Balletbabe

Hi everyone, so after auditioning for the past 2 days at WL year 7.

I'm curious to know how everyone feels about recalls as a lot of the girls were crying as they left.

Do we feel it's the end or there is still light at the end of the tunnel? 

My DD really thinks she doesn't stand a chance now. But the top dog did say it doesn't mean yes or no. 

I would love to hear your opinions as I'm going crazy 🤪 xx

There is the million dollar question!There were a limited number of girls last year who were not needed in call backs with a definite yes. The call backs were made up of pupils with something to check. Some of these call backs ended up as no’s and the rest yeses. 

You could speculate forever! 

No call back means they are very clear about  suitability for their training. 

Good luck to those waiting. 

Edited by Pointytoes

Sounds an awfully brutal process & whilst clearly not a sign one way or another for WL, just based on people’s traditional expectations of  show biz audition where some get recall & rest get cut it must be hard to not feel that. I wonder that this need to see a few for a bit more before deciding could not be handled more discreetly & diplomatically so no one child is left to Q if they are somehow in with less chance on the day. The wait for results must be agony enough without some leaving what ought to be a celebratory day - they made WL finals!!! - with a wonder if   already they are a no.... 

Theses are such young children & yes the audition process will be rigorous & decisions hard to reach but adding unnecessary speculation on the day is surely avoidable? 

Best wishes to all families at this time & I am sure good outcomes whatever the WL answer & family decisions will follow long term for your DC’s 

• Like 1

The ballet world is a brutal business. Too many people send their children into it with a romantic and idealist view. It is important that they learn this sooner then later if they stand any chance in such a competitive business. 

There isn’t anything indiscrete about the process at all, the checking process could be something very minor and ultimately parents should welcome this. A yes is a yes however the decision is taken. The urban myths of a brutal process must rather be seen as a meticulous one rather than dramatise a much needed procedure. 

The term ‘ living the dream’ should be put to rest but enabling young artistic atheltes to pursue an obsession perhaps more realistic. There will always be bumps along the way. We need to enable our young dancers to be resilient to compete post 16  and mentally strong, not wrap them in cotton wool! 

• Like 6

All children still leave the aforementioned process knowing they could be a yes but ultimately still a no, but that status is no different from their arrival! This in no way changes their achievement of getting this far. 

Edited by Pointytoes
  • Like 1

DD’s JA teacher explained that part of the function of the recall class is to weigh up and choose between students who tick all the boxes but would take the class over its quota of 12. Deliberations last year took far longer than expected, because they struggled with this.

Edited by SissonneDoublee
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pointytoes said:

And the fact some had to be seen later in the week as did not make the audition weekend due to the snow! 

Oh the snow! WL finals weekend ruined snow for me... until then I used to love it! Incredibly there was only one child that didn’t manage to get there.

In my DD’s year there were 13 places offered  for year 7 , 5 of those were not recalled which I assume meant they had seen enough to definitely want to offer them a place . The remaining 8 were recalled including Other children that were put on the reserve list .  I think it’s best not to read in to it too much the results will be here before you know it . Best of luck everyone . 

Hi @Balletbabe

From what I can see, the journey to professional dancer is about resilience and perseverance.

All I would tell you is that keep the faith in relation to your DD's ambitions, and realise that she has done enormously well to get this far. At this stage in her development, the RBS has recognised her potential to be world class. Although undoubtedly one of the best, the RBS is not the only school that can realise that potential. Fingers crossed for you and your DD, though.

• Like 1