Young Dancers Academy

Mumofdancegirls

Heard good and bad stuff about this school. DD didn’t get offered place at WL at finals. Wondered what Yda school is like as not boarding school but we have a flat in London we can use and I could live there and work from home while dd at school. Been told easy to get a place if know right people? Any views welcomed 

My DD is an associate there and we went to watch the YDA and Associates Spring Showcase yesterday.

The standard was very high and we were very impressed.

Perhaps some past or current YDA parents could provide more insight into the school but have never heard that it was easy.

5 minutes ago, margarite said:

I don't think it's 'easy' to get a place, my daughter auditioned last year (she was an associate there) and she said the standard was higher than all the other prelims. Why not contact them? I don't think they've had their finals yet?

Did she get a place?

Is she happy there 

heard standard high and school subjects is good but also that lots of “who you know” getting people in. Could be untrue.

not a clue really. 

It’s the boarding that concerns me 

3 minutes ago, Mumofdancegirls said:

Did she get a place?

Is she happy there 

heard standard high and school subjects is good but also that lots of “who you know” getting people in. Could be untrue.

not a clue really. 

It’s the boarding that concerns me 

No, she didn’t get a place, but is very happy at another vocational school 😀. I don’t think anyone got in by any means other than merit. Around  9 associates applied for FT and only 3 got places. Most of the parents of the children who didn’t get in had long-standing relationships with the school, so I don’t feel there’s any truth in that rumour.

• Like 1

My daughter was offered a year 7 place last year after Getting to RBS finals and no place. We certainly didn’t have any influence over anyone!!! My DD was a YDA associate which she loved. Financially it was not viable as we would have had to pay for the homestay on top of fees so she did not take up her place. Also she was not ready to leave home and had a place at local grammar school. I know a lot of people very happy there and academics are very good. X

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mumofdancegirls said:

So how does the funding happen? If she got a place would we have to pay for fees and boarding? Not sure we can do it without mds as not on big incomes 

how much would we have to pay? 

According to their website, fees are £4079 per term for years 7, 8 and 9. £4230 for years 10 and 11. This do not include medical insurance, academic examination fees, TRINITY examination fees, school trips, private singing lessons or lunches.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I highly recommend YDA.  My child is a student there.

This school is small but has an incredibly high standard in teaching academically and in Ballet, Jazz, Singing etc.  The school is incredibly caring and nurturing and staff are dedicated to teaching and guiding it's pupils.  Unfortunately it does not get funding, but it should. 

If your child has a talent and passion and you do not have the funds I am sure something could be arranged if they have places available.  I would definitely recommend this school.  They do audition throughout the year if there are places.

The majority of their students go to top ballet schools after year 11 and other top dance colleges.

I hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/04/2019 at 13:34, Mumofdancegirls said:

Not going to YDA after all as flat fell through and we can’t pay boarding fees as well as fees

also heard very alarming stories about the boarding arrangements and having to move out etc

not ideal

looking at other options

all the best to everyone 

Please don’t be to alarmed by what you heard! While not ideal what happened, it could easily happen anywhere. Old building or new, sometimes things just happen (Think of all the flooding problems Elmhurst had.) 

On another note, my DD left Elmhurst at end of YR 8 to attend YDA and absolutely loves it! YDA has a very high standard. No school ticks every box but I’m sure no student does either. It’s more about choosing the right fit at the right time and if you make a mistake it’s ok, just find the other options that fit. There are many routes to the final destination and plenty of detours along the way. Don’t let any one thing be the be all and end all. I’m sorry YDA turned out not to be an option for your dd, I personally highly recommend it. It’s not for everyone though and I’m sure the girls that left YDA to attend Elmhurst are just as happy with their decision and I wish them well. 

• Like 3

I agree totally

Many different options out there

even with some help we couldn’t pay the boarding fees on top

But we are not downhearted as our  dd has opportunities for next year 

I think a boarding school is better for us rather than one where it’s just staying arrangements 

however I know Yda is good so wish everyone there the best of luck

wr know a student who moved to another school from Yda and is very pleased

so choices are individual in the end really 

good luck to all 

• 5 months later...

I have considered this for my daughter also, but I am put off by the fees. 
Also, someone I am close to teaches at another London Ballet School (Full time only from year 12) and she said they have three students who have come fromYDA, they are good but all very stressed. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/04/2019 at 13:00, DanceMomma said:

Please don’t be to alarmed by what you heard! While not ideal what happened, it could easily happen anywhere. Old building or new, sometimes things just happen (Think of all the flooding problems Elmhurst had.) 

On another note, my DD left Elmhurst at end of YR 8 to attend YDA and absolutely loves it! YDA has a very high standard. No school ticks every box but I’m sure no student does either. It’s more about choosing the right fit at the right time and if you make a mistake it’s ok, just find the other options that fit. There are many routes to the final destination and plenty of detours along the way. Don’t let any one thing be the be all and end all. I’m sorry YDA turned out not to be an option for your dd, I personally highly recommend it. It’s not for everyone though and I’m sure the girls that left YDA to attend Elmhurst are just as happy with their decision and I wish them well. 

why did your dd leave Elmhurst? We know of two students who left?

is yda better in terms of ballet tuition do you think?

Or is it what suits each student? 

still feeling way through this complete minefield that is ballet!!

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have been looking for a vocational school for my daughter but she doesn’t want to board and all the schools are too fat to travel to from where we live in London! I’ve just seen this school online as even with searching couldn’t find a vocational school for my 12 year old, it seems to tick the boxes for her but having read the ofsted report which wasn’t great I am a bit worried. Also I can’t download the fees online too? 

My dd was offered a place this year for year 10, sadly we couldn't find any boarding or home stay facilities BUT some of dd's friends are there and they are loving it. The school are really doing what they can to improve things there and they seem genuinely interested in each student. 

On 25/04/2019 at 13:00, DanceMomma said:

Hi, can I ask how your daughter finds the same class/year sizes please? We are seriously considering YDA as we are London based and my DD doesn’t want to board! 

• alison changed the title to Young Dancers Academy