Room 101

taxi4ballet

I would bring a baby to the cinema and be very surprised if I wasn't allowed in. When I had young children I didn't have family who could babysit so if I went somewhere baby came too. I would of course sit near the exit and leave the show if the baby started crying or causing any disturbance, but if timed right a young baby will often sleep through. It sounds as if the man caused more distraction than the child anyway.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2013 at 01:02, alison said:

Okay, another one that really annoys me: people who vote in local elections according to the parties' national policies, rather than on the local issues they're supposed to be voting on.

Well, well, look what I was moaning about 6 years ago, in those more innocent times ...

Seriously, I understand the frustration, but ultimately local elections are about local services - or lack of them, these days :( - and treating them as a way of commenting on national politics may have unintended and possibly adverse effects on those very services.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, alison said:

Well, well, look what I was moaning about 6 years ago, in those more innocent times ...

Seriously, I understand the frustration, but ultimately local elections are about local services - or lack of them, these days :( - and treating them as a way of commenting on national politics may have unintended and possibly adverse effects on those very services.

Our local council ward didn't have all that much in the way of choice for those wanting to make a protest vote. Four candidates representing the two main parties - one of which has a complete stranglehold here anyway. No other parties even bothered to field a candidate. 

8 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

Our local council ward didn't have all that much in the way of choice for those wanting to make a protest vote. Four candidates representing the two main parties - one of which has a complete stranglehold here anyway. No other parties even bothered to field a candidate. 

You had twice as many candidates as our ward. Having had our postal notification vote cards for the European Parliament will wait to see what our options are. 

6 hours ago, Jane said:

You had twice as many candidates as our ward. Having had our postal notification vote cards for the European Parliament will wait to see what our options are. 

I think sometimes it depends on how many seats there are for the local council and if anybody is contesting them. We live in such a dyed-in-the-wool Tory area that there isn't much point in anybody else standing, because they know there's no point - they will never get in.

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

I think sometimes it depends on how many seats there are for the local council and if anybody is contesting them. We live in such a dyed-in-the-wool Tory area that there isn't much point in anybody else standing, because they know there's no point - they will never get in.

Snap 

One of our local councillors has been on the district council ever since I moved here over 30 years ago. I used to vote for him because I thought he was a decent chap and having him on the council would be a 'good thing' for the village.

I met him a couple of years ago and we had a chat. I asked him a trivial question about speed humps. His response was such that I vowed to never even speak to him again, let alone vote for him.

Just been to the mobile library where the chat was about the local elections and of course brexit. Of our two candidates one listed their address, a village about 7 miles from ours and the other stated that their address was within the district. The only other customer at library this morning didn’t vote as ‘never going to vote Conservative and Lib Dem one from miles away - Mid Sussex’. Mid Sussex approx 140 miles away, she totally mis read the ballot paper 🤪

Bizarre NHS funding rules for the elderly! My mother moved to live with us when she was 90. As she was finding it difficult to walk far she was given a lightweight wheelchair by NHS so we could fold it in the back of the car and take her out with us. Then last year she fell and broke her hip. Rehab managed to get her walking with a zimmer frame but she was not going to be safe with us as she would spend time alone, so she moved into a Retirement home where she is self funding.

The wheelchair went with her and has been very useful. However it got damaged, but the repair service said that as she has gone into a home she is no longer entitled to a NHS wheelchair!  She has paid NI and continues to pay tax on her income so this seems very unfair.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Jane I obviously need to go to specsavers too as I don't understand your post and have now read it three times!! 

What had the person misread? 

They had read that the candidate had an ‘address in mid Sussex’ and as not local wouldn’t vote for them. We live in Suffolk and it actually said ‘address in mid Suffolk’ 

• Like 1

At ROH and this ‘open up’ is getting through to the laptop freeloaders - hardly anywhere to sit for punters who have come for the performance and most that I could had not even bought a coffee! 😞

had to go outside in the cold - bah!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2019 at 06:55, Pas de Quatre said:

Bizarre NHS funding rules for the elderly! My mother moved to live with us when she was 90. As she was finding it difficult to walk far she was given a lightweight wheelchair by NHS so we could fold it in the back of the car and take her out with us. Then last year she fell and broke her hip. Rehab managed to get her walking with a zimmer frame but she was not going to be safe with us as she would spend time alone, so she moved into a Retirement home where she is self funding.

The wheelchair went with her and has been very useful. However it got damaged, but the repair service said that as she has gone into a home she is no longer entitled to a NHS wheelchair!  She has paid NI and continues to pay tax on her income so this seems very unfair.

