Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Chunkydog nearly ended up in room 101 this evening!  I've hurt my foot so I asked my niece if she would take her for a walk with her puppy Marley.  Blummin' Chunky ran off and disappeared.  Mad panic.  There was me hobbling to the fields at the bottom of the road to look for her and even my frail Mum was out looking for her.  Fortunately some other dog walkers found her up the road from where we live (got no idea how she got there unseen) and returned her to us.  I'm very relieved but we've "had words"!

• Like 3

Sadly, Taxi, this type of thing is not unusual!  I sadly broke my kindle the other day and dashed to my local supermarket to buy a new one.  Tried two models and picked up the box of my chosen one.  When I got to the counter to collect the kindle - they had none at all in stock of any type of kindle but could order me one for the following day!  What is the point of having the samples and the boxes out?????  I went elsewhere and got one! 

So did I, and a very good shredder it is too. Thank you Mr Tesco! :)

• Like 1

Someone should force-feed them the Highway Code - you know, the bit in which they're instructed to rid in single file on busy/country roads.  Better still, maybe knowledge of the relevant bits of the HC should be a requirement before joining any of these road-riding clubs.  I managed it for my Cycling Proficiency when I was still at junior school, so it's not as if it's hard, or anything.

Hah, it's not only drivers who take issue with 2 cyclists idling along next to each other - as another cyclist, you have a choice of crawling along behind them or throwing yourself into oncoming traffic in an attempt to overtake them. And seriously, what would would make you think cycling 2 abreast is a sane thing to on a busy London main road?

Cycling two-abreast - how about this one?

The other day, I was driving up a one-way-street and was disconcerted to see two mobility scooters side by side heading straight towards me in the middle of the road, like a scene from Ben Hur.

The 'drivers' of the mobility scooters...? Well, let's put it this way, they were three times as wide as the scooters they were sitting on :o

• Like 3

On the subject of cyclists I saw one t'other day cycling along on the pavement while texting. Fair play to him, if I tried that I'd end up crashing into a lamppost but I do like not being nearly run over by distracted cyclist when wandering up to the shops. 

Also can we put crippling heels in? I wouldn't have minded but they weren't even that high and they still made me want a bucket of ice for my feet after taking about 3 steps. 

• Like 1

I know there is a rule somewhere that cyclists should ride against the traffic, but personally I think that's even more dangerous.  The other day my husband went round a blind corner and came face to face with a cyclist coming at top speed towards us. Luckily his reactions are still fast and he managed to vere the car out of the way in time, but both of us had shaky legs after that :(

One of the few advantages(?) of being a Start-Rite H width (see different thread in Doing Dance, I think it was) is that you have absolutely no possibility of squeezing your feet into crippling heels in the first place :)

• Like 1

I never wore stilletos, but I did wear small heeled shoes. I remember one day trying to get with my niece to a ballet matinee at the Opera House and the tube took forever. We literally ran all the way from Trafalgar Square to Covent Garden and those wretched heels kept catching in the cobblestones. I was very tempted to take them off, but instead ran on demi-pointe. I remember huffing and puffing and my niece encouraging me - "Come on, Auntie, you can do it!". We flew in just as they were closing the doors! Luckily our seats were in the stalls at the end of a row, but we spent the first few minutes of the Prologue (It was Australian Ballet in Sleeping Beauty - now how do I remember that after all these years?) hyper-ventilating to the undoubted annoyance of the people sitting around us!

• Like 1

I know there is a rule somewhere that cyclists should ride against the traffic, but personally I think that's even more dangerous.  The other day my husband went round a blind corner and came face to face with a cyclist coming at top speed towards us. Luckily his reactions are still fast and he managed to vere the car out of the way in time, but both of us had shaky legs after that :(

When on earth did that become a rule? I knew you walked against traffic so you can see what's coming but I used to horse-ride and we always rode with the traffic and I would assume the same rule applied to cyclists.

Actually even walking you still have to use common sense as although its a general guide to walk towards the oncoming traffic

So on the right side of the road on small country Lanes this could get you killed!!

I always criss cross so the drivers have the best chance to see me round bends and such.

