Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/12/2019 at 16:11, Fonty said:

How do people feel about other people talking over the top of them?  I boarded a train which began its journey at that particular station.  There was plenty of choice of seats, and I sat at one with the table, because I like to do a crossword puzzle or two on a long journey and find it easier to rest on a table.  Just before the doors shut.  2 couples and several children dashed on.  2 of the adults sat opposite me, the other two sat behind me.

The 4 adults were obviously all together, and  proceeded to have a very loud conversation, with me stuck in the middle of them.  In the meantime, the children amused themselves by jumping off the seats, thwacking the arm rests up and down, and running about.  At some point, in between the "lively" conversation, the man opposite me tuned in to the football, so I was treated to a running commentary on Arsenal's woeful performance.  Accompanied by lots of "F**king 'ell"

I couldn't concentrate on my crossword, and found that I was reading the same paragraph in my book over and over.  I found myself getting more and more irritated.  In the end, I gave up and sat with my eyes closed for the next hour and a half. 

How extremely rude of these people. 

• Like 1

Famers not keeping their ditches flowing, and councils not unclogging rural drains after autumn leaf fall...   We live in the sticks and last week during the heavy rains my wife drove into one of the many flooded road sections and got swamped by a lorry coming the other way. That drove water into the air intake and wrecked the engine, which in turn caused the car to be a write off.  We'd had that car for 13 years and it felt like a member of the family 😫

Sorry about that Quintus ...not a nice experience for your wife either. 

However am glad I'm not the only one who gets fond of their cars! Almost as bad as losing a pet sometimes ...well nearly!

When I had to scrap my golf a few years back I followed the removal lorry to the corner of the road so I could see it going for as long as possible 🙄

We know we've got to change our now one car in the next year as its a 20 year old diesel and it's going to be impossible to drive it into some areas now even though it's probably got another five good years in it 😢 

We will,both be sad to see it go especially when it hasn't really died yet and is in good working order.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Famers not keeping their ditches flowing, and councils not unclogging rural drains after autumn leaf fall...   We live in the sticks and last week during the heavy rains my wife drove into one of the many flooded road sections and got swamped by a lorry coming the other way. That drove water into the air intake and wrecked the engine, which in turn caused the car to be a write off.  We'd had that car for 13 years and it felt like a member of the family 😫

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about that, what a rotten nuisance.

On the subject of drainage ditches and drains, unfortunately an EU law is partially to blame for this - there was a lot of talk about it after all the flooding of the Somerset Levels not so long ago. Something to do with protecting certain wildlife habitats I think.

Edited by taxi4ballet
edited for spelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

My car is off to garage tomorrow as a number of warning lights have come on and stayed on since the floods. Garages first response was ‘wait and see if they go out when it dries’ - they haven’t. My car doesn’t really owe me anything at over 10 years old with over 200,000 miles on clock but having only ever needed a new battery and heating fan but will be upset if the floods have finished it off. 

• Like 2

I can remember we went to buy my beloved Golf from the seller who lived near Worthing. 
Then forever after that every time we drove past that road ( in my partners car) my partner would wind me up saying my Golf isn’t happy with my driving and wanted to go ‘home’ to its original owner ....grrr 

There is a name for giving  animals ‘human’ qualities etc...anthropomorphising? I wonder if there is a word for doing this to cars? 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 07:18, Jane said:

My car is off to garage tomorrow as a number of warning lights have come on and stayed on since the floods. Garages first response was ‘wait and see if they go out when it dries’ - they haven’t. My car doesn’t really owe me anything at over 10 years old with over 200,000 miles on clock but having only ever needed a new battery and heating fan but will be upset if the floods have finished it off. 

I probably shouldn’t have driven through the floods, turns out the catalyst converter didn’t like it. 

27 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

oh no, so sorry to hear this Jane.

The garage don’t seem to think it will be an expensive job but maybe it’s something I shouldn’t make a habit of. Was determined to prove I could get to work and I did, warning lights came on during journey home. 

