Room 101

taxi4ballet

1 hour ago, Fiz said:

The people who made a Facebook friend and her little autistic son cry by saying that he was a freak and shouldn’t be allowed in public. 😡

That's truly disgusting Fiz.  I hope your FB friend reported and blocked this person (after letting everyone know what a horrible individual they are).

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Penalty Charge Notice, grrrrrrrr.

I recently went to Beverley, a town in East Yorkshire. I needed a couple of hours parking, so obviously skipped the short stay car parks and looked for a medium stay one. I parked up in the medium stay car park, and went to the machine which was only 5m away. I paid £3 for 2 hours parking, and returned 10 minutes before the time elapsed, only to find a ticket on my windscreen. To cut a long story short, I appealed the fine, but it was rejected. The reason being, I hadn't used the correct machine, although it was the same price for parking if I'd gone in the long stay park. I checked,  and it does state in very small letters on the machine, that tickets are not transferrable between the medium stay and the long stay, but there is no barrier between the parks and ticket machines, just markings on the ground. It must be a very good earner for the council, as there was two other people waiting after me to pay, parked more or less next to my car. Some would argue we all should read the terms and conditions meticulously first, but most of us park up, go to the nearest machine and pay, then do what you have to do. 

• Like 3

That would get my blood pressure up to V!

I want to put in room 101 those people who are arguing for Parliament to relax the rule on vaping ...eg allow it on buses etc!!

NOOOO! 

i appreciate these things help people give up the cigarettes but vaping to my mind is very unhygienic ....especially in enclose spaces like a bus! They often have horrible smells and the person vapes out much more and further than with ordinary smoke ( just stand next to someone in a pub) in reality I feel they are blowing any germs they may have over quite a wide area ....I almost dislike them as much as cigarette smoke which seems to stay in a more confined area at least. 

I really hope they don't allow them into restaurants as initially people did use them there and then I think that was stopped. 

No vaping inside please or they will be allowed in theatre auditoriums before long. 

No doubt the MP's wanting this change have just taken out some shares in a vaping company!!! 

• Like 4

I want to put in all those banks, building societies et al who leap to increase mortgage rates the minute an increase in bank base rate is announced, yet hang around for weeks before deciding whether to condescend to increase savings rates by even a fraction of the amount!  Looking at you - well, virtually every bank and building soc in the country, now I come to think of it, so no point in naming names.

Yes, although to be fair, mortgages are very strictly defined in terms of what the customer signs up to regarding the effect of a base rate change (most of mine is on a fix so not an issue at the moment) whereas unless a savings account is designated as a tracker of some kind, which is less usual, there's no obligation for the account's "variable rate" to respond immediately.

• Like 1

You're claiming trackers are supposed to response immediately, then?  I rang a building soc. today which is running a recorded message that the tracker increase will take place on the first day of the month following the interest rate rise.

On 17/08/2018 at 14:03, LinMM said:

That would get my blood pressure up to V!

I want to put in room 101 those people who are arguing for Parliament to relax the rule on vaping ...eg allow it on buses etc!!

NOOOO! 

i appreciate these things help people give up the cigarettes but vaping to my mind is very unhygienic ....especially in enclose spaces like a bus! They often have horrible smells and the person vapes out much more and further than with ordinary smoke ( just stand next to someone in a pub) in reality I feel they are blowing any germs they may have over quite a wide area ....I almost dislike them as much as cigarette smoke which seems to stay in a more confined area at least. 

I agree, the vape is awful and really builds up in a confined space. I was at a petrol station at our local Sainsbury's earlier in the year and as I was waiting to pay I glanced back at the pumps to check I had my pump number right. I was horrified to see a car with clouds of 'smoke' billowing out by one of the pumps. The cashiers were also alarmed, as you could hardly see the car and we initially thought the car was on fire. Then we saw the driver emerging from the fog with his e-cigarette and realised it was just his vape escaping when he opened the door. He must have been driving with the window up so it had built up in the car. Goodness knows how he could see anything.

• Like 2

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:26, alison said:

I want to put in all those banks, building societies et al who leap to increase mortgage rates the minute an increase in bank base rate is announced, yet hang around for weeks before deciding whether to condescend to increase savings rates by even a fraction of the amount!  Looking at you - well, virtually every bank and building soc in the country, now I come to think of it, so no point in naming names.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/savings/revealed-banks-slashed-savings-rates-days-bank-rate-increased/

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 00:37, alison said:

You're claiming trackers are supposed to response immediately, then?  I rang a building soc. today which is running a recorded message that the tracker increase will take place on the first day of the month following the interest rate rise.

I'm claiming trackers are supposed to respond at the time contractually signed up to.  In this case I imagine that in the small print of a tracker account, there is a statement that rate changes will apply from the first day of the next month...

Bank holiday weekends inevitably bring hoards of cyclists and motorcyclists to our narrow country lanes who convienently forget people live and work in said countryside. Today I thought I was seeing things, someone riding a penny farthing with the necessary headphones on, completely oblivious to the two tractors and queue of cars trying to overtake him as he wobbled along. 

