Room 101

taxi4ballet

Well of course Mary I agree that NHS staff are usually hard working stars. 

But in my view some receptionists do get a bit above themselves .....especially as they don't seem to distinguish between those who turn up all the time for a cough and those who rarely visit a doctor or who are more chronically ill.

Also in my view it's between the Doctor or Nurse and oneself what ones problem is .....the Receptionist should not be discussing symptoms with patients ....luckily this doesn't happen at my local GP but I have  met this in the past.

Of course nobody is really going to throw a brick through the GP's window but it would be dishonest to not admit one feels like this or similar at times......it's just  a way of someone expressing certain often very legitimate frustrations at the system on occasions. 

• Like 2

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/04/2019 at 13:12, Jan McNulty said:

Many years ago (while I was on holiday) my late Mum, who was seriously anaemic, suffered a bad do of diarrhoea for about 3 days before she rang the surgery.  The receptionist asked for her symptoms and without asking her name or without any medical qualifications she then told my Mum that the surgery didn't give appointments to people with diarrhoea and she should go to the pharmacist.  My Mum did, explained her symptoms and what had happened.  The pharmacist was horrified that she had been refused an appointment but gave her some off-the-shelf medication and told her if she was no better in 3 days she had to insist on an appointment.  Three days later, the day I was due home, my Mum rang the surgery for an appointment.  She went through the same rigamarole again but said she had done as instructed and was now asking for an appointment on the basis of the pharmacist's instructions.

Of course, there weren't any appointments but the receptionist begrudgingly said she would get a doctor to speak to my Mum on the phone.  The doctor, knowing my Mum's medical history, apologised and said there was a known bacterial infection doing the rounds.  My Mum's symptom's matched those of the bug.  He said he would give her a prescription for antibiotics but could someone come and collect it.  My Mum asked me because she was scared what my Dad would do or say if he went to collect it!  So I went and asked for the prescription.  When I said the name, it was THROWN at me.

In those days we were scared to complain in case we were dropped from the surgery as there was a shortage of doctors in our area at the time.

Suffice to say I have refused to discuss my symptoms with a receptionist since then and I advise others to do the same.  I have to say that the receptionists at my surgery have improved since then.

12 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Well of course Mary I agree that NHS staff are usually hard working stars. 

But in my view some receptionists do get a bit above themselves .....especially as they don't seem to distinguish between those who turn up all the time for a cough and those who rarely visit a doctor or who are more chronically ill.

Also in my view it's between the Doctor or Nurse and oneself what ones problem is .....the Receptionist should not be discussing symptoms with patients ....luckily this doesn't happen at my local GP but I have  met this in the past.

Of course nobody is really going to throw a brick through the GP's window but it would be dishonest to not admit one feels like this or similar at times......it's just  a way of someone expressing certain often very legitimate frustrations at the system on occasions. 

The receptionists at my GP practice are all very helpful, but I really can't accept that someone who is not medically trained is able to determine which member of the health care team  is best suited to deal with any particular symptoms. I rarely attend the surgery and usually only because I've been summoned for some routine check up or test, so when I think I need an appointment, I really need an appointment and it's very frustrating having to battle through the Reception filter system.

• Like 4

I’ve had a bad time this week with my G.P practice too. I had DVT as a result of the broken knee and it got worse so the consultant I saw about the break sent me back into A&E. I was possibly developing a pulmonary embolism so I was sent for a complicated radioactive lung Xray. No embolism, thank goodness but you need to get your G.P to alter your anticoagulant dosage and we will email them. Great! However I started on Monday to chase up the new prescription. I did not get until 5.30 yesterday afternoon despite numerous hospital phone calls and emails and surgery phone calls. They won’t ring for hospital results or anything so I had to, despite battling DVT and the cough and cold from hell (probably A&E actually). They are less use than a chocolate teapot. We are thinking about changing practices but I really don’t know if a different one would be any better. They are perfectly polite but utterly incompetent.

sorry to hear of your troubles Fiz, I hope you are soon recovered - both cough and cold and your knee.

