Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Not that I particularly wanted to revive this thread, but ...

Mums (and occasionally dads, let's be fair) with pushchairs on buses who totally ignore the social niceties:

I was on a double-decker the other day, sitting in the seat facing the wheelchair space behind the stairs, feet on the ground and by no means sticking out particularly.  Certainly there was ample room to manoeuvre a buggy into the wheelchair space.  So why did the mum in question feel it necessary to run the buggy - hard - over not just my toes, but my entire instep.  Twice?  I can still feel the bruising.  If I *was* in her way, she could simply have said "excuse me".

That's not to mention the several times I've seen people in wheelchairs being treated as completely inanimate objects by buggy owners.  Apparently the fact that their feet have the temerity to protrude past the end of the wheelchair's footplates is quite enough to justify trying to slice their toes off (or just crush them) with any appropriate part of the buggy,  The thought that there might not actually be enough room to put an unfolded buggy in the wheelchair space along with a wheelchair just doesn't seem to occur to them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's the one Anjuli!  It is soooooo irritating when drivers do not bother to indicate and can be very dangerous.  I had to do an emergency stop a couple of months back when a car who must have been in the wrong filter lane suddenly decided he could cut in front of me without warning.

Another bugbear of mine is driver who only have one headlight working - and it always seems to be set on full beam.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I had a friend who, when someone failed to use the direction signal, would pull up alongside and say:  "You might want to fix your left/right signal - it's not working - before an officer stops you and gives you a warning."

I thought that was very clever and got the point across without actually saying anything nasty - and even seeming to be helpful!.

However, - I wouldn't recommend it. No telling what kind of insane response one might get.  But it was creative.

By the way...."filter lane" - interesting.  I think we would call that a "merge lane" or an "exit lane/ramp" or "entrance merge/ramp" or even a "freeway split lane" where the freeway splits into two and  one decides to go here or there or (based on one's driving skills) "hither and yon."   Just kidding.  No matter what it is called the most tangled mass of ramps/merges/splits, etc., is in Los Angeles where several interstate and local freeways come together.  I usually just close my eyes and pray.  Of course, I'm not driving - I would NEVER drive anywhere near Los Angeles.  I don't even like thinking about it.

• Like 2

Last time I said that to a taxi driver I got a mouthful of abuse for my pains!

When I mentioned the filter lane I meant (although it wasn't a freeway - if that is a motorway?) the road was splitting in two.

I would call an "entrance merge/ramp" a slip road.

For me, a merge lane is where, eg, 3 lanes merge into 2.  I particularly hate merge lanes around traffic lights.  A couple of weeks ago a car came hurtling past me in the merge lane and I thought he was taking a bit of a chance trying to get past me.  He did not stop at trying to get past me, he also nearly passed the lorry in front me me - the lorry had to veer into the inside lane to avoid him and the car in the inside lane had to brake very sharply to avoid going in to the back of the lorry!

Two nations divided by a common language!

People who hang around doctor's waiting rooms when they don't have an appointment.  Yesterday there were 2 ladies with a double pushchair and a single pushchair and thus 3 children.  The lady with one child actually had an appointment, the other lady with 2 children who ran all round the surgery was just there with the first lady.  Then there was the mother and father with a small baby with yet another pushchair and then suddenly the grandma, auntie and some other randam child turned up to sit and wait with them! Last place I ever want to be is a doctor's surgery yet they willing went and sat there!

Fortunately I managed to get a seat as I seem to be have vertigo at the moment!  Very unpleasant

It was I believe mentioned in passing, but the mobile phone mania is one that gets my goat!  People sit in restaurants at the same table, but talk loudly (of course) on their mobiles to other people at the same time, or they walk along the street talking loudly or wait in queues talking loudly or cross streets without looking because they're talking loudly on their mobiles, but the worst one is the cars that pootle along in the middle lane and when you eventually manage to pass them, you can see they are texting whilst driving!   :angry:

• Like 1

Wearing headphones while either cycling or driving is illegal in California.

It is also illegal to be holding a cell phone while driving is illegal.  I do believe it is ok to have the cell phone on a handset - but one cannot be texting or calling while driving. 

Of course, this doesn't stop pedestrians.

When I was a child only old ladies walked around seemingly talking to themselves.  Now that I am old - I am in good company as all the younger people have joined me.

• Like 2

Its illegal to be on a cell phone while driving in the UK too but it doesn't stop people.

Add to my hates - joggers wearing headphones and running with their backs to traffic so that they can't see you either.  People on horses riding 2 or 3 abreast so that they can chat, making it impossible to safey overtake and last but not least when the hunt comes off the fields and onto the country lane so you have loads of horses and masses of little dogs running around in front and behind you.  I may sound like an impatient driver - I'm not but last time the hunt joined the road I was on it took 20 minutes (and was terrifying) before the cars caught up in the middle were able to drive away.

• Like 1

Re. Porthesia's posting about people in doctors' waiting-rooms, I couldn't agree more.  Over the last year I've had to attend a local A&E department a few times  (leg-in-plaster syndrome..) and I've seen apparently entire families, including grandparents,  spending hours there  waiting while one of their numbers gets seen to. - they appear to see it as an enjoyable excursion!

• Like 3

If you`re in a cafe or restaurant, and you`ve got a mouthful of food or drink, when a waiter/ress walks past and asks if everything is alright. You have to just nod and grunt like a mad thing.Two minutes later, a different one comes along and asks you the same thing [while you`re stuffing your face again.].!!!!

• Like 5

Even worse than standing chatting in shop doorways is people standing and smoking in them, because legally they are outside the shop and can smoke. I won't go into the shop if I have to hold my breath in order to pass through the smoke.

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 2