Bernard Haitink at 90

JohnS

Radio 3 is broadcasting last night’s celebratory concert - Bernard Haitink conducting the LSO in Mozart’s Piano Concerto no 22 with Till Fellner and Bruckner’s 4th Symphony (Romantic).  The interval is devoted to an interview with Bernard Haitink.  So many memorable nights at the Royal Opera House and wonderful that Bernard Haitink is still conducting, a consummate musician.  I do hope Radio 3 also broadcasts the forthcoming Mahler 4 concert.

• Like 2

Hi Alison - 7:30 this evening and on iPlayer (or whatever it’s now called) for 30 days.  Well worth having a sneak preview of the end of the concert and the ovations on YouTube - whilst I’m definitely not a Bruckner aficionado, Bernard Haitink is wonderful.  I’d watch him conduct anything, even Happy Bithday, but he might get a surprise if the LSO did this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wZCHFIplXE

26 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Did he not conduct Romeo and Juliet circa 1989 when Markarova danced it with Bocca at Covent Garden?

Bernard Haitink conducted a number of ballet programmes - Daphnis and Chloe, Romeo and Juliet, and I think a Stravinsky Triple bill.  

And yes you are correct:

http://rohcollections.org.uk/performance.aspx?performance=14024&row=81

24 minutes ago, alison said:

Wow, what a long concert!  Or was the interval interview unusually long?  Unfortunately, I was in transit from the office during part of the Mozart.

I think the interval was standard length and very good to hear Bernard Haitink reminiscing on his early years and 65 yeas on the podium.  The dvd 3 hours or whatever doesn’t start until 35 minutes in.  Perhaps time stands still/goes backwards in Bruckner - even with Bernard Haitink?  Quite a contrast with Meistersinger Act 3 which just flowed so freely and seemed over in no time at all.

• 3 months later...

Just in case anyone was still unaware, Haitink has recently confirmed that the "sabbatical" he was supposed to be taking was no such thing, and that he will actually be retiring from conducting at the end of this year, or whenever it was :( 

Thanks Alison - I didn’t know that and so I take it Bernard Haitink’s Proms performance will be one of his last.  I looked at tickets when booking opened but it was sold out and I see it’s not televised.

52 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Thanks Alison - I didn’t know that and so I take it Bernard Haitink’s Proms performance will be one of his last.  I looked at tickets when booking opened but it was sold out and I see it’s not televised.

You could get a Promming ticket on the day!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I see from Radio Times that Bernard Haitink is shortly to retire so 3 September will be his last UK concert.  He repeats the concert at Lucerne on 6 September.  I appreciate there may be copyright issues but I would have hoped the BBC might have been able to televise the concert given Bernard Haitink’s astonishing achievements and of course his contribution to musical life in the UK.  

I’ll keep checking for returns as this really is the last opportunity to see him conduct.

• Like 1

Although of course John would need to come down the night before in order to stand a chance. 

I suspect the BBC's Proms TV scheduling is so set in stone that there would be no way to change things once it's decided.   I hope I'm wrong, though - even seeing it at Christmas would be something ...

• Like 2

Thanks bangorballetboy and Alison.  I’ve thought about promming but am not sure when I’d need to be there and, given a trip from Cumbria, would much prefer the certainty of a ticket.  It’s also Winter Booking for me that morning as an added complication.  And I’m definitely not using Viagogo!

• 1 month later...

Good news - because Bernard Haitink’s farewell concert was repeated on Radio 3 on 12 September, it’s available for another 8 days:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0008b78

I have to say I struggle with BBC Sounds and much preferred iPlayer with it’s very helpful schedule - can’t help but see similarities between the ROH’s new website and the absence of a decent calendar.  My reactions to both changes could of course be a reflection of my lack of IT nous - I hope not any increasing grumpiness on my part.

• Like 1

Thanks for the original tip and for the update, John.  I spent all afternoon listening to it while I was working: it even managed to sound good on what I'd always thought was a fairly ropey laptop, audio-wise!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Many thanks Alison. Just listened to the Beethoven - wonderful. But a big health warning needed at the very start where the presenter manages a monumental faux pas although she quickly recovers. Bernard Haitink’s final concert before his retirement!

• 6 months later...

With a repeat at 6.55 am on Friday for anyone who missed this morning and wants to record. Plus Simon Rattle's 16 years at the Berlin Phil at 7.30 on Thursday morning and don't forget the RO's Madama Butterfly with Ermonela Jaho at 11.00 am tomorrow and 6.30 am on Wednesday plus ENO's drive-in Boheme at 8.00 pm on Wednesday.