Annette Page -Tribute to a Ballerina ROH 12 March 2019

This was a very well received and moving event celebrating the life of a much loved former principal of the Royal Ballet. Her dancing partnership with Ronald Hynd blossomed into a 60 year marriage.  She died of motor neurone disease in 2017, a couple of weeks before her 85th birthday, and the event was also a platform to mention this disease and request support for the MND Association.

Ronald Hynd also talked to the audience about some of his fond memories of Annette, and she appeared herself in a filmed interview and some dancing clips. She seems to have been a completely down to earth, yet charismatic character, and a beautiful dancer  noted for her slight but graceful  build and wonderful balance.

We were treated to some excellent  live dancing to recall some of her roles:

Mendizabel and Hirano in the opening Firebird PDD

Nunez in the "Fanny Elssler" solo from La Fille Mal Gardee

Cuthbertson and Ball   R&J Balcony scene

Nunez and Avis  The Merry Widow PDD

also a new PDD  "Ever After" by Andrew McNicol  referencing the effects of MND danced by Olivia Cowley (who must have had a quick change thereafter to perform in Frankenstein as Victor's mother) and Nicol Edmonds.

Annette  and Ronald's daughter Lulu also took applause at the end, with Lady Sainsbury (Annette's lifelong friend); they had originated the event with Kevin O'Hare. 

• Like 7

This was a lovely evening and a wonderful tribute to Annette Page.  Although I never saw her dance, I remember a beautiful photograph of her in my very first ballet book (by A.H.Franks) which I still have, which showed what a wonderfully vivacious dancer she must have been, evidenced in her joyous rendering of the Waltz from "Les Sylphides" which featured in the filmed tribute by Lyn Wake.  The only slight irritation of the evening was Sarah Crompton's compering in which she continually tripped up over the names of the wonderful dancers who performed for us.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Irmgard said:

This was a lovely evening and a wonderful tribute to Annette Page.  Although I never saw her dance, I remember a beautiful photograph of her in my very first ballet book (by A.H.Franks) which I still have, which showed what a wonderfully vivacious dancer she must have been, evidenced in her joyous rendering of the Waltz from "Les Sylphides" which featured in the filmed tribute by Lyn Wake.  The only slight irritation of the evening was Sarah Crompton's compering in which she continually tripped up over the names of the wonderful dancers who performed for us.

Agree entirely, a wonderful evening and from the video clips, what a superb and beautiful dancer.  The clip from Scenes de Ballet was amazing - an exemplary rendition of the Ashton style.  I l also did not see her dance but do remember the beautiful photograph in my first ballet book by A.H.Franks.  

• Like 1