5 minutes ago, JohnS said:

my brother and a friend simply asked at the Box Office a couple of hours beforehand.  

Which is a very sensible thing to do at any theatre where there are unsold tickets on the day of the performance!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I’ve never seen an offer advertised anywhere - my brother and a friend simply asked at the Box Office a couple of hours beforehand.  

For completeness perhaps I should say they had got some very restricted view tickets in the first place but I have no idea if that was a factor.

Thanks so, JohnS.  I'm sure the ROH BO sold the tickets to your associates on a face value basis (including any concessions such as are publicly registered) as I believe they are legally required to do.  

12 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Thanks so, JohnS.  I'm sure the ROH BO sold the tickets to your associates on a face value basis (including any concessions such as are publicly registered) as I believe they are legally required to do.  

There is no such law; they can sell tickets for whatever reduced price they want.

• Like 2

Surely "face value" is whatever price is printed on the front of the ticket?  So they can sell them for whatever they want, and print the ticket off accordingly?

• Like 2

The tickets were originally £70.

Edited by JohnS
Clarification

This is nothing new as far as the Young ROH scheme (students) is concerned though - my daughter got a great SC seat for Fille for £10 a few years ago.  IIRC the Students were sent a Student Standby email a day or two before offering single seats for £10; maybe they were returns. 

I was fortunate today that this is selling so slowly. At 1pm I got what I thought was a Friday rush ticket for tomorrow evening only to discover, when I got home & checked my emails some 4 hours later, that I'd accidentally booked for the matinee instead. I checked the website & found most of the evening rush tickets were still available so I phoned the box office & was able to swap (the assistant kindly didn't charge me). That'll teach me to try to simultaneously book an ROH rush ticket, book a National Theatre rush ticket & do the work I was supposed to be doing!

• Like 4

How lucky.  The evening is pretty well sold - I was quite surprised, but I suppose it's a Saturday evening.

Given how many stalls & more expensive stalls circle seats went between 1pm & 5pm, I think it's safe to assume that the student standby was in operation again.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Given how many stalls & more expensive stalls circle seats went between 1pm & 5pm, I think it's safe to assume that the student standby was in operation again.

You are correct. 

Not for the evening one, surely?  That was already pretty well-sold yesterday.

Both.

In the end, the student dates were: 5th, 11th, 12th, 18th, 20th, and 23rd evening and matinee. So 7 of 9.