkably just in the hallway by the stairs! I went to Katz's just before lunchtime which worked well and happily nommed my way through a metric ton of pastrami and gherkins while soaking up the 'atmos'. I was lucky enough that the High Line started just from my hotel, so that was a fabulous way to get into the city - I did it a couple of times and earlier in the morning would be my recommendation to have a more leisurely stroll before the crowds arrive. I tried to go to the Jerome Robbins collection but the woman on the front desk said it was archived and didn't seem to get that I wanted to have a look at the archives - I would've tried more but I only had 45 minutes before curtain up so had to give that one best. I had a good ol' stroll around Central Park and Battery Park too, which were very much needed to get a breather from the pace of the city, and explored lots of the different areas on foot. 

I will try and share some photos when I'm back in the UK (I'm in Ottawa currently). If I didn't do your suggestion, it certainly wasn't that it was a bad one, I simply found that NYC has way more to do than can fit into a five-day jaunt, so I'll definitely be back!

In terms of ballet, I saw three NYCB shows, with a total of eight different short ballets. I won't go into them all, but Justin Peck's The Times Are Racing absolutely knocked me for six. It literally took my breath away. Kinetic, energetic, narrative-free but with an emotional arc, it was up there - and if I'm honest, probably surpasses - Akram Khan's Giselle as the best thing I've seen on a stage. Honestly, it might be even the single best thing my eyes have seen in 40 years of looking at stuff. Given that Peck is only 31, and with life expectancy for men in NY at 78 years, I'm thrilled to see what the next 47 years of Peck production brings. Principal Lauren Lovette, who I saw again later in the week and is now up there with my all-time favourites, was utterly sublime in The Times Are Racing as was Brittany Pollack, whose pointe shoes are coming home to Bristol with me - the first time I've bought any.

It was also great to see so much Balanchine choreography, it really made sense of the dancing style of NYCB as a company. To me, they seemed to have pace and attack, while maintaining a definite lyricism, but with a focus on technique over musicality compared to other companies (although obviously having both in droves). They also danced with a lightness I've only ever seen once before at the Royal Danish Ballet. Quite a remarkable featherweight touch. As you'd expect, they came across as a supremely talented company and I was deeply impressed. I'd also pick out Taylor Stanley who was absolutely magnetic on the stage. Chatting to various people after the performances, it's clear he's a NY audience favourite and rightly so.  

Oh, and finally, I sat in Orchestra stalls, and the first and second rings, and have to say that none were bad seats at all. My pick for bang-for-buck would probably be the second ring, and if you're sitting in the stalls, really avoid the first six rows or so, the rake angle looked pretty poor for those so not great if you're short!

Anyway, great time had, thank you all so much for your suggestions! 

Edited by BristolBillyBob
links
  • Like 9

• 3 years later...

I'll be going to New York City myself for the first time in a couple of months (the first week of May, roughly speaking) and remembered this most useful thread. If there are any NYC locals or regulars reading: has anything changed about, for example, choosing NYCB tickets? I'm planning to see several performances.

Any other advice is welcome too!

The $38 tickets on the centre sides of the 2nd Ring are excellent value.  I don't think you should have any problem getting one for the performance of your choice.  Unusually this season NYCB are doing all mixed rep in the Summer season as Sleeping Beauty was done at the end of their Spring one.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

The $38 tickets on the centre sides of the 2nd Ring are excellent value.  I don't think you should have any problem getting one for the performance of your choice.  Unusually this season NYCB are doing all mixed rep in the Summer season as Sleeping Beauty was done at the end of their Spring one.  

Thank you Bruce - I've taken your advice and booked myself in as you suggest for Balanchine & Robbins I and II*, and Balanchine & Ratmansky I. I might add on a 20th Century programme if other gadding about permits.

I took out a subscription: slightly more expensive than buying three single tickets but should work out slightly cheaper if I add another. I changed the automatically assigned seats, which weren't the best available IMO.

*It was slim pickings for II so I'm trying the 1st Ring sides for that.

• Like 1

I have one specific question! My brother has obviously got a guilty conscience about something and wants to fund a good dinner for me while I'm there. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be near Lincoln Center but I'll be staying nearby, so it would make sense. Nothing too fancy, I'm not going to push it!

5 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I have one specific question! My brother has obviously got a guilty conscience about something and wants to fund a good dinner for me while I'm there. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be near Lincoln Center but I'll be staying nearby, so it would make sense. Nothing too fancy, I'm not going to push it!

We like Il Violino (68th & Columbus) or, if you have a big appetite, Cafe Fiorello, right across the street from the Lincoln Center.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I think Sarabeth's is great for breakfast/brunch, lunch or dinner, there are two locations that would be close(ish) to Lincoln Square: Central Park South at 6th Ave or Amsterdam Ave at 80th St.

• Like 1