Trinity Laban Graduate Diploma, or similar courses?

amum/Cathy

Hi all. I'm looking for any feedback on this course, or similar courses please.  Ds (age 20) is graduating from his Humanities degree this summer and looking at ways back into dance - teaching, choreography, or performing, he's not sure which, but probably performing for a while, if possible, and teaching in the long term. He's spent his 3 last years doing a lot of all 3 in various dance societies at university (ballet, contemporary, jazz, and tap). He has Adv 2 ballet, amongst his exam qualifications. He's interested in Trinity Laban's one year Graduate dance diploma, which sounds ideally geared towards someone like him. Does anyone have any experience of it? And does anyone know of any other similar dance courses he could also look at? He did all the usual stuff before uni; was a RBS JA, and Hammond Dance Associate, did YMT-UK musical theatre etc, but didn't want to go to a dance college at that stage. He doesn't want to do a Musical Theatre course. He wants to be in the South/London. Please let me know of any recommendations, suggestions, and/or experiences of young people who have taken similar career paths. Thank you if you can help.

4 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

London Studio Centre also do a 1 year Post- Graduate Diploma

https://www.londonstudiocentre.org/courses/one-year-professional-diploma

It does seem to be geared towards performers who have trained elsewhere and less flexible than the Trinity approach from what I can see.

Thanks Pictures, I'll point that out to him. As you say, it does read as if they're expecting people who have already trained and are looking to sharpen up their performing skills . . .

16 minutes ago, amum/Cathy said:

Hi all. I'm looking for any feedback on this course, or similar courses please.  Ds (age 20) is graduating from his Humanities degree this summer and looking at ways back into dance - teaching, choreography, or performing, he's not sure which, but probably performing for a while, if possible, and teaching in the long term. He's spent his 3 last years doing a lot of all 3 in various dance societies at university (ballet, contemporary, jazz, and tap). He has Adv 2 ballet, amongst his exam qualifications. He's interested in Trinity Laban's one year Graduate dance diploma, which sounds ideally geared towards someone like him. Does anyone have any experience of it? And does anyone know of any other similar dance courses he could also look at? He did all the usual stuff before uni; was a RBS JA, and Hammond Dance Associate, did YMT-UK musical theatre etc, but didn't want to go to a dance college at that stage. He doesn't want to do a Musical Theatre course. He wants to be in the South/London. Please let me know of any recommendations, suggestions, and/or experiences of young people who have taken similar career paths. Thank you if you can help.

Hi. I’m not too sure on courses but if your son has continued his dancing from his younger years has he considered going straight to some open auditions? A friends DD went to one at Pineapple when she was 18ish. Offered a contract with a cruise company. No pro singing experience at all. Just came from a local dance school. Didn’t go to any dance college. Been working for the same company for the past 7yrs+ moving her way up through the ranks to solo performer incl singing, showing her worth through sheer determination and proving her hard work ethic . Not saying it’s necessarily the best route but she had nothing to lose at the time and with your sons impressive cv it may be a good way to judge his level before incurring the additional cost of one year course. There’s no rule that says to work in the industry you have to hold a Diploma/Degree. Follow ‘The Stage’ for more details. 

Good Luck. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Hi. I’m not too sure on courses but if your son has continued his dancing from his younger years has he considered going straight to some open auditions? A friends DD went to one at Pineapple when she was 18ish. Offered a contract with a cruise company. No pro singing experience at all. Just came from a local dance school. Didn’t go to any dance college. Been working for the same company for the past 7yrs+ moving her way up through the ranks to solo performer incl singing, showing her worth through sheer determination and proving her hard work ethic . Not saying it’s necessarily the best route but she had nothing to lose at the time and with your sons impressive cv it may be a good way to judge his level before incurring the additional cost of one year course. There’s no rule that says to work in the industry you have to hold a Diploma/Degree. Follow ‘The Stage’ for more details. 

Good Luck. 

Thanks balletbean. Me and his old dance teacher have tried convincing him to try that but he doesn't want musical theatre he says. Doesn't want to sing 🙄. (And he's got a good voice! 🙄🙄) He wants to give contemporary dance a go. His flatmate/dance society friend at uni just got through 2 rounds of Lion King auditions and is waiting for the singing audition, but ds couldn't be persuaded to go along and try out himself! Still hoping that he'll consider it in the end, so thanks for your advice.

4 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Sir Matthew Bourne went to Trinity Laban...

Thanks Janet! Yes, my mum pointed that out to us. She's become very invested in ds's potential application (to the tune of lending half the fees if ds goes) 🤣

Edited by amum/Cathy
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, amum/Cathy said:

Thanks balletbean. Me and his old dance teacher have tried convincing him to try that but he doesn't want musical theatre he says. Doesn't want to sing 🙄. (And he's got a good voice! 🙄🙄) He wants to give contemporary dance a go. His flatmate/dance society friend at uni just got through 2 rounds of Lion King auditions and is waiting for the singing audition, but ds couldn't be persuaded to go along and try out himself! Still hoping that he'll consider it in the end, so thanks for your advice.