I know there is a rule somewhere that cyclists should ride against the traffic, 

Ah, so this explains why they think it's all right to ride the wrong way up one-way streets...  and through red traffic lights... and on the pavements... :wacko:

I checked with DH (a former driving instructor) & he says they should cycle with traffic not against.

• Like 1

Ah, so this explains why they think it's all right to ride the wrong way up one-way streets...  and through red traffic lights... and on the pavements... :wacko:

I checked with DH (a former driving instructor) & he says they should cycle with traffic not against.

All the while texting and listening to music through headphones!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Big thumbs down to the new VAX television ad.

Lovely film of little children wishing for chocolate cake, cuddly toys and snowflakes - and their wishes all come true, Ahhhh sweet.

Cue dreamy-looking woman. What's she dreaming of?

A NEW VACUUM CLEANER. 

I've never met a woman yet that dreams of a new vacuum cleaner!

My pet hates are

People who shop on a weekend when they have all week to do it and make it harder for me as a full time working mum to run round the supermarket.  I have threatened my retired parents on this topic, so they now always shop on a Thursday morning.

People who spit.  It's repulsive

Swearing - shows lack of imagination and lingustic skills

Overt public displays of affection - get a room

You must be very persuasive Huddsballetmum!!

My parents would have never let me tell them when to do their shopping!

Although I can see your point of view now as a retired person myself I still do shopping at weekend quite often.....usually Sundays....even though its one of the worst days to get what you want.

When I envisaged being retired I could have sworn I'd have time to shop in the week but with all the things going on I often don't have time to go in the week either.....and that's between the two of us of course!

I do try to avoid banks between 12 and 2....lunch hour...as that used to annoy me when I was working but the big weekly shop takes time especially as we have a 25 min drive to our favoured supermarket complex etc so often cannot be fitted into a week day!

Sorry!!

• Like 2

You must be very persuasive Huddsballetmum!!

My parents would have never let me tell them when to do their shopping!

Although I can see your point of view now as a retired person myself I still do shopping at weekend quite often.....usually Sundays....even though its one of the worst days to get what you want.

When I envisaged being retired I could have sworn I'd have time to shop in the week but with all the things going on I often don't have time to go in the week either.....and that's between the two of us of course!

I do try to avoid banks between 12 and 2....lunch hour...as that used to annoy me when I was working but the big weekly shop takes time especially as we have a 25 min drive to our favoured supermarket complex etc so often cannot be fitted into a week day!

Sorry!!

I used to work in a bank - the reason the queues are so long at lunchtime is..... bank clerks have a lunch hour too!!!

And... every day I see a bunch of senior folk in an orderly queue outside the post office before it opens - er... why? 

I used to work in a bank - the reason the queues are so long at lunchtime is..... bank clerks have a lunch hour too!!!

Just like the chemist in the town centre: they have a sign up saying they can't dispense medicines between 1 and 2 because the pharmacist is at lunch.  All very well, but haven't they heard of customer service?  Most people have to take their lunch hours between 1 and 2 and want to get things done: is there any reason he couldn't take his between noon and 1, perhaps?

Well I used to take my luch 12-1230 so I would have been pretty cheesed off if he had taken his lunch then!

There used to be a lovely art/card shop on Pulteney Bridge in Bath.  I had travelled to Bath the evening before for a meeting and on wandering into town saw a card that would be perfect for a friend's birthday in the window.  According to the sign in the window the shop opened at 0930 so  it was just doable.  The owner turned up at 0945 and was mortified that I had been waiting that long.

As an aside the cards were Prime Art.  The African landscape cards were widely available but not the dance-related ones.

My comment about the bank wasn't about bank queues!! It referred back to Old People doing their shopping at the wrong time!

I meant that as an old person myself I try to avoid banks in the lunch hour as I know people who work can only go then and it used to annoy me to see too many retired people in the queue then!!

However I'm obviously a naughty old person for sometimes doing shopping at the week end!"

Would like to point out that many grannies and grand dads are also busy involved in child care these days in the week so they may have to shop at week ends as well!!

I am an old person, well beyond pensionable age, but I work full time with a three hour per day commute on top, I don't like swearing either but if someone came up to me in the supermarket at the weekend and suggested I shouldn't be shopping then, I would tell them to **** off. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...