Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'...> and what are they [crane flies] doing hatching at this time of year anyway - they're supposed to be out around September-ish.<...'

Yes, well my Japanese Anenomes are not supposed to be out until 'around September' either, but they've been in bud for about  a fortnight already.

It's the end of the world, I tell you...we're all doomed, doomed!

• Like 6

I haven't seen many wasps this year (touch wood it stays that way).  I've seen lots of bees though, which is good!

Ah, but are they the right sort of bees?  I've seen loads of bumblebees, but not sure about honey bees. 

Even more mysterious than the sock that goes missing at some point between the washing and the drying is the sock which suddenly turns up months later - and we have a new washer. Maybe the new washer layed down the law and told the dryer there will be no more socknapping.

• Like 4

People who have bonfires in this weather!!!! There is a really strong smell of smoke when I open my windows and there has been for over 3 hours now and my house is at least 30 houses and the park away from the culprits.  So really unpleasant smell or a really hot house is the choice tonight for about half my village.  And yes it is definitely a garden bonfire.

• Like 1

I thought garden bonfires were illegal nowadays.

We have a smell of fires in our lounge - we think it is because the sun is so hot and it is heating up the chimney and thus the smell.  It's spoilt my lovely display in the fireplace as I've had to take the newspaper out I'd stuffed up the chimney to stop the soot dropping down (and the draught) and so no display at the moment just an empty grate :(  It is surprising how much soot does come down with the rain as there is some kind of cowl thing spinning round up there - not sure what it is, was all here when we moved in.  Perhaps I need to get the sweep in earlier this year?

I was wondering what the rules were about garden ones.....on the allotment there are all sorts of rules governing bonfires but wasn't sure what applies to gardens.

I suppose with the chimney sweep better check all is safe etc with the chimney.....how often do they have to be cleaned? Don't want the house catching fire in the winter!! :(

I have the chimney swept every year - some people have said they leave it for 2 years but as I'm not that au fait with this open fire lark I've had it done every year since we came here.  I usually leave it until later in the year as I like it done just before I start the fires again but it can get difficult to get a sweep - maybe he'll charge less if I get it done early :)  If I order enough bags of coal (over 11 I think), order an odd number of bags (don't ask me why, are they pulling my leg?) and have it delivered during June and July then I get it cheaper.  Problem is there is no room in the garage at the moment - not even for 11 bags of coal!

Don't start me on garages!! My partner is "sorting the garage out" at the mo as we have a large object arriving next week .....something with a name like band-saw....no idea what it is just that it is BIG. Anyway this means half the garage is now in the "spare/music/yoga/relax room ..... And no longer in the garage.....and will it ever get back there is my gripe. I suppose I can practice my bourrees round the boxes!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if I spot another Transport for London "Countdown" indicator warning me about the possible "affects" of the mass bike ride this weekend, I may not be responsible for my actions.  Doesn't anybody teach people how to spell properly in this day and age?

• Like 4

Thanks for that Lottie.  Thankfully it is not a regular occurrence but I guess the police could have been called in this instance as the smoke was very thick across 2 roads and visibility was definitely affected in the immediate area of said bonfire.

You would probably be justified in calling the fire brigade then...

Is the Room 101 bike shed full yet?

I hope not, because there's another couple to go in there, complete with the two lycra-clad morons who were riding two-abreast at 25 miles an hour this morning on a busy road, and refusing to let anyone overtake. :angry: 

• Like 2

Taxi - the cycling room is actually a bottomless pit so it will never be filled no matter how many we throw into it!

At the bottom of our road there is a one-way bridge going over the railway.  If cyclists want to be considered road users, why is it acceptable for them to whizz the wrong way over the bridge at very great speed?  Surely they should use the same highway code as the rest of us.   Oh - I forgot - they feel entitled to use roads and pavements at will depending on their whim!

• Like 4

The ones who annoy me are those going around at night with no lights whatsoever. It's bad enough when it's kids doing it but when you see fully grown middle age person with no lights I always want to slow down and yell out of the window at them!! People don't seem to realise how dangerous this is but it's more likely a grown up also drives a car so should know better about this!

Is the Room 101 bike shed full yet?

I hope not, because there's another couple to go in there, complete with the two lycra-clad morons who were riding two-abreast at 25 miles an hour this morning on a busy road, and refusing to let anyone overtake. :angry: 

or the 16-20, maybe more lycra clad morons riding 2 and 3 abreast from village to village on relatively twisty country roads near us last week refusing to narrow or break the group up meaning that I had to follow behind them through two separate villages all the way to dd's tap class since there was no way at all to safely overtake when it was impossible to see to the front of the group to ascertain just how far ahead it stretched! As a cyclist myself (occasionally) I try to be a considerate driver but....aaarh!

Edited by along for the ride mum

Someone should force-feed them the Highway Code - you know, the bit in which they're instructed to rid in single file on busy/country roads.  Better still, maybe knowledge of the relevant bits of the HC should be a requirement before joining any of these road-riding clubs.  I managed it for my Cycling Proficiency when I was still at junior school, so it's not as if it's hard, or anything.

• Like 2

They do it still at Primary School. I suspect though that there is then a rather large gap between next going on a bike for some hence rules forgotten!! Though drivers who cycle should know the Highway Code.

Actually to stop denigrating cyclists for a bit.....I didn't take my driving test till I was 33 and learned in and then drove around London for some years after.

About a month after I past my test I was driving out of London on the A3 that bit downhill from Putney where the road suddenly gets wider and I put my foot down(used to be a 40mph there) was doing about 40 but wanted to go faster and was driving too close really to driver in front. Suddenly this police bike from out of nowhere signalled me to pull over by the cemetery gates at the bottom and then asked me the stopping distance for 40mph(no doubt expecting no driver really to remember this) but muggins here feeling all superior gave him the right distance. He must have been a bit gobsmacked but quick as you like replied "Well why weren't you keeping that distance(he quoted it back at me) between you and the car in front then". He had me whatever I had answered! On this occasion I was let off with a warning but whenever I drove that rode afterwards I was rigid with speed limit and distances etc but cursing other drivers who weren't!!

• Like 1

What makes me obey the speed limit are two things. I learned to drive so I could take my daughters to a better ballet school in Cambridge. They are the most precious things in our lives so I was always careful. If that was enough of a reminder, there was a daily one on the A10. Two speeding, drunk drivers racing down the road were responsible from killing two darling little girls from our church. One of them was my dd's church friend and peer. I can never forget.

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Argos.

I've decided to buy a decent shredder, as I'm having a massive clearout so I had a look on their website and chose one, after carefully reading all the reviews etc. it seemed just the job and ideal for what I need.

So, I checked for stock availability...Unavailable for home delivery, out of stock.

Ah, I thought, I'll pop along to my local branch (we have 4 or 5 reasonably near) so checked availability online. Out of stock in nearest 10 branches. Checked my brother-in-law's postcode who lives the other side of the country, but I'm seeing him soon. Out of stock in his area as well.

OK Mr Argos - what's the point of advertising the blasted thing on your website if you don't have any??? :angry:  :angry:  :angry: 

• Like 2

Sadly, Taxi, this type of thing is not unusual!  I sadly broke my kindle the other day and dashed to my local supermarket to buy a new one.  Tried two models and picked up the box of my chosen one.  When I got to the counter to collect the kindle - they had none at all in stock of any type of kindle but could order me one for the following day!  What is the point of having the samples and the boxes out?????  I went elsewhere and got one! 

• Like 1