10 hours ago, Jane said:

Bank holiday weekends inevitably bring hoards of cyclists and motorcyclists to our narrow country lanes who convienently forget people live and work in said countryside. Today I thought I was seeing things, someone riding a penny farthing with the necessary headphones on, completely oblivious to the two tractors and queue of cars trying to overtake him as he wobbled along. 

Good grief!

8 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think Bank Holiday weekends should go into Room 101!!

When I was working I would have kept Christmas Day and Boxing Day and given everyone an extra week's leave instead.

have to have NY day (hangover), and the 4 day easter break, as well. Actually, I'd happily have at least one BH day every month! (except maybe November and February as they are such dreary months - rugby internationals excepted!)

5 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

have to have NY day (hangover), and the 4 day easter break, as well. Actually, I'd happily have at least one BH day every month! (except maybe November and February as they are such dreary months - rugby internationals excepted!)

You could use your extra week's leave how you saw fit!

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

You could use your extra week's leave how you saw fit!

true, but you'd have to fit in with colleagues (NY day for example) - all having the same days for a few days a year, suits me. Or suited rather, soon won't matter either way 🙂

11 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

true, but you'd have to fit in with colleagues (NY day for example) - all having the same days for a few days a year, suits me. Or suited rather, soon won't matter either way 🙂

Congratulations Dave - hopefully you're not having to count down too many weeks/day.  It's great that 'every day's a Saturday' but best not say out loud for those still working.

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

Congratulations Dave - hopefully you're not having to count down too many weeks/day.  It's great that 'every day's a Saturday' but best not say out loud for those still working.

redundancy no congratulationary matter sadly

56 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

redundancy no congratulationary matter sadly

I'm very sorry to read your news Dave - very thoughtless of me to make assumptions.  Sincere apologies and best wishes for the future.

42 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I'm very sorry to read your news Dave - very thoughtless of me to make assumptions.  Sincere apologies and best wishes for the future.

That's OK John, you weren't to know, and no offence taken this end

And thanks LinMM - I hope you're right! 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2014 at 13:42, Fonty said:

Edited to add, could someone please get rid of my earworm?  For some unknown reason I have got the song Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport running through my head.  :angry:

I thought we had a separate thread for earworms (apart from the "Misplaced ..." one), but we don't appear to, so:

Since the Last Night of the Proms on Saturday I haven't been able to get It's a Long Way to Tipperary out of my brain.  It's getting really annoying.

Couldn't believe what I read on the front page of the Evening Standard today:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/senior-met-officer-could-face-the-sack-for-using-whiter-than-white-phrase-a3936041.html

I know the teaching of English and other languages has gone seriously downhill in the past few decades, but even so I find such levels of linguistic ignorance shocking.  It's white as in the "colour", not white as in the pale, vaguely pinky shade of the skin of certain members of the human race.  Sheesh!

• Like 2

Not all that unbelievable - over here there are periodic blow-ups when someone correctly uses the word "niggardly" and then predictably gets accused of using a racial slur. In at least one case it led to the user being fired.

I saw that too Alison and was hoping it was a joke.  I can’t believe that in a time when the police are so strapped for cash that they are wasting their money and time on this rubbish.  So if anyone says “whitewash” , “blackballed “, “blacklisted “ etc are they going to get investigated?  The world has really gone mad, and freedom of speech is the main casualty of this ridiculous situation.   😢

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

To those of you who use tablets - how on earth do you manage it without tearing your hair out (assuming you have any)?!  I have one of those laptops you can turn into a tablet by removing the keyboard part, and decided to take it with me in tablet form on a trip to Brighton yesterday to lighten the load.  I started trying to fill in a longwinded form starting after Gatwick, and still hadn't finished it by the time we reached Brighton, which is probably 30 minutes later.  With all the attempts to get even my little finger into the right position on the screen (you couldn't enlarge it), and being shaken about so much that either the screen or I would be moved from its original place just as I finally hit the screen, trying to cope with drop-down menus, getting the cursor into the right place, keys not registering when pressed (despite flashing to indicate that I had actually pressed the key), having to backspace to insert the missing letters and so on, I was nearly at screaming point!

I'm going to do it now while I have a keyboard.  It'll probably take about 5 minutes.

A friend and I were trying to set up an Eventbrite form and a Council Application using her iPad (yes, I know other tablets are available) and gave up and went onto her laptop.

I then discovered that my friend is not technologically minded in terns of form filling and I have had my Mac so long I couldn't remember how to use Windows.

It took us the best part of 2 hours and a lot of angst to get them done.  It takes me about 20 minutes at home using my MacBook with keyboard!

• Like 1

Greetings-card manufacturers with their "Get well soon" cards.  What do you send to the person who isn't going to get well soon, or even at all?  Surely there must be some other formulations they can use which don't presuppose a quick recovery?  Why rub the sick person's nose in it?