Are they saying she has to pay for her own wheelchair?  That can't be right, surely?  Since when has your living accommodation determined what equipment you can get from the NHS?  

You know those nice "meal deal" offers you get from various supermarket chains?  Main, side, bottle of wine/chocs and dessert, that sort of thing?  On the hunt for something for a family celebration today, I was going to try one of those deals - but fortunately realised just in time that the chocs had a use by date of less than a couple of weeks!  I mean, you really can't give someone short-life chocs as a pressie, can you?  So instead I bought a different deal from somewhere else.  Looked at the "best before end" date on the (non-refrigerated) drink this evening - "BBE 05/2019"!  I'm feeling well and truly ripped off - so those two supermarkets can go in Room 101 :( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

You know those nice "meal deal" offers you get from various supermarket chains?  Main, side, bottle of wine/chocs and dessert, that sort of thing?  On the hunt for something for a family celebration today, I was going to try one of those deals - but fortunately realised just in time that the chocs had a use by date of less than a couple of weeks!  I mean, you really can't give someone short-life chocs as a pressie, can you?  So instead I bought a different deal from somewhere else.  Looked at the "best before end" date on the (non-refrigerated) drink this evening - "BBE 05/2019"!  I'm feeling well and truly ripped off - so those two supermarkets can go in Room 101 :( 

Really sympathise - Been there done that many times. I guess it's understandable  that some special deals are used to get rid of slow-moving/short-dated stock, and it's certainly good to pay particular attention to the dates. But often, when I've asked a store manager, they have allowed a substitution or have given a voucher to obtain a particular item later or from a different branch.... 

Edited by Yaffa
for clarity
  • Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 01:07, alison said:

Hence the phrase no such thing as a free lunch

"£$%"$£^"$£&^"£$ Yahoo! 

5.30 pm on a Friday, when I am going to be away from my half-dozen devices for days on end, it suddenly orders me to secure my email account by providing a new password.  That's the email account where I've had to change the password so many times because I forget all the ones I've used before, current one included, that I no longer have any memorable options left (and nor can I remember all the ones I've already used and therefore can't use again)!  I can't change it now, on my home computer, on Friday night, because I'll have forgotten whatever I used (numbers, letters, characters) by the next time I get into the office to do all the others - and of course good security practice is that you don't write it down, isn't it - and previous experience tells me that then I'll get it wrong and have to re-reset the blasted things all over again.  There's been no warning at all - and no indication of a security breach which might have justified it as far as I can see - nor is there an option to postpone until a more convenient time.  So suddenly I'm effectively locked out of my email - plus there's the minor matter of the 4 jobs I have to send off to clients before Monday :(   GRRRR!!!

8 hours ago, alison said:

"£$%"$£^"$£&^"£$ Yahoo! 

5.30 pm on a Friday, when I am going to be away from my half-dozen devices for days on end, it suddenly orders me to secure my email account by providing a new password.  That's the email account where I've had to change the password so many times because I forget all the ones I've used before, current one included, that I no longer have any memorable options left (and nor can I remember all the ones I've already used and therefore can't use again)!  I can't change it now, on my home computer, on Friday night, because I'll have forgotten whatever I used (numbers, letters, characters) by the next time I get into the office to do all the others - and of course good security practice is that you don't write it down, isn't it - and previous experience tells me that then I'll get it wrong and have to re-reset the blasted things all over again.  There's been no warning at all - and no indication of a security breach which might have justified it as far as I can see - nor is there an option to postpone until a more convenient time.  So suddenly I'm effectively locked out of my email - plus there's the minor matter of the 4 jobs I have to send off to clients before Monday :(   GRRRR!!!

I’ve just had the same with my gmail account and I’ve no idea why but unlike you mine is just a social account so no work deadlines looming. 

Gmail appears to be behaving itself, although that may be because I was accessing it via my Chromebook, where I'm already logged in with my Gmail address.

Yahoo misbehaving on all computers, so I suspect it's genuine, but I think I'll try and wait until Monday before changing anything, just in case it is something nasty - will give more time for any news of malware etc. to filter through to the general public.

On 03/06/2019 at 20:54, alison said:

It seems there is currently a Yahoo! outage over much of the UK, but I have a feeling my email address may have been marked as spam, too.  Fingers crossed that that's an end to it!

And I found the cause of my problems but not resolved. Where I work introduced new WiFi a few months ago which was initially fantastic as had no mobile signal but it typical NHS style have added various blocks to increasing number of websites - so my problems are not unique. Email from IT on Monday explaining the problems and how increasing numbers of us can no longer access WiFi from our mobile devices and the problems it’s causing and they are working to resolve it.