Introdans - Dutch Masters, London March 2018

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I meant to go (had one of those terrible standing places) but after a few too many beers watching the Cheltenham Gold Cup, I fell asleep on the sofa and missed it. Be interested to hear what I missed!

Well, that sounds like a pretty good excuse to me! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Anyone seen this at the Linbury? Greatly looking forward to the van Manen and Kylian works.

Saw it on Friday.  Nice programme - Polish Pieces (music by Gorecki) and Andante (Mozart) by Van Manen plus Kylian's Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen (Mahler) in the first half and Nils Christe's Cantus (Arvo Part) after the interval.  The only piece I had seen before was Andante and I had never seen anything by Nils Christe so it was all quite novel.  The first half was long - especially since there were quite lengthy pauses between pieces, for costume change and a breather for the dancers in the small company, Introdans -  but it didn't drag.  Excellent dancers.

I have always enjoyed Van Manen's work and this programme certainly didn't change my mind, but as a hardened non-fan of Kylian I was rather dreading his piece.  In the event I surprised myself by enjoying the choreography despite German song cycles being a pet musical hate and if all Christe's work is like Cantus I should certainly be in the queue for tickets again.  Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Agree about the excellent dancers who showed tremendous skills and dedication.

"Polish Pieces"  was very striking and colourful with excellent timing as the cast struck identical poses. "Andante" was an enjoyable, and slightly comic PDD. "Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen"  was a series of nice  PDDs described as "reflecting the diverse emotions" of Mahler's  composition, but  there was relatively little diversion away from a rather generalised  display of angst.  The choreography had become rather "samey" by the fourth work, Cantus, with a lot of squatting, tumbling, spreading of legs, "planks" and other potential yoga positions.

Lacking narrative, identifiable characters, or much acting as such, for me these works, in the main, became more of a display of what is possible  in flexibility of  movement and co-ordination,  rather than dances that affected me emotionally. 

But certainly worth seeing! 

P.S. The Linbury would have benefited from better house lighting...we couldn't read the programme where we seated, and it felt like  a  rather claustrophobic black hole. It must be pretty deep below ground level! 

A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. Especially good to see the van Manen Polish Pieces and the Kylian Lieder. Not sure about Cantus, as Richard LH said there was an awful lot of rolling around, much of it invisible from my front row stalls seat. Dancers were excellent, and the programme made me wish that the Royal Ballet would bring back van Manen's Schumann Pieces. 

The description of the Linbury as a black hole is totally accurate. I couldn't locate my seat and had to ask people already seated what their seat numbers,were - a sort of deduction game. And as for reading your programme - forget it!. Access is tricky. I hadn't realised that by entering by Door 1 I would have to negotiate so many steps, although I was ok for leaving when I sorted out where the lift was.

On a general note, it was a Family Fun Day and there were hoards of children there. I noticed there were some,cheaper and very nice snacks but it seemed most of the children had bought food,in with them. But good to see ballet shoes being made, people in costume, dancers and,the sound,of Schubert coming from the PH. 

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Introdans - Dutch Masters, London March 2018