Best of luck. Just remember (I sure you do) that it’s not just MT that audition at places like Pineapple or The Danceworks. 

A friend of my youngest DD just got through to the final 12 for Lion King (hasnt graduated college as yet so just has her RAD/ISTD exams) the audition process is gruelling but the reward is well worth it.  

Good Luck to your son. You could say. ‘Just go to the auditions to assess your level before embarking on a future college place’ with fingers crossed behind your back that your reversed psychology works and he is successful without openingly pushing him. Because of course us mums don’t ‘push’ we just ‘encourage’. Lol. 😉🤩  

• Like 1

Just now, meadowblythe said:

The daughter of a friend of mind did exactly that - 1st class physics degree then post-grad at Trinity.  She doesn't perform professionally but she does make enough from teaching contemporary plus physics tutoring and exam marking to make ends meet in London.

Ooh thank you for that meadowblythe. Very helpful!

I had a pupil do Trinity Laban BA hons degree some years ago and another has an offer of a place for this September. It is a very good instution. From what you say this could suit your DS. He would have a year in London receiving excellent training and be able to see which way forward would be best for him afterwards.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Typo
  • Like 1

Just now, Pas de Quatre said:

I had a pupil do Trinity Laban BA hons degree some years ago and another has an offer a place for this September. It is a very good instution. From what you say this could suit your DS. He would have a year in London receiving excellent training and be able to see which way forward would be best for him afterwards.

Thanks Pas de Quatre. That's very reassuring and helpful to hear. 

Dd has a friend who has just started a year long course with Jasmine Vardimon, there are people on this course from a range of backgrounds. My DD is currently at Laban and she is loving it, she has gained so much from being there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janice said:

Dd has a friend who has just started a year long course with Jasmine Vardimon, there are people on this course from a range of backgrounds. My DD is currently at Laban and she is loving it, she has gained so much from being there.

Thanks Janice. The Jasmine Vardimon thing looks very interesting but I think he's missed the UK audition dates for this year (which was the case with Ballet Rambert's equivalent as well). Really good to hear how much your dd is enjoying Laban. It sounds like a brilliant place. Good luck to her.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cathy,

Nice to hear your son is thinking of TL. I just wanted to flag we have a taster day for the graduate diploma coming up next Friday (and another one on the 11th June if that's a bit soon!) There will be a couple of classes and a chance to meet the programme leaders and have a chat about the course. You can sign up here: https://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/study/open-days/dance-open-days

From what you've said it does sound like quite a good fit- lots of the students on the course use it as a chance to hone their dance skills before applying for Masters degrees or auditioning for companies.

You can always email contact@trinitylaban.ac.uk if you want any more info.

Thanks

Hannah

Trinity Laban

• Like 1

Hello Hannah and welcome to the forum.  Thanks for posting.  😊

In line with the “Commerce” section of our Acceptable Use Policy, please would you add Trinity Laban’s website and contact details into your profile signature?  Details are here:

“Members who have commercial interests must indicate that by adding a Signature line to their postings, stating the name and type of their business and giving their website and/or business email address for enquiries. Signatures are best displayed as text but small graphic logos are permissible. (Set up a Signature via Account Settings in the dropdown menu under your name.) If members wish to contact businesses, associate schemes or other commercial enterprises this should be done via the vendor’s website or email, not by starting threads on the forum. Sending promotional ‘mailshot’ messages to other users is not allowed.”

Many thanks! 

16 hours ago, Trinity Laban said:

Hi Cathy,

Nice to hear your son is thinking of TL. I just wanted to flag we have a taster day for the graduate diploma coming up next Friday (and another one on the 11th June if that's a bit soon!) There will be a couple of classes and a chance to meet the programme leaders and have a chat about the course. You can sign up here: https://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/study/open-days/dance-open-days

From what you've said it does sound like quite a good fit- lots of the students on the course use it as a chance to hone their dance skills before applying for Masters degrees or auditioning for companies.

You can always email contact@trinitylaban.ac.uk if you want any more info.

Thanks

Hannah

Trinity Laban

Hi Hannah

Thank you very much for posting about this. I'll certainly pass it on. Best wishes, Cathy

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, amum/Cathy said:

Thanks Janet, I'll pass it on. He'll remember meeting you at the Lowry! I can't remember what we were seeing though 🙄. Think we were with pups mum and her dd.

You were!!  I know it was BRB but I can't remember which production.  It was lovely meeting up with you all and it's been a joy hearing about your children's progress since then!

7 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

You were!!  I know it was BRB but I can't remember which production.  It was lovely meeting up with you all and it's been a joy hearing about your children's progress since then!

Oh thank you Janet! Xx

• Like 1