I quite agree that some receptionists seem to think they know it all and some are just unhelpful. DD2 had surgery recently and took a letter from the hospital home with her to get an appointment at her doctors practice for stitches to be removed 2 weeks later. Not only did she have to battle to get an appointment in the first place - earliest they gave her was 2 days past the 2 weeks - but then they texted her 2 hours before said appointment and cancelled it - no explanation or alternative appointment. So another phone call - another 3 weeks they said - luckily DD persisted and they managed to get her an appointment at a partner practice for the next day - I say luckily because the skin had already healed over the knots! oh and lets not forget that this partner practice was not in DD's university town but in an outlying village and as a student with no car it was not easy to get to (multiple buses in an area she did not know)

I could also add my own experience at our local practice - rang up for blood test results as requested and receptionist told me all normal,  no need to see the doctor. I already had a follow up appointment with him as tests were part of an ongoing investigation - blood test results were far from normal and he was really cross the receptionist had told me not to go back.  I doubt it was just down to that incident but she didn't work there much longer

Edited by 2dancersmum
added text

Wow! They are so high handed, aren’t they? I hope your poor dd is making a good recovery. Thank you for your kindness. My knee is mended but there’s still lots of bruising and swelling from the initial point of impact. The consultant thinks I twisted as I landed on the pavement. The DVT waxes and wanes. I have nicknamed the pain Jafar from where he turns into a curved fanged serpent at the end of the Aladdin film. The cold and cough are just a flipping nuisance but at least I no longer sound like a barking seal! 😂 

Medical receptionists, especially in GP surgeries, have long had a poor reputation.  I have often found them rude and unfriendly.  Considering they are the first point of contact when someone is unwell, this attitude is unacceptable.  Our local surgery had many complaints about this, and they must have listened and given some training, because things have improved a lot in the past few years.  Luckily I haven't had to go to the doctor for two years, so  I hope the trend is continuing.  If not, I will complain again.  WE are paying THEM, after all.

A GP I used to know had a cartoon on the wall above his desk.  It was of a man sitting in front of a doctor, and the latter was saying "so what seems to be the trouble?", and the reply from the man was "nothing....I just wanted to see if I could get past your receptionists."   I told the GP that I could really relate to that, and he said so could everyone else, that's why he put it up there!

• Like 5

That sounds awful Taxi4ballet....I just don't understand why people do this...poor horse. 

On a lighter note there's a very good cartoon in the Times today with May and Tiger Roll( the winning horse) sitting either side of a table looking at a Brexit Deal  document and May saying " Well you're the expert Tiger Roll how do we get this over the line" 

That's certainly a long wait for a physio appointment presumably you have had to heal yourself by now! 

I must admit my current Medical Practice or Centre is very good both where Doctors and Receptionists are concerned.

My previous practice closed when the GP retired and although I was happy with the Doctor the receptionist could be a bit of a nightmare 

It was only a tiny waiting room and she always spoke in a loud voice so everybody waiting could hear and especially when she was on the phone. She was always seemingly trying to gauge whether you needed to see the Doctor or not but I found this annoying as I hardly ever go to the Doctors ( luckily) so when I do go I know I need to go or I wouldn't be trying to make n appointment!! 

On 05/04/2019 at 20:48, taxi4ballet said:

On another medical note, I am still waiting for the letter arranging an appointment to see a physio. The GP told me I might have to wait a few weeks. I'm still waiting. How long have I been waiting? Since last June.

That sounds grim Taxi. The only thing our local GP services seems to have right at the moment (if you have internet access) is that you have to self refer for physio and appointments do seem to come through quickly. 

I have no issue with horseracing in general - horses can and do break a leg just mucking around and galloping about on their own in a field. A friend of mine lost one in just that way. What I do object to is perverted people who get some sort of 'isn't-it-awful' gratification from posting pictures of a dying horse on FB that you come across completely without warning. One person (who is now thoroughly unfriended) also has previous form for posting pictures showing the bodies of people killed in terrorist attacks, and of big game hunters proudly standing by their latest slaughtered giraffe or whatever.  It is totally unnecessary and not what I want to be seeing.

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

I have no issue with horseracing in general - horses can and do break a leg just mucking around and galloping about on their own in a field.

Of course.  But the Grand National does have a very poor record with regard to horse deaths.

1 hour ago, alison said:

Of course.  But the Grand National does have a very poor record with regard to horse deaths.

the sad death of a horse in this year's National was the first since 2012. And that was caused by a horse falling in front of it and they tangled legs, which caused the break. Horses can't recover with lying down (bed rest, as it were, with a cast, like humans can) so to spare them the agony, they are put to sleep. In the modern era, the fences have been modified so 'easier' to jump, and the quality of the horses taking part has much improved, both of which factors reduce fallers, and jockeys under instructions to pull up tired horses when they are no longer competitive 

7 hours ago, alison said:

5 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

the sad death of a horse in this year's National was the first since 2012. And that was caused by a horse falling in front of it and they tangled legs, which caused the break. Horses can't recover with lying down (bed rest, as it were, with a cast, like humans can) so to spare them the agony, they are put to sleep. In the modern era, the fences have been modified so 'easier' to jump, and the quality of the horses taking part has much improved, both of which factors reduce fallers, and jockeys under instructions to pull up tired horses when they are no longer competitive 

Two died at the meeting the day before.