Yes, I don't think cats like being flooded, from what I recall (never had anything that fancy, myself) :( 

Anyway, I came on here to dump my local branch of Waitrose which, barely 24 hours after Christmas Day had ended, had Cadbury's Creme Eggs, Lindt Easter bunnies and eggs, and so on on its shelves.  It's not even as if Easter is early this year ...

1 hour ago, alison said:

Yes, I don't think cats like being flooded, from what I recall (never had anything that fancy, myself) :( 

Anyway, I came on here to dump my local branch of Waitrose which, barely 24 hours after Christmas Day had ended, had Cadbury's Creme Eggs, Lindt Easter bunnies and eggs, and so on on its shelves.  It's not even as if Easter is early this year ...

😂 @alison the last thing it can be described as is fancy. Garage used to describe it as ‘a shopping trolley with engine’ but stopped mocking it as the mileage as crept up beyond 200,000. I was so determined to get to work after my last adverse weather shift when I ended up being collected by a private fire engine/rescue truck and had to make conversation with a very kind volunteer driver for over an hour and then fall out of the cab when we arrived as I’m so short. Had better journeys.

I noticed mini eggs in Coop when looking for birthday treats btw Christmas and New Year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2020 at 17:54, alison said:

Ooh, I like a creme egg!

I don't mind the mini eggs, although given how much chocolate we got for Christmas I may still be eating that come Easter ...

Anyway, I'm also going to dump the shop chain whose inaccurate stock checker had me running all over London the other day in a wild goose chase ...

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yes, that too, except usually that turns out to be things like antivirus and the like, rather than Windows updates.  (Bitdefender, at least, allows you to define what programs are associated with "work", and is then supposed not to do downloads while you're working in such a way that they slow down your computer).

• 2 weeks later...

Putting this winter’s seemingly endless storms into room 101. We haven’t had the floods some have suffered but fed up now with the high winds and the disruption they cause. Off to work in an hour but been awake forever listening to the howling. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rural broadband  - a year after Openreach killed half my hedging trees putting in a fibre box on the road, we still have no access to fibre, have pathetic speeds off copper wire and every time it's windy like today, the connection repeatedly cuts o

• Like 2

On 27/02/2020 at 09:42, Fiz said:

Dr Alex Beeching for eviscerating our railways and cutting whole swathes of countryside off from the rest of Britain plus those who gave him the brief and voted it through. 

22 hours ago, alison said:

Any particular reason why you're bringing this up half a century after the event, Fiz?

Gosh, when I was young and if I was naughty I was threatened with being sent to see Dr Beeching he was considered such a bogeyman!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Rural broadband  - a year after Openreach killed half my hedging trees putting in a fibre box on the road, we still have no access to fibre, have pathetic speeds off copper wire and every time it's windy like today, the connection repeatedly cuts o

And I guess you’re a minute or two behind London time - irritating when booking opens at 9:00am London time. But so many benefits from living in the sticks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

In our area of rural Suffolk we have access to a faster service via a wireless provider. We were sceptical but it works, doesn’t cut out when it rains and the couple of times we’ve had problems they’ve responded promptly. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnS said:

And I guess you’re a minute or two behind London time - irritating when booking opens at 9:00am London time. But so many benefits from living in the sticks.

We're about thirty years behind London time!

I'm nominating offshore telephone helplines (or even onshore ones, sometimes) for inclusion in Room 101.  Having mistakenly paid a cheque into an account I closed a year ago, I have just spent a miserable half-hour listening to an operator delivering tommygun-style explanations for simple questions, like "where has the money gone?"  in fluent but heavily-accented English, having first, of course, gone through an interminable security check.  Why is it necessary to use my name so frequently?  I know who I am.  Why is it necessary to repeat the whole sequence of events each time I ask a new question, with profuse apologies for the inconvenience.  In fact I suppose I should be nominating AXA health care insurance for continuing to use such an antiquated method of settling claims as a cheque through the post, necessitating an inconvenient trip to one of the few bank branches still available in the area.