Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm writing this here because I'm lamenting my poor memory sometimes.

Can anyone remember the name of a young Australian dancer who had just started getting some roles a few years back ....I think she was either in Rite of Spring or Les Noces I'm not sure now. I think she had blonde hair and I always think of her as being a very strong and powerful young dancer. 

She went back to Australia because she missed her family but I don't think she joined another Company there and seems to be involved with teaching more ....she had put some teaching type videos on YouTube a couple of years ago 

Anyway I just can't remember her name and it's driving me mad! I've tried looking this up but it always comes up with Leanne Benjamin and she is nowhere near as famous or senior as Leanne. 

Anybody have any idea? 

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Yes Claudia Dean. She has a youtube channel with excellent coaching videos and a dancewear business. There is an earlier thread Claudia Dean - why I left the Royal Ballet. Perhaps someone can add the link, I don't know how.

Find the thread.  Copy the URL (address for web page at top of screen) - paste in your post - easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Well this whole thing started because I did a zoom mini workshop on Ashtons Birthday Offering given by a local teacher here in Brighton. 
I was telling a friend in London about it and we got into a discussion about Birthday Offering ..music..  when first performed .. Who in it  Why etc (am getting to Claudia eventually!) we sorted that ....finally ....typical conversation eg re music ....my friend: it was Britten wasn’t it? Me: Britten are you sure... no can’t have been Britten surely? Someone less dramatic I think.....

so had to look that up to discover it was Glazunov 🙄..... did this for most original performance info .....turns out we didn’t actually know that much about Birthday Offering apart from Ashton was choreographer !!!!!  .... then it was 

when was it last performed...back in 2012 my friend thought ... racking of brains then decided to look that up and discovered that it was performed with Month in Country and Les Noces in June and July 2012 . We had both been to this triple in fact 🙄 and I remembered seeing Zenaida Yanowsky and Rupert Pennefather in Month. We couldn’t remember who had performed in Birthday Offering in 2012 but did remember the costumes and it all being rather pleasant ....music ..dancing ..costumes! 
Then I remembered that seeing Les Noces again then hadn’t made me like it any more and that’s when Claudia came up! (finally!) 

I said I thought she’d been in this and really stood out ..  except that it wasn’t Claudia ....it was “ You know that young Australian dancer..you know the strong one who went back to Australia very suddenly” 

My friend didn’t recollect any particular dancer as standing out in Les Noces...  and I kept saying but you must remember her she was amazing the best bit about it!!! 
Anyway that was on Monday and when we had finished our conversation I began to think perhaps it was the Rite of Spring and not Les Noces that I’d seen her in but because I couldn’t remember her name it was difficult to look up .. Australian dancer from RB always brings up Leanne Benjamin. 
Anyway since Jans reply I looked up Claudia and she was definitely in the Rite of Spring but a year later ... she was amazing in that... hence was sorry when she suddenly left the RB

She may have been dancing the night I went to the triple in 2012 I don’t know! I need to hunt out the prog. 
One thing I did find out as interesting extraneous fact was that in the 2012 triple on July 7th Tamara Rojo danced for the last time with RB! 
Sorry a bit of a lockdown ramble but just couldn’t unlock Claudia’s name from the depth of my brain cells ....am sure a few extra than normal have disappeared since March 23 rd ... hope I’m not heading down Trumps road 😳😩😢

Well I’ve just found the 2012 programme of Birthday offering! And what do I know! 
I was there on July 7th Tamara’s last performance with RB completely forgotten this and now have cast for that 2012 performance! 

• 4 weeks later...

Why is it when I finally persuade my husband to mow the lawn that my neighbour must come out and engage him in a long conversation? She’s lovely but it takes ages to mow it and he’s inclined to be somewhat lazy. Argh!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fiz said:

Why is it when I finally persuade my husband to mow the lawn that my neighbour must come out and engage him in a long conversation? She’s lovely but it takes ages to mow it and he’s inclined to be somewhat lazy. Argh!

toe, arse, firm connection.

That should sort it!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Estate agents and their, well I suppose calling it hyperbole would be a bit much, but exaggeration, certainly.  This just in:

"Unveiled to the XXXX property market is this incredibly characterful Victorian residence, providing stunning kerb appeal via the brick façade frontage and stylish interior."

I've not tended to note interiors providing a lot in the way of "kerb appeal"!  It's a very standard-looking Victorian terraced house, and obviously the gravelled-over front "garden" with two large permanent plastic recycling-bin housings does a lot for the kerb appeal ;)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, alison said:

Estate agents and their, well I suppose calling it hyperbole would be a bit much, but exaggeration, certainly.  This just in:

"Unveiled to the XXXX property market is this incredibly characterful Victorian residence, providing stunning kerb appeal via the brick façade frontage and stylish interior."

I've not tended to note interiors providing a lot in the way of "kerb appeal"!  It's a very standard-looking Victorian terraced house, and obviously the gravelled-over front "garden" with two large permanent plastic recycling-bin housings does a lot for the kerb appeal ;)

Our current house was described as having a patio. As there didn't appear to be one,  I queried it with the agent who informed me that the 6 'stone slabs' we were standing on, outside of the cellar door, was considered to be a patio!  You could just about get a garden chair on them but that was pushing it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnneMarriott said:

Forgive my ignorance (I have been avoiding the news lately and don't do any social media) but what exactly is this "new normal"?

all the staying 6-7ft apart, wearing face masks, etc, whenever venturing out; working from home all week (rather than just 'working from home' on a Friday) if lucky; eveything closed unless social distancing can be maintained - all that malarkey been branded the 'new normal'. 'New', as its not normal at all

Scheherazade that’s exactly how it strikes me! 

And a feeling that it’s the normal of the future for evermore ....and we’d better jolly well get used to it 😬😡😱😢