Sadly, yes but I think both were on the Mildmay course, and one broke it’s leg galloping on the flat between obstacles (perhaps by putting a foot in a hole). It’s sad for us racing fans when this happens, but imagine how bereft the stable staff are

Bit late to the GP Receptionist conversation with this one, but I've just had the joy of an emergency Cardiologist appointment, 24 hour ECG monitoring and going for an Echo later this week- despite our wonderful Practice receptionist telling me, in her usual very curt manner, that no further action was needed following an initial exploratory ECG 8 WEEKS ago.

Thankfully my GP - who had been out of the surgery for that period of time - insisted on reviewing my results on his return and called me in for an urgent appointment on Friday.  Despite there being a very large message on the front screen of my records stating that those initial ECG results were to be reviewed by a GP in his absence.

On the positive side though my Cardiologist does believe that its not anything serious - I have a very irregular 3rd beat on every ECG print out and I just need to be very aware that this coupled with my ridiculously low BP will increase my likelihood to pass out if I do have any severe flu/infection instances in the future. 

So my GP has updated my records (again, let's see if anyone takes note of it!) to say that IF I call to see a doctor with any of the above I do need to be given an appointment as I will probably need an antibiotic to ensure I don't pass out again.

This all started when I passed on our a flight to a work meeting - came to after 10 minutes, sitting at the back of the aircraft with an oxygen mask on.  I'd only had a bad cough for 5-6 weeks at that time - but I would never have previously even thought of going to the GP with a 'cough', apparently though it was 'just' a cough, it was a severe chest infection.  Maybe if I'd listened to family/friends and had taken a few days off work then it might not have been so extreme - but who's got time for that!!!  Anyway my knuckles have been well and truly rapped and I will do as I'm told in the future (possibly!  when I've got time!). :D

Hope both you ballet taxi and AnneMarriott are feeling much better very soon.

Still medical but think I will put extreme Health and Safety into 101

I went for a stress exercise test ( as part of a general cardio investigation) and when I warned the two very young nurses monitoring the test that I might ( but hoped not) suddenly pass out they said well if you do we 're not allowed to catch you. It was on a large treadmill type machine ....which only they could control.... so I just said okay I'll just hang onto the bars like grim death then if I feel I'm going......I was more worried about falling and hitting my newly recovered knee really. 

I just thought it was strange that in a hospital you would just be allowed to fall down with no support from TWO nurses!! 

Anyway luckily for me nothing happened ....looks more and more like some form of weird panic attacks I've been having .....though none for over four months now....but good to know  ones heart is healthy after all the various tests.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ballettaxi said:

I'd only had a bad cough for 5-6 weeks at that time - but I would never have previously even thought of going to the GP with a 'cough', apparently though it was 'just' a cough, it was a severe chest infection. 

That is very poor.  And not wanting to add to the knuckle-rapping :) , but they do tell you to see a doctor if a cough isn't clearing after 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Clients who suddenly decide, just before Easter, that actually, it'd be really good if you could get that piece you'd scheduled in for the week after to them before Easter so they can look at it over the break :( Also clients who've only just realized that it's Easter and dump loads of urgent work on you, and so on, and so forth.  I'm actually quite glad there are no Royal Ballet/ENB etc. performances on this week, although I shall be annoyed if I have to miss the Ballet Association tonight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

People who demand to know why I STILL haven't fixed the software so that they can receive mails from Mr. X... and I have to gently explain that I have yet to find software that delivers messages that were not sent 🙂. Actually these days I often add this nice clip from Keeping up Appearances: 

• Like 2

yet another cinema going rant.

Recently went to see the latest Avengers film. I like to go mid afternoon if possible (avoiding school children and their lack of attention/phones/texts/weak bladders and non-stop rustling). BUT - just before the off, a couple came in with a child - no, baby - pram and all! Now fortunately the baby was generally fairly well behaved and quiet (even though its a long film), and they sat in the corner of the room - but the chap seemed to spend an awful lot of time on a very brightly lit phone (until asked to stop, when he just dimmed it) which I kept catching in the corner of my eye. After a while, and film got going properly, he did put it away thank goodness. 

In short - who brings a baby to a cinema show? And how the heck did the cinema staff let them?? 

Well as you observed the baby was well behaved 😇

Hopefully if it had started screaming one of them would have taken it outside but you never know these days ....more and more , people seem to treat public spaces as their own